hulika

Author Topic: Tuning machines slipping  (Read 899 times)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tuning machines slipping
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
Weird I've never had it happen before on sealed tuners, til just now. But I guess with my acoustic being a local build, it may just well be a defective 'OEM' part that's standard installation for most local luthiers. Anyway, 5 years na rin sya, I was tuning from D to E on the low E string, when something popped, and I had trouble even getting the string to any pitch.

Tried removing the back cap (guess what, no grease), cleaning the gears and applying light machine oil, before I pressed the back cover back in. Still skipped. I wiggled the shaft one way such that the gears are in better contact before winding the peg, and I got it functional, but for now it's just a temporary fix I'm afraid.

Definitely time to replace? Where can I readily buy gold Gotoh minis? Any other decent tuning heads that will also fit without modification and drilling?

soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Tuning machines slipping
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »
Must be a faulty gear on the machine head? I experience them at times when the machine head already begs to be replaced. Haha.

Now's the perfect time, though. Put your SE Santana's machine heads on your acoustic..... and get some Grover mini rotomatics or Schaller M9 for your PRS SE.  :-D

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tuning machines slipping
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »
Must be a faulty gear on the machine head? I experience them at times when the machine head already begs to be replaced. Haha.

Now's the perfect time, though. Put your SE Santana's machine heads on your acoustic..... and get some Grover mini rotomatics or Schaller M9 for your PRS SE.  :-D

Nakupo I don't want to. The SE is a well oiled machine as it is, I don't wanna tip the balance, and besides, I always got other things always waiting in line in terms of upgrades "wanting" (not needing).

This acoustic, though, could use some love. It needs better tuners.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore