hulika

Author Topic: What "tone moment" changed your life? (As a spectator or player)  (Read 10498 times)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What "tone moment" changed your life? (As a spectator or player)
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »
When I plugged my guitar into my tiny cheapo Yamaha Gigmaker bass practice amp. Those cleans sounded awesome!
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
from grade 5 to about a year after graduating college, I've only used strat -type guitars with single coils. I've always avoided using humbuckers thinking that "if a strat is good enough for Hendrix, then its good enough for me"....we'll that changed when I got a Barclay les paul copy with real Gibson humbuckers from a 70's Gibson lp custom.

"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
Hearing peter Buck, Marr, john squire, will sergeant, page hamilton and pete mengede when I was a kid and realizing that there were  other things you can do with a guitar besides those things that slash does.
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline kamoteflip

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »
Watching David Gilmour in "The Story Of Wish You Were Here" Floyd Documentary

and...

this snippet of Jimmy Page's part from "It Might Get Loud"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDsbOraiqg
h

Offline walanakamingyelo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
When I saw Tom Morello played Bullet in the Head for the first time in a video, as a kid back then, I wanted to take up the guitar and do what he did.   :)
Heart, Mind, Hands

Offline Kennyadry

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
after I watched dvd of the first G3 concert...yun nah, it gave me the dreamm
"I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”

Offline kabuki

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2014, 03:03:49 AM »

Little Wing!!!! Steve Vai version  :-D
INERO/SUBASKO

Offline opencoke

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2014, 06:22:24 AM »
Simula nung naikabit ko sa strat ko ung paf joe at breed bridge ko.

Napangitan ako sa tunog ng gitara ko nung nasa washburn superstrat ko ung pickups na yan, pero nung nilagay ko sa strat ko, boom ang sarap ng tunog. Never ko na inalis sa strat ko ung pickups na yon hanggang ngayon.
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2014, 10:18:13 PM »
I started playing guitar way back grade 4 elementary. at first I was just borrowing a neighbor's guitar, since brownout palagi, walang magawa. My brothers got me listening into GNR and Metallica. My acoustic sounded nothing like those distorted sounds, I knew i had to have an electric guitar. My goal then was to get an electric guitar and an amp. and I did just that, basta electric guitar and amp. so I finally got my first electric guitar 1st year highschool, Rj Rocker na blood red and black; and a hot cabs amp. it still didnt sound like those bands.

Enter pedals, so nung highschool, Puro pedals, distortion this distortion that. My rig got pretty close to the sound I was looking for which was at this point black album, MOP type. Then I also got a delay and a wah for the GNR stuff. But still parang may kulang. I also tried out listening to other trash metal bands - megadeth, sepultura, slayer, pantera. It was nice jamming with songs from these bands.

Then nung wala ng nilalabas na album ung 2 favorite bands ko, nag try out ako ng Nu metal stuff, disturbed, korn etc. pero wala di dumikit sa akin ung genre na to. i just tried listening and then practiced some songs then nanawa ako.

College days, I got into led Zeppellin. that was the tone moment for me. Hinde mabigat ung tunog ni Jimmy Page pero wow! makapal na lead sound tapos iba ung tone nung gitara. That moment i knew, thats the guitar sound i want. It was Page's Plexis going on full blast. :) So I researched and that got me into Tube Amp territory, which also made me realize, the reason why i can't get Slash tone after years and years was because he as using a tube amp, and all I got before were solid states. 

Jimmy Page and Tube amps Changed my life. :)

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2014, 07:33:08 PM »
as a player, when I switched from digial to analog setup. I can say that i found my sound using analog pedals.

AS a spectator: 2008 Bangkok Thailand, saw Dream Theater, I was literally 10feet away from them and in front of the speaker. It was loud but it was sweet. you really hear all the notes including the ghost notes of JP and Myung.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline d_one

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
As a player, when I switched my neck pup to a Seymour Duncan Alnico pup. Sarap nya sa clean! I fell in love with my guitar again after that, and I still am!  :cute:

Offline caloyness

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:05 AM »
as a player, when I switched from digial to analog setup. I can say that i found my sound using analog pedals.

AS a spectator: 2008 Bangkok Thailand, saw Dream Theater, I was literally 10feet away from them and in front of the speaker. It was loud but it was sweet. you really hear all the notes including the ghost notes of JP and Myung.

Dream theater..sweet Jesus  :cute:

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
I just had another "tone moment" kanina lang at nawala ang isip sa mga distractions sa music (sneakers hype, phone hype, etc). Sa karinderya, may isang maliit na radyo, ang tugtog ay Another Brick in the Wall ng Pink Floyd. Sa solo part, biglang ohmaygawd, pakiramdam ko may amp dun sa kanto. Naisip ko, wow anywhere I hear that solo, kahit sa earphones, sa laptop, sa home theater, wow ang ganda talaga ng pakarecord at pagtugtog ni David sa part na yun.

Offline KennyKen

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
Two tones lang ang tumatak sa utak ko (both leads and rhythm)

George Lynch's tone in ''UNDER LOCK and KEY'' and Vinnie Moore's tone in ''MELTDOWN''

honorable mention : Marty Friedman's tone in ''Countdown to Extinction''

I dunno but I have a thing on 80's fat tone with heavy delay that works great with wide sweeping vibratos, para akong nilalabasan pag nakakarinig ako ng ganito  :drool:

These tones were impossible to achieve ten (or so) years ago using a relatively cheap to midrange gear.......Now with the advent of ampsims and computers  lahat Posible na!  :wave:

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2015, 12:36:31 AM »
Red House by Buddy Guy in the Jimi Hendrix Tribute Album, Stone Free

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2015, 11:29:50 PM »
After hearing Criss Oliva's (Savatage) lead tone in Edge of Thorns and that bad@ss gritty rhythm tone of Jerry Cantrell in Facelift. And not just the tone but also the playing styles got me too.
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
Ngayon ko lang nadiscover yung Toe. Tone moment not just for guitar, para na rin sa mix.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »
^Oo kahit live sir! wa.

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »
Eric Clapton's concert last 2011. parang may magic yung tunog ng strat nya. grabe, iba talaga pag live.
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
I've only lately started listening to Joe Bonnamassa, and have realized his tone and gain is what I've been hearing in my head, and is the way I would love to play most of the time - IF only I had the chops.

Robben Ford's and Larry Carlton's music made me aware of that sexy Dumbly lead tone that I love to hear, and continue to appreciate and listen to. Never mind that I will never have the chops or gear to approximate what I hear in recorded music.

Am most definitely just a spectator... just love hearing those tones.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:17:56 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »
as a listener, i've always tried to ponder on the local scenes and avoid the stuff they have or use on a live situation that doesn't go well to my ears and for the other listeners too, many i have seen and heard live, and compared the live to the studio recorded tracks, madami talagang malayo ang tunog sa live.

sa foreign naman, sa dinami dami ng napanuod ko, nothing beats to my ears ky Steve Lukather of Toto and of course JP of DT, ewan ko ba kung my magic ang kamay nila o dahil sa MM nila, hehehe
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline chipsdelight

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2015, 08:28:18 AM »
When I heard the sound of a Mexican Strat sa isang maliit at mumurahin na amp 7 years ago. Nakita ko ang napakalaking difference ng tunog ng ok na gitara vs generic. Mula noon nag umpisa na ang GAS ko sa mga ok na gitara at let go na sa mga starting guitars.

Noong bata kasi, first impression ko ay kahit anong gitara pwede basta ok ang hardware, at bahala na ang effects at amp sa magiging tunog nya. Pero mali pala ako. Haha. Mula noon naging interesado na ako sa mga magagandang tone na gitara, pero bihira lang bumili.. hehe

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
when i heard PNE lead guitarst play.

i immediately told myself, " I will/should/ought to/must NEVER have that tone".
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25