hulika

Author Topic: How do you define a CREDIBLE artist?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
How do you define a CREDIBLE artist?
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:32:42 AM »
I don't know.  But what I can say for sure is you're not credible if you switch from one mainstream genre to another.  Nothing wrong if you evolve from playing one genre to another for as long as you become ground-breaking.  But as for the "I play what's in" folks, you simply wanna live in the "Planet of The Cool" as said by Lester Bangs (Almost Famous).

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How do you define a CREDIBLE artist?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:41:21 PM »
I don't know.  But what I can say for sure is you're not credible if you switch from one mainstream genre to another.  Nothing wrong if you evolve from playing one genre to another for as long as you become ground-breaking.  But as for the "I play what's in" folks, you simply wanna live in the "Planet of The Cool" as said by Lester Bangs (Almost Famous).

eto na yung answer para sakin.

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:43:53 PM »
when people mention "credible" artists, the first thing that comes to mind is a band that doesn't "sell out."

Offline IncX

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:15:53 AM »
IncX-ionary defines Credible Artist as:

someone who knows what he is talking about, has beliefs to back up the material he/she releases... has the intelligence to critic his own work and therefore improve it on the next albums. and finally, is realistic enough to know his real strengths and weaknesses and never attempt to sing in C#m when he knows he can't hit that key.

and oh... doesn't give a sh*t about the underground nor the mainstream... he knows who his audiences are, and lets the management decide on how to label them.

example of credible artists:

Trent Reznor, Ian Mckaye (not sure if i spelled the name right), Les Claypool, Paul Mcartney (i dont like him though, but you gotta have respect for that guy), Pat Metheny (he knows his jazz. im not a fan though). i cant come up with pinoy counterparts.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:21:01 AM by IncX »

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:19:53 AM »
The definition of a "credible" artist(or a true "artist" for that matter) is someone who has total creative freedom to express himself, not afraid to experiment or explore the uncharted realms of his art & most especially someone who is making art not really to make money but to satisfy his inner creative hunger.

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:04:01 AM »
If you want to be a credible person in the music business here in the Philippines, and are in a local band, you go one of two ways:

1) You make sure you got brilliant PR management, and you make sure that you are careful around other people in the music biz.

2) Just be who you are, and don't play up the artist or the rock star thing. just be a person, doing what you want or need to do.