hulika

Author Topic: String gauge for Slipknot/Periphery/Alter Bridge/Tremonti/Chevelle?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Pfizer

• Forum Fanatic
Hey guys, I'm looking to play some stuff from the above mentioned bands. I was just wondering what string gauges you would suggest for them? I'm not a professional musician by any means, but I do play in a cover band so I've currently got 3 electrics and an acoustic.

My main guitar is a JP6 which basically lives in E-standard/Drop D/Eb, strung with Ernie Ball 09-42 strings. I don't mess around with the tuning too much on this guitar because of the floating trem.

I have two other guitars, an Ibanez 652FX and a PRS SE Custom 24 with the trem blocked.

My question is what gauge strings to use on those two guitars to be able to play the stuff from the bands I mentioned? Like I said, I'm limited financially so I can't get a guitar for every tuning. Those three guitars are my entire arsenal  :cry:

I'm thinking of using EBMM Not-Even-Slinkys 12-56 on the Ibanez and Dunlop Heavy Core 11-50 on the PRS SE. Will this let me play the tunings below without the strings being all floppy once everything is set up?

Here are the tunings for the bands I mentioned:

Periphery:
Open Cadd9 (CGCEGD) - "Scarlet"
D standard with Drop A - "The Bad Thing"
AGCFAD - "Alpha"
Bb Drop Ab - "Icarus Lives"
D Drop C - "Heavy Heart", "Luck As Constant" "Pale Aura"

Tremonti/Alter Bridge:
C# Drop B
C Standard
C# Standard
D Standard
Open B
Eb Drop Db
Bb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

Slipknot:
B Drop A

Chevelle:
C Drop Bb

Your help and advice would be very much appreciated!

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: String gauge for Slipknot/Periphery/Alter Bridge/Tremonti/Chevelle?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 03:18:36 AM »
Instead of worrying about strings, maybe you should get yourself a Digitech Drop pedal. That way you can use the same gauge of string you always use but still have the ability to switch tunings.

Offline KennyKen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:06:10 AM »
Dropped tunings sound significantly better on 26.5 inch (or higher) scale guitars because the don't get muddy on the low end...While Slapping a thicker gauge string  is the most logical solution for this ,  If i were you  I would consider selling either of those guitars to fund for an Ibanez RGD kung nananalaytay talaga sa dugo mo ang mga dropped-tuned songs  :-D

Offline knet370

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
periphery uses 11-56 d'addario NYXL/ EXL117 most of the time for their 6's in drop c tuning. this gauges also comes as a default for both misha, mark and jake's respective signature guitars from their respective manufacturers. in my personal experience aswell, i like the tension of this specific gauge in drop c. i tried using dr drop tuning ddt-12 12-60 gauges and to me feels too tight.

Offline Pfizer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 03:48:01 AM »
Instead of worrying about strings, maybe you should get yourself a Digitech Drop pedal. That way you can use the same gauge of string you always use but still have the ability to switch tunings.

I have tried a Digitech Drop Pedal and they do quite a reasonably good job emulating different tunings. I'm reconsidering it.

Dropped tunings sound significantly better on 26.5 inch (or higher) scale guitars because the don't get muddy on the low end...While Slapping a thicker gauge string  is the most logical solution for this ,  If i were you  I would consider selling either of those guitars to fund for an Ibanez RGD kung nananalaytay talaga sa dugo mo ang mga dropped-tuned songs  :-D

Kung baritone guitar kaya pwede din? Wala na kasi akong makitang RGD na 6-strings eh.

periphery uses 11-56 d'addario NYXL/ EXL117 most of the time for their 6's in drop c tuning. this gauges also comes as a default for both misha, mark and jake's respective signature guitars from their respective manufacturers. in my personal experience aswell, i like the tension of this specific gauge in drop c. i tried using dr drop tuning ddt-12 12-60 gauges and to me feels too tight.

That's great to know! I've always been a little doubtful going as high as the 12-60s because it does feel a bit too hard to pick on them. What string gauge would you suggest for the Tremonti and Slipknot stuff? Do I need to go heavier? I've heard that Jim Root uses custom gauges for his C# Drop B and Drop A songs.

Offline knet370

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »
their was a phase in the genre i was playing and one was slipknot, personally ive been using this gauges for drop A, .012, .016, .020, .030, .40, .064. custom order though from circle K strings now known as kaliumstrings.com. for C# drop to B  the nyxl/exl117 will still do but change the 56 to 58 or maybe a 60.

Offline Pfizer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 04:23:16 AM »
Salamat po ng madami sa advice, mga master  :-D

Eto po yung iniisip ko:
13-72 EB Slinky Baritone strings or 12-64 Kalium Strings for Drop A
12-56 EB Not Even Slinky for B, C, Drop C
10-50 EB Power Slinky or 11-56 D'Addario NYXL for Eb to C#

That's 3 guitars for downtuning + 1 guitar for E standard. Ok na po kaya yun?

Nabasa ko din yung Guitar World interview with Jim Root,  custom gauges for Drop A songs daw ang gamit nya(12-64 gauge, instead of a 58 for the lowest string)

Lastly, medyo nag-aalala lang ako dun 13-72 strings; baritone guitar ba dapat ang gamit ko, o pwede na yung 25.5 inch scale? Kailangan ba talaga ng ganun kabigat na strings para sa Drop A?

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »
I just buy 7 string sets and tune to drop B on my Jazzmaster for doom metal.
Offset guitars for life.