hulika

Author Topic: is it necessary for...  (Read 2354 times)

Offline SRV

is it necessary for...
« on: December 24, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »
is it necessary for every guitarist to have a metronome??? may nakita po kasi ako korg MA-30... nagustuhan ko pero hindi ko alam kung bibilhin ko yun o hindi.. baka kasi sayang lang sa pera..

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: is it necessary for...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »
yup... its on e fo the most important tools any guitarist can have

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 10:59:44 PM »
Kung kaya mo namang tumugtog in synch with a band kahit hindi ka na bumili.  Pero kung may gusto kang buuin na mabibilis na part, malaking tulong din ang metronome.

jakobspiral

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 02:13:27 AM »
unless you wanna shred (which i highly doubt coz SRV ang handle mo)... not really.

"Weird Metronome" is a free downloadable metronome from the web. I use it coz it's free and maliit lang ang filesize. :-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 03:53:19 AM »
is it necessary for every guitarist to have a metronome??? may nakita po kasi ako korg MA-30... nagustuhan ko pero hindi ko alam kung bibilhin ko yun o hindi.. baka kasi sayang lang sa pera..

yes. you need it to properly time your phrasing, timing and picking syncopation.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 08:16:02 AM »
They say so, but in 46 years, I've never had one.

Never had a lesson either.  Entirely self taught and can't read music.
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Chito

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 08:47:47 AM »
Some need it and some don't. It helps for when you are recording stuff on your own tho.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 09:29:18 AM »

Yes, but after playing for twenty some odd years, I still can't read metronome either.  :lol:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:47:39 AM »

same here....I have one now...I don't use it...its a cheap one $4.99
I use it...my playing feel so mechanical. I hate it. Its good for classical [gooey brown stuff].
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 10:16:33 AM »

Coming from a classical piano perspective, it is a necessity for me out of habit.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Avayaman

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 10:26:15 AM »
i'd rather buy a guitar tuner. but metronomes help you measure yourself, set goals for yourself, especially if you want to shred. also helps you on odd meters. +1 on the classical thing.

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:38:36 AM »
i'd rather buy a guitar tuner. but metronomes help you measure yourself, set goals for yourself, especially if you want to shred. also helps you on odd meters. +1 on the classical thing.

I don't want to get one because after all of these years of playing guitar and thinking I'm getting decent at it, I don't want to find out how much I really suck.
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 10:50:24 AM »
Some people have has a sense of rhythm so a metronome is not essential. But for those who are having trouble with timing, a metronome would be a very useful tool. It is also very good for beginners. :wink:
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline Avayaman

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 10:59:18 AM »
I don't want to get one because after all of these years of playing guitar and thinking I'm getting decent at it, I don't want to find out how much I really suck.

actually, since most guitarists start out playing to some record, they get a sense of rythm. also, since 99% of songs we hear from the radio are 4/4 time, it's pretty easy to follow from that. it seems we have that 4/4 time built into us already. i've actually tried to follow a metronome while playing, it got my timing off since i was too focused on listening to the beat/following it instead. although some people do swear by it, so my suggestion is to download a freeware metronome and see if you like it. if it does, then go ahead and buy one!

happy playing!  :-)

Offline IncX

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 11:21:21 AM »

i tried playing with a metronome... i got bored with it since i'm thinking "hey, it doesnt matter whether i can play 7/4 perfectly since i will definitely still end up playing with the metronome of the drummer anyway." not to mention that the online metronome cant compete with the volume of my playing, hehehe!

im not downplaying the importance of the metronome since it is a good essential tool when you are recording and playing along to a drum machine. it took me hours to play along to a drum machine actually, hehehehe...  the damn machine cant auto correct itself and pace you everytime your timing is off. that's why id rather get a good drummer than learn how to play with a metronome. i know a lot of guitar players that are good, and they dont play with a metronome... they know the importance of having an inner metronome though.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »
i prefer drum machines. Mas nakakatulong kasing ma-feel mo ang groove. :-)
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 02:51:14 PM »
People are confusing performance with practice. Play to a metronome when practicing but you gotta let go of that crutch when actual playing time comes.

The metronome isn't to blame for stiff playing, it doesn't play your guitar for you.

Besides, there are more creative approaches to metronome practice other than "TOK, tik, tik, tik, TOK, tik, tik, tik"

A great example is Tomo Fujita's vid clip on Youtube

He is far from stiff and he's playing Blues, Funk and R&B grooves.