hulika

Author Topic: Woodworking question: enlarging Tele / guitar cavities using a power drill  (Read 862 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hi guys! I'm looking to enlarge the control cavity of my Tele, as well as the jack input cavity. Thing is I only have a power drill and basic tools at hand.

Is there a set of bits that I can attach to my power drill to use on the cavity? What are they called? Need to know their names so I can tell the hardware store exactly what I am looking for, as well as google it and show it to them in case they are not familiar with the names. Salamat!
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
At the top of my head, I'd use Forstner bits of different diameters (depending on what I'll need.. usually 15mm and up.). This will eat a lot of area fast and considerably cleaner, compared to using your ordinary drill bits.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
I see. What about for the oblong control cavity? I'd need to make it wider by 1-3mm, and the only thing that comes to mind is using sandpaper and doing it by hand. Thoughts?
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
I see. What about for the oblong control cavity? I'd need to make it wider by 1-3mm, and the only thing that comes to mind is using sandpaper and doing it by hand. Thoughts?

If you don't have a router, try using chisel. Takes a bit of elbow grease though  8-)

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
dremel with router

"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline horge

I see. What about for the oblong control cavity? I'd need to make it wider by 1-3mm.

Only 3mm?
Chisel and mallet.
*protip: make sure the chisel is VERY well sharpened/honed, and depending on the wood used for
the body, you may not even need to use a mallet.

If you had a drill press, and could secure the body firmly, you might be able to use a 1" forstner bit
for the rounded ends of the cavity (if you do it by hand, papalag ang drill kasi there's nothing for
the bit to center onto), but then I doubt you have to widen the rounded ends of the cavity anyway,
and there's greater risk of the control plate failing to cover the enlargement if you do

For giggles/info:
The control cavity in vintage Fender Telecasters ranges from 1" to 1 1/8" in width (in the modern
Fender Teles it is 1 and 3/32" wide). Since CTS pots are up to an inch wide, as opposed to  smaller
and older Stackpoles, nagiging issue talaga minsan ang sikip.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:11:24 PM by horge »