hulika

Author Topic: Alpha Lexicon experts  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Bagong Patunog

• Netizen Level
Alpha Lexicon experts
« on: February 18, 2007, 02:49:17 AM »
Any experts here in Alpha Lexicon desktop recording?

Here is my setup:

Alpha Lexicon 8 track hardware desktop recording
Cubase LE
Pentium IV
Alesis drum machine

My Alpha output goes to my 10 watts Marshall (amp/speaker). It is also connected to my PC via USB. The Alpha allows you two instrument (input) at the same time but I never did since I'm just doing this myself. I uses the Intrument (line-in) for any instrument I want to record in a track. You can use the Monitor Mix knob to listen to previous tracks and your plugged in instrument.

The problem is if I have for example 3 tracks (drum beats, rythm guitar and bass) and I add up the 4th track for lead guitar, every 5 minutes there is this loud "crack/distorted" sound coming out of the speaker and I lose my concentration and its so loud the only way to stop it is to stop Cubase running or power off the Marshall amp.

I tried changing cables and re-installed Cubase and drivers with no luck. When I use my Marshall amp just by itself it never happens. Has any of you guys there experienced this? You help is greatly appreciated.  :-)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Alpha Lexicon experts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:06:03 AM »
are you using your guitar amp for monitoring or doing a bit of reamping?  it is very probable that the alpha has line level outs and that your amp certainly has instrument level in's.  this will definitely degrade the sound quality but will probably not cause the crackling sound you are experiencing.  (why not monitor using regular speakers/home component if studio monitors aren't available?)

you may try increasing the buffer size in cubase.  i am able to adjust buffer settings via a software app that came with my audio interface.  hope that helps.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline Bagong Patunog

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »
Yes I am using my guitar amp. It is connected in the Line Out of the Alpha Lexicon. The Apha Lexicon studio gives you the ability to hear the analog input signals directly and immediately while recording. The Monitor Mix know from the Alpha Lexicon is used to adjust the blend between the Alpha Lexicon live analog inputs (called Direct) and audio coming back from the computer via USB (Playback).

I will try to adjust the buffer size in Cubase. Do you know where? Thanks.

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:10:57 PM »
I will try to adjust the buffer size in Cubase. Do you know where? Thanks.

changing buffer size in cubase le should be under device setup> vst multitrack

i aint no audio engineer but im starting to play around with cubase also.

BTW... if your having hard time with your hardware... im willing to buy it hehe.

RAKENROL~!!

Offline Bagong Patunog

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:04:26 PM »
Thank you chito_eoi. By the way, you guys sound great! Why would you want another LE? Just curious.

Do you have any hint as to what triggers that annoying "cracked/distorted" sound while recording? You probably want to know why before you buy it right?  :-)

I got it 6 months ago and never had that problem before. The first test was Selosa (beta version).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=155546130

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 02:28:27 PM »
i did have the same problem b4, i have a small set-up at my ofice in pampanga...

i tried using UPS on my pc and amp... the noise just went bye-bye
found out that the electric current flow on my place sucks

Offline Bagong Patunog

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »
Hmm. My amp is using a powerstrip that is plugged to another powerstrip. The wall power outlet in my garage is a GFCI protected outlet (whatever that is). Let me remove one powerstrip and see what happens.  :-)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 11:05:22 PM »
aba aba chits nandito ka na rin sa pro audio ah hehehe

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline Bagong Patunog

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »
are you using your guitar amp for monitoring or doing a bit of reamping?  it is very probable that the alpha has line level outs and that your amp certainly has instrument level in's.  this will definitely degrade the sound quality but will probably not cause the crackling sound you are experiencing.  (why not monitor using regular speakers/home component if studio monitors aren't available?)

you may try increasing the buffer size in cubase.  i am able to adjust buffer settings via a software app that came with my audio interface.  hope that helps.

Hi again Starfugger. I was thinking about what you said using a home speaker component. First, my Alpha has the instrument for input and then it goes out to the 10 watts marshall amp/speaker. The alpha is also connected to the computer via the USB acting as the "interface". Are you saying if I have recorded the drum beats & bass on the first two tracks I can record my third track and playback it from a home speaker component and still have the first two tracks playback in the marshall amp/speaker? If so, I can probably just use my PC soundcard for the home speaker component right?

Let me take advantage of you. Pardon my "kapalmoks". Last question. If I want to record with a live band then I would need more line input in my alpha right? We are talking of (guitar, keyboard, vocal, bass) + (probably 5 mics) for the drums comes to a total of 9 inputs. Is that how it goes?  :-)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:01:09 AM by Bagong Patunog »

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »
as i understand it... your marshall amp is connected to the output of the lexicon as your monitoring? and the instruments your using is connected to the input of the lexicon? If thats the case... you got it all wrong dude.

heres how your chain should look like.

i made it as simple as possible so youll understand the basic chain in recording

Note: the monitor speakers I sampled are Active Monitors

PEACE!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 02:46:30 AM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline Bagong Patunog

• Netizen Level
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 06:38:37 AM »
This is my setup.

The manual says it works both ways using either the 1/4 line out or the RCA line out. I see you are using the RCA line output connection to a monitor speakers.

Going back to the Monitor Mix, my question is can I leave all recorded tracks to playback in the marshall amp/speaker (using the left 1/4 line output) and use a monitor speaker or another poweramp for the instrument (using the RCA connection) to add another track? Is that possible?

If the 1st, 2nd tracks are occupied by the drum beats and bass playback to marshall amp/speaker (using 1/4 line out) will Cubase let me add the 3rd track for guitars using the RCA line out to a monitor speaker?

Thanks,
BP