hulika

Poll

What's your favorite Juan de la Cruz song?

Himig Natin
9 (45%)
Balong Malalim
1 (5%)
Mamasyal sa Pilipinas
0 (0%)
Beep Beep
8 (40%)
Titser's Enemy #1
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: April 22, 2006, 08:10:28 AM

Author Topic: Pepe Smith Tributes  (Read 6729 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« on: April 22, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »
It's a whole bunch of Pepe Smith tributes on PhilMusic.com going up this week in commemoration of the premiere of the documentary "Pepe Smith: Ama ng Pinoy Rock" by Howie Severino, airing on GMA7's iWitness. We've got features, photos, and even a video interview coming up.

Leave your comments and impresssions on Pepe the Hepe right here!

Story:
PEPE SMITH: Ama ng Pinoy Rock
http://www.philmusic.com/blog/index.php?p=187

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 08:18:02 AM »
every song done by him...hehe THAT is an awesome picture of him 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline wallflower

Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 02:33:27 AM »
lahat ng juan dela cruz songs da best!!  :lol:  :lol:
If you ever feel worthless and low, just remember that you where once the fastest sperm out of millions...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 07:48:03 AM »

I posted a couple of video clips of Pepe on PhilMusic's news blog. One is a brief performance clip, and the other is an interview I did with Pepe about what he's been up to lately...

The clips are up on:
http://www.philmusic.com/blog/index.php?p=188

Check ' em out!

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 05:17:59 AM »
Bakit wala ang "No Touch"?

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:09:06 AM »
"No Touch" is a Mike Hanopol solo song. grabe ang payat na lalo ni Pepe Smith ah hehe but who cares, he can still rock and roll :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 05:02:35 PM »
Great video Jim.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 09:17:33 AM »
This is an amusing interview I found archived in the Manila Standard... so it's not true that too much drugs are bad for you eh?

Interview by Totel de Jesus
Pepe Smith: National artist?
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=goodLife01_oct06_2005

Would it be OK if I ask you about your health?

Type na type ko `yan.

What health drugs are you taking now, I mean, like vitamins?

Yero, gulong, bakal (laughter). No, not really vitamins. I eat corn flakes sa umaga, whipped cream, oatmeal, wheat bread, ganun lang.

Do you still eat meat?

I am meat. Without the S. I am Pepe Meat (laughter). That's number one on my list.

Do you get high-blood pressure?

I only get high but no blood (guffaw.) No, not at all. Seriously, if someone or something pisses me off, na ha-high blood ako. Natural lang. I got a healthy heart.

Is it true that about 10 years ago, straight from prison, you had a mandatory medical exam and you got a clean bill of health?

Yeah that's right. After two years in prison, there's the required medical test. Even the doctor was surprised, rather, disappointed. We were waiting for the result in his clinic and while looking at my papers, he shook his head in disbelief. He actually said he can't (sic) believe it. He was a bit angry pa ata kasi binagsak n'yang padabog yung papers sa table nya. Parang newborn baby daw ako. No trace of any sickness. Blood pressure 120/80, ganun. We were all laughing at the clinic. Wow, I was very much thankful to the Lord. I was surprised and very happy also because I was expecting that the side effects of the drugs I took over the years would come out. Akala ko lalabas `yung mga nagtatagong sakit sa mga ugat ko. I was proud. S'yempre lagi na lang tayong napapag-isipan e. Ngayon pwede ko na silang sabihan na,`o ano'? Anong pinagbibintang n'yo sa akin?

How many hours of sleep do you get now?

Wow...in Baguio for the past four years, eight o' clock or nine o' clock pa lang ng gabi tulog na ko. Then I wake up at five or six in the morning.

Do you still smoke?

Yeah, pine tree, hinihithit ko yan.

How many sticks a day?

Mga 3,000 sticks a day (guffaw). Kidding aside, one or two packs a day.

How about exercise?

Climbing stairs and roads. Kasi in Baguio ang daming hagdanan at paakyat ng mga kalsada di ba? Which is OK kasi it's a natural kind of exercise.

You don't have difficulties climbing stairs?

Syempre `pag walang nakatingin, gapang. No, naman. Kaya naman.

Do you feel anything painful in your body, like signs of arthritis and rheumatism?

I feel something painful in my fingers and my back but I don't know if it's arthritis or rheumatism. Dapat balikan ko `yung doctor na nag-checkup sa kin e. Papagalitan ko (guffaw). Once in while, I got fever, cold or cough. Wala naman akong major ailment. I feel cool. I feel great. But of course, I think I need another checkup. I need someone to look into my systems very soon.

Is it true that you survived a vehicular accident last year?

Yes, that's true. My friends and I came from a party and we had too much to drink. There was a 10-wheeler truck before us that stopped instantly, our driver failed to step on the brakes on time and we hit the truck from behind. I was sitting in front. I forgot to put my seatbelt on. Upon impact, my jaw hit the dashboard, near the aircon. I got a broken jaw, right here (pointing both sides of his face). Now, robot na ako. The doctor had to put some platinum plates to connect my jaw to my face. It was painful to eat during the first few months. OK na ngayon. And thankfully, my voice wasn't affected at all.

After that, do you consider this life as your second?

No, third na yata or fourth (laughter). There were many times when I passed out I felt Death coming in but he left as fast as he came.

Are you still sexually active?

Oh, I'm not going to lie. Am not gonna hide anything. Yes I am.

How did you survive the '70s, when everyone's heavy on sex, drugs, and rock n' roll?

Actually I wasn't there. I was hiding under my bed all the time (laughter). Drugs would fall down from someone else's pocket and roll down under the bed and I would pick `em up and take them. Then I discovered the Philippines! (guffaw). No. Seriously, yun na nga ang masakit dun e. That's the hardest thing. Yung reputasyon mo. Ang tingin sa yo, ganun. If people see me and my speech is kinda slurry, they would conclude, `a `yan si Pepe, bangag na naman yan. Then you hear this balita. But all they have to do is approach me and ask me. Siguro in the `70s. Noon yun. I was jamming all around. I was a young roller then. Pero I kept my cool over these things—a puff of this, a pill of that, a tablet of this, then a ton of ano (laughter).

Mind expanding drugs you took?

LSD, mescaline, cenoxybine mushroom all those psycho-traffic drugs.

Did you ever get suicidal?

I think I'm a ghost (guffaw). Did I ever get suicidal? No, never. There were some bad trips. There was a time when I was heavy on downers, I passed out. I had a friend who I used to shoot with barbiturates like xeconal in his room. Those were the days. Am so glad I went through that and I survived. Am not gonna do that again. Well, if I'm given another life, probably I'm gonna shoot some more (laughter).

Now, before performing, do you still take something to warm you up?

No, natural na. `Di na ako bata, man. All those drug adventures and all that. They were way, way back. I won't be able to reach this stage and age if I am still heavy on drugs, man. Wala na yun e. Natatawa na lang ako pag may nakakakita sa kin tapos sasabihin, `Ay si Pepe o, bangag na naman yan.' But now, if I have to be up onstage, I'm completely normal, 100-percent normal. Normally stoned (guffaw). No, never.

Do you find pirated copies of Audiosyncrazies?

Wala pa. `Yung Juan dela Cruz, there are a lot. In Baguio, sa Session Road, nakahilera. Whenever I see pirated copies of our albums, I talk to the vendors. I beg them to spare our albums. If they have to do that, sabi ko `yung sa iba na lang. I explain to them na I earn nothing from that. Talo kami. If piracy continues, pare, time will come no one will go into recording anymore.

Do you still get royalties from your former recording companies?

With Vicor, wala na nga e. Dapat tingnan nila `yung mga nakaligtaan nila sa amin. Like ring tones. There are about six or seven songs from Juan dela Cruz used as ring tones. We were asking for some formal reports but there's nothing. Si Wally (Gonzales, Juan dela Cruz' lead guitarist) nga, he's very much pissed off. He's the one handling all the legalities for Juan dela Cruz.

Do you see yourself living up to what age? Say 30 more years?

I think am gonna last until 150 years (guffaw). No, seriously, my grandmother died when she was 88 or 89. I think I can do that. Ang hirap sabihin no? I think I'll pass that age. By that time robotics na siguro ako, puro bakal na ko sa kamay (demonstrating a puppet-like arms movement), howdy-howdy-howdy. I don't know pare but minsan, nagdadasal na lang ako, `Lord, kunin mo na ko, nakakainis na dito'."

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 11:58:12 PM »
The guy's a fvcking grizzled hedonism veteran. A regular Keith Richards.

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 01:33:36 PM »
Yan ang role model sa music...................... with pride.

Offline Tedmod

• Netizen Level
Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:10:03 AM »
Umuuwi pa kaya sya sa Kamuning - k3rd?
DUn ako lumaki.. nakikita ko siya lagi dun. hehehe

roaa_musicstudio

pepe your the man
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 04:47:07 AM »
pepe is cool........pepe is one of a kind.......pepe is something......pepe is extraordinary......pepe smith ayuuuuuuuuuuussssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: pepe your the man
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »
Quote from: roaa_musicstudio
pepe is cool........pepe is one of a kind.......pepe is something......pepe is extraordinary......pepe smith ayuuuuuuuuuuussssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolly, ikaw ba yan?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline khuji

• Philmusicus Noobitus
pepe the movie
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 11:16:41 AM »
just thinking,why not do a movie about pepe smith and the juan dela cruz band.sana may gumawa naman nun para maiba naman,sigurado may mapuplot naman tayo na aral sa kanila,,and hope na sana magaling yung mag direk  tulad ni raymond red,and yung prodikson sana magaling para makatotohanan,hehehe,tyak madaming manonood nun lalo na yung mga rockers,,hehehe

Offline khuji

• Philmusicus Noobitus
juan dela cruz movie
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 02:44:16 PM »
again,,hope na sana may maka isip na gumawa nang movie nila,at kung mag karoon man,sana masama ako kahit extra lang,,hehehe,i think its gonn be a good movie,hehehe

roaa_musicstudio

Re: pepe your the man
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 03:02:06 PM »

Rolly, ikaw ba yan?

Rolly, ikaw ba yan?

yup ako nga sino po sila...?

www.roaa.cjb.net

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pepe Smith Tributes
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 01:53:33 PM »
wag lang si piolo pascual ang gaganap

opinion ko lang...parang si rico blanco pwede sa role may experience na sya sa pelikula nyuk nyuk nyuk
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline mangjay

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 09:25:17 PM »
Pepe Smith will be here at Olongapo City on December 22, 2006..

together with one of Olongapo's finest, Friction Band..

see you all here..

P150.00 lang makakakita ka na ng isang "Living Legend"..

Offline jeggae

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 09:41:05 PM »
iba talaga si pepe.. :-D
ayus..

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 03:53:24 AM »
I had a chance to meet him once, the guy has a great sense of humor, long live Pepe the Hepe!

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline mike santos

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 12:49:13 AM »
MABUHAY SI PEPE 8-)
//sining para sa panlipunang pagbabago//
SIR MIKE

dref40cc

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »