hulika

Author Topic: how important is warming up?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline SRV

how important is warming up?
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:14:04 PM »
shredders out there, could you elaborate to this thread how important warming up before playing guitar? and how many minutes is necessary for it to be done?

indicate the warm-up time...
for beginners: _
for intermediate players: _
for advanced/ expert plares: _

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: how important is warming up?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:19:39 PM »
warm up is needed to avoid sprain

i only do some stretching on both of my hands... tapos pagpag!
thats it!

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:21:56 PM »
important....maybe para to condition ur physical and mental coordination on ur playing.. :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:52:40 AM »
SRV, I dont think i'm a shredder (that looks so funny on the screen! heheheheh), but here goes:

Warming up is very important. Just as Jazhombie stated, you have to condition yourself physically and mentally. Just as you have to tune up your up guitar after not using it for a while, you have to tune your physique and mental focus.

I dont' believe in mere "physical" warming up (scales, the 1234 warm up, etc) coz just doing so limits you to only following your fingers. You have to tune your head, follow your thoughts and ideas.

I guess beginners take longer to warm up, while the more "professional" may take a few minutes.

When I mention "mentally" warming up, that means listening to music, imagining and "thinking" guitar even before you pick up the instrument.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline eders19

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:52:05 AM »
i heard it also helps avoid carpal tunnel syndrome... tama ba?

before playing in gigs, you should also do some stretching with your body especially if you move around a lot with a gibson les paul (those things are heavy!)
with or without you...

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:55:08 AM »
Here is another perspective:

Have you ever wondered why athletes do stretches and such, or otherwise warm-up, before their event? It is the same reason why guitar players should before playing: to avoid injury.

before playing in gigs, you should also do some stretching with your body especially if you move around a lot with a gibson les paul (those things are heavy!)

In addition to warm-up exercises, proper technique can also help avoid CTS.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:52:56 AM »
john petrucci style.....per ung warm up lang. ok rin eh. hehe.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:01:54 AM »

Have you ever wondered why athletes do stretches and such, or otherwise warm-up, before their event? It is the same reason why guitar players should before playing: to avoid injury.

Mismo. its important to avoid injury by flexing those muscles first. you gotta love your anatomy.  In addition, athletes not only prepare themselves physically, they also have to be psyched up for the race. A conditioned focus on areas to zoom into, a conscious/unconscious effort to execute the task at hand. And to zap everything else that may threaten the performance OUT of your head and system. you can't afforf to have jitters, it'll appear in the music, just as loudly as being poorly phycally prepared.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 08:06:54 AM »
before a gig: drink lots of beer/whiskey/bourbon/vodka.

during gig: drink lots of beer/whiskey/bourbon/vodka.

after gig: sleep

seriously: listen to what the others said  :-D

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 08:57:44 AM »
And drink a lot of water too.  To really make that joints going.

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »

Mismo. its important to avoid injury by flexing those muscles first. you gotta love your anatomy.  In addition, athletes not only prepare themselves physically, they also have to be psyched up for the race. A conditioned focus on areas to zoom into, a conscious/unconscious effort to execute the task at hand. And to zap everything else that may threaten the performance OUT of your head and system. you can't afforf to have jitters, it'll appear in the music, just as loudly as being poorly phycally prepared.
in addition, wat causes CTS yung overused ng wrist at fingers natin, yan ang usually sakit ng mga guitarists. we need proper usage din ng kamay natin, and  pati na rin smoking pla, nag a-add sya or contribute factors, by constricting and affecting the median nerve... share ko lng...hehehe...  

kya WARM-ups at quit smoking (mahirap ata yun)... :-D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:58:30 AM by jazhombie »

Offline noobie-doobie

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »
shredders out there, could you elaborate to this thread how important warming up before playing guitar? and how many minutes is necessary for it to be done?

indicate the warm-up time...
for beginners: _
for intermediate players: _
for advanced/ expert plares: _

its as important as foreplay before having sex. becuase you need to loosen up before you hit the stage or else bad vibes ung performance kasi mananakit ung mga joints mo. a lil jog or stretching would do.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline dvd9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 01:50:37 PM »
I tuned my strings everytime we practice or gig

I don't do warm up exercise, I just close-open my hands and voala thats it  :-D

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
..kya WARM-ups at quit smoking (mahirap ata yun)... :-D
Onga no, mahirap nga ata yun... Good thing they didn't say anything about drinking...