hulika

Author Topic: Question!! Bolt-on on acoustic guitars??  (Read 1930 times)

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
Question!! Bolt-on on acoustic guitars??
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:43:42 PM »
hey guys what are the cons and pros of bolt-ons acoustics??

ever heard of the eko acoustic guitars?? All i know is that they're made in italy

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Question!! Bolt-on on acoustic guitars??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:37:10 AM »
Wala akong maitutulong pero I just recently came across this info.  I never knew Taylor guitars are bolt-ons!   :-o

Find out more!  http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Data/Guitar/Taylor/99NeckJoint/99joint.html

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:39:04 AM »
seen some bolt on acoustics marami rin maganda. haven't owned one though, but the ones i've tried were pretty much like the set-neck acoustics.

try mo lang ser malay mo yun pala trip mo. Ü.

bout the brand of the guitar, i've yet to see one. bibili ka ba?

<<bolt on taylor? wa. hehe. nakakagising naman yun.  :-D
strum away!

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:37:47 AM »
i've got a 30+ year old EKO acoustic (Made in Italy) with a bolt-on-neck.

it's friggin heavy so i'm assuming the body is made of some type of good tone wood. it is very resonant and full-sounding, warm tone, lovely to play.

plus did i say i got it for under 500 pesos hehehe

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 07:15:25 AM »
EKO is an Italian Brand that was famous in the 60s.  They made a lot of copies of American Guitars, and some original designs too..... 

Re. bolt on neck guitars, i have an Aria Folk Guitar, which has a bolt-on neck......  here's a pic.....

Aside from the odd bolt on neck, this is actually quite a sweet sounding and playing guitar.....  the obvious disadvantage lang is that the neck join is not so strong, so i cannot use strings heavier than 0.011s.......  at the moment, this is strung with 0.010s, and the tone i get is very nice, but a little on the soft side when fingerpicking......

But Doc Arie, who set up this guitar, told me its quite good.....  here's a shot of the compensated bridge he made......

The EKO is probably more than 20 years old now, so you can be assured na dried out na yung wood, which is all to the good.....  Check the neck joint though, and examine the guitar to see if you have to reinforce the said joint or fill in some of the screw holes again......  One thing about old guitars, though, even the bolt ons, they used nice wood, as compared to the plywood on most acoustics today.......

Hope this helps.....

Chum
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »
thanks for the info Chum. i've only had it a few days i've heard about EKO guitars before so when this one was offered, it was worth the gamble at under 500 pesos!  :-D

happy with it so far. it needs a good clean and a string change so will definitely get the neck joint checked out when i do.

cheers!  :wink:

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 12:56:03 PM »
thanks for the info guys.

hmm... anyone else here know about eko acoustics?