hulika

Author Topic: kamagong neck?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
kamagong neck?
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:09:39 PM »
because the search function is busted again...might as well make a topic on it. bahala na kung meron kaparehas.

im thinking of having a new neck made for my strat, just in case the neck is hopeless. i read that ebony can be used to make guitar necks. but would that mean all species of ebony can be used? im thinking of having a kamagong neck made, since its part of the ebony family. why kamagong? its one way of showing one need not look overseas for quality :-)

also, can anyone recommend me other local woods for guitar necks?

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
Re: kamagong neck?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:17:38 PM »
I'm not sure man...kamagong might be too hard...corrrect me if I'm wrong but I think we need the guitar neck to breathe...and not brittle and hard like kamagong or narra...once again...correct me if I'm wrong...
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »
well thought of this idea since there are kamagong fret boards and ebony fret boards+necks. so ayun. anyone other opinions?

and another thing, ayoko maulit yung nangyari sa isang kaibigan ko nung nagpagawa siya ng neck para sa bass. he was told it was maple by the luthier pero upon inspection nung pinaayos niya yung guitar na yun (by another luthier), it wasnt maple. kaya i would like to get opinions now before i proceed.

Offline humbucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:25:30 PM »
because the search function is busted again...might as well make a topic on it. bahala na kung meron kaparehas.

im thinking of having a new neck made for my strat, just in case the neck is hopeless. i read that ebony can be used to make guitar necks. but would that mean all species of ebony can be used? im thinking of having a kamagong neck made, since its part of the ebony family. why kamagong? its one way of showing one need not look overseas for quality :-)

hindi ba illegal yan?  :? :-D

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 06:43:19 PM »

hindi ba illegal yan?  :? :-D

well if the source is from those licensed by denr or whatever branch of the government is involved, then i dont see any problem with that.

oh and if it were illegal, then i guess elegee wouldnt be making kamagong fret boards.

Offline numeroh_unoh

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »
hi bro, whats wrong with your old strat neck?
Products: UNOH CUSTOM PSU, PEDALBOARD & FLIGHT CASE, PATCH & GUITAR CABLES
Services: Pedal Repair / Guitar electronics & setup
Mobile # for boards and psu: 0915 6178131 Mobile # for Pedal/Guitar repair: 0915 5414197

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »
im thinking of having a new neck made for my strat, just in case the neck is hopeless. i read that ebony can be used to make guitar necks. but would that mean all species of ebony can be used?

ebony is used for fretboards (i've got a singlecut with an ebony fretboard and it plays well), but i've never heard of ebony used for the entire neck.  the older rj guitars (mang rudy era) have kamagong fretboards.

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »
hi bro, whats wrong with your old strat neck?

i havent used this strat for months actually. well im about to have the guitar set-up sometime within the month hopefully. obviously, the truss rod needs to be adjusted. however, if the neck would seem hopeless (or it wouldnt be beneficial in the long run), might as well have a new neck made.

ebony is used for fretboards (i've got a singlecut with an ebony fretboard and it plays well), but i've never heard of ebony used for the entire neck.  the older rj guitars (mang rudy era) have kamagong fretboards.

heres where i got that ebony idea: http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 07:00:05 PM »

well if the source is from those licensed by denr or whatever branch of the government is involved, then i dont see any problem with that.

oh and if it were illegal, then i guess elegee wouldnt be making kamagong fret boards.

I think it is illegal to export it, from what i've read somewhere. but for domestic use, its a-ok.

I don't think ebony is stable enough to stand the tension of the strings as a neck. you cant even machine install frets on an ebony board because of its potential to crack.

Considering how kamagong is a highly dense wood, i can imagine that it'll sound bright. hunch lang yun.

your safer with maple, it's available naman.  Your best bet is to consult the tri-axis of luthiers... Jon, Arie and Jun. Research...   :-) I know Jon works with kamagong alot
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 08:02:40 PM »

I think it is illegal to export it, from what i've read somewhere. but for domestic use, its a-ok.

I don't think ebony is stable enough to stand the tension of the strings as a neck. you cant even machine install frets on an ebony board because of its potential to crack.

Considering how kamagong is a highly dense wood, i can imagine that it'll sound bright. hunch lang yun.

your safer with maple, it's available naman.  Your best bet is to consult the tri-axis of luthiers... Jon, Arie and Jun. Research...   :-) I know Jon works with kamagong alot

hmm well for one thing, there's a law on natural resources being exported. the filipino first policy if im not mistaken. hehe guess my econ class has its use.

maple? hmm but im on a budget. though i want one  :-) i just hope my neck is still usable so i wont have to get another one. oh and i'd like to prioritize local resources before using foreign ones.

how about philippine mahogany?

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »
Singit lang... kamagong isn't a kind of ebony. It's in a different genus (or family, or something). It's just referred to as some kind of ebony because it's black (it "looks" like ebony).  So kamagong and ebony's properties are different from each other.  Like the case of Mahogany and Philippine "Mahogany" (Lauan).
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »

ask ko lng pla anton, magkano inabot ng maple mo?pm m nlng may papaayos sana ako kay sir jon tnx...OT...cnxa n..

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »

hmm well for one thing, there's a law on natural resources being exported. the filipino first policy if im not mistaken. hehe guess my econ class has its use.

maple? hmm but im on a budget. though i want one  :-) i just hope my neck is still usable so i wont have to get another one. oh and i'd like to prioritize local resources before using foreign ones.

how about philippine mahogany?

philippine mahogany is in fact, not really mahogany. google it  :wink:

a mahogany necked strat will not sound like a bonafide strat. that's for sure.

you haven't described the issue you are having with your neck. It may still be saveable. My tokai fretboard had a god-awful scallop, so i took it to Jon to have the rosewood fretboard replaced with a slab maple board. check out he elegee thread on it.

please refer to Jon for costs, as Jon and I had a special arrangement for the job. I have no idea how much his market charge for it is.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 04:54:25 AM »
anton, im not sure if my old neck can still be adjusted. well im hoping it can still be done. but im seriously considering maple now.

inigo, salamat sa info rin.