hulika

Author Topic: live electronica/computer music setup  (Read 1077 times)

Offline spazzkid

live electronica/computer music setup
« on: May 11, 2007, 02:03:45 AM »
Hi everybody!
I am looking to play my stuff live, i did some researching and noticed that most people have these kind of setup for playing electronic songs live:
1.) Laptop>Interface>(small)Mixer>PA system
2.) Laptop>Interface>PA system
3.) Laptop>Interface>DI box>Free Mic Input
I may be getting my laptop pretty soon and i was hoping to get a firewire/usb interface as well. would you think that would suffice? or should i get a mixer and/or DI box as well? comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated  :-D

- mark/cocolulu

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
Re: live electronica/computer music setup
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 04:31:09 AM »
I think I'd vote for #1 if I'd go live. That is:

LAPTOP (from where you get your sound banks) --> INTERFACE (as in a MIDI keyboard to trigger the sounds) --> MIXER (actually you'd have to have that USB input/output interface to hook to the mixer) --> P.A.

I've seen a friend from Urbanation do that setup, if I'm not mistaken. I personally think that the mixer has an advantage kasi you could hook up headphones instead of relying on monitors. Atsaka hindi kasi lahat ng bars may monitors, as per my experience, so bringing a headphone set to monitor might come in handy.

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:55:39 AM »
I think I'd vote for #1 if I'd go live. That is:

LAPTOP (from where you get your sound banks) --> INTERFACE (as in a MIDI keyboard to trigger the sounds) --> MIXER (actually you'd have to have that USB input/output interface to hook to the mixer) --> P.A.

I've seen a friend from Urbanation do that setup, if I'm not mistaken. I personally think that the mixer has an advantage kasi you could hook up headphones instead of relying on monitors. Atsaka hindi kasi lahat ng bars may monitors, as per my experience, so bringing a headphone set to monitor might come in handy.

hello sir. thanks for the reply. when i say "interface" i was reffering to an audio interface (or a sound card/interface). i would be using a midi controller as well but that would be independent to the audio interface. i've seen alot of people using setup #1 as well. but then again, another friend told me that #2 would suffice as most audio interfaces nowadays have headphone/monitoring outputs already and come with line/rca/stereo outs. option #1 seems to be a cheaper alternative though.

any more thoughts?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 01:21:43 PM »
The M-Audio Ozone looks like a good bet for you since it also has an audio interface built in. Just don't push it too hard audio-wise since it is usb 1.1
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:50:37 AM »
The M-Audio Ozone looks like a good bet for you since it also has an audio interface built in. Just don't push it too hard audio-wise since it is usb 1.1

i was about to get that before i got my Oxygen v2, but it was expensive at that time. pero ok sana, one less hardware to bring during gigs. thanks sir!