hulika

Author Topic: Should a sound engineer be well-versed at WAVE SYNTHESIS?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Should a sound engineer be well-versed at WAVE SYNTHESIS?
« on: May 11, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »
Yes, I mean doing those synthesized sounds with synthesizers.  LFO's, VCO's, ADSR, damn those things that you don't want to remember doing on a Yamaha DX7 when there's a Triton lying around...  :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Should a sound engineer be well-versed at WAVE SYNTHESIS?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:41:52 PM »
You can find LFOs, oscillators, ADSR envelopes, et al also on a Triton. It's operators, modulators, and operator/modulator algorithms that are exclusive to FM synthesis.

Do sound engineers need to know about synthesis? Not necessarily, but they also encounter LFO's, ADSR envelopes and oscillators on some effects processing equipment.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 12:35:34 PM »
it might be a good skill set to have but i dont think its absolutely necessary

and fyi: wave synthesis implies generating new, basic, single cycle waves in real time (like the old waldorf/ppg synths right kitc?)...a fairly esoteric type of synthesis....LFO's/VCO's/ADSR/damn those things are pretty much ubiquitous synth features ie. most synths have them
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 02:45:28 PM »
Chuck, I think the proper term is wavetable synthesis, also found in your Wavestation.  :wink:

Synthesizing waves from scratch, using sine, triangle and sawtooth then turning it into something usable, now that's something no synthesist should know nothing about. The circuits downstream of an oscillator's output, however, have been used to process audio. There were numerous records that were processed through the filters and LFOs of a Moog Modular and Minimoog, ARP2600, Oberheim, SEM, and others. Some engineers during the 70's even routed guitars through those synth circuitry. Having the knowledge and understanding of these components could greatly help in getting that elusive 'signature sound'.

Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 06:32:30 PM »
ugh im way too sick to think clearly right now but wavetable synthesis (waldorf/ppg) has some important differences with wavesequencing synthesis (wavestation)...i read a post in harmony central that goes into depth...too geeky for me right now... :-P

anyway im still off as wavetable synthesis "sweeps" through several diff. single cycle waveforms to generate new timbres , i was thinking of something else entirely; a synthesis method that actually generates those single cycle waveforms in real time...hmmm i keep going back to waldorf for some reason...but the newer ones though (xt/q)... :?
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
Too bd to hear you're under the weather, chuck!

We're going a bit OT on the original subject, but wave sequencing is actually Korg's take on wavetable synthesis although they added a few features of their own, notably vector synthesis. Between the 2 of us,  I figure you're more knowledgeable on these wave thingies... I've been lusting for the Wavestation keyboard though.  :lol:

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »
hey kit!

"The wavestation is a wavetable synth in the most basic sense. However, it does not employ Waldorf styled Wavetable Synthesis.

"Wavetable synthesis" can be a bit of a confusing term in the synth world, as you have basic Wavetable synthesis, and in this regard, there are quite few wavetable synths out there actually. And then you have what Waldorf called wavetable synthesis. Now the Waldorf term did something that included wavetable synthesis in the basic sense, but used it in conjunction with an interpolation process they had come up with to shift through mulitiple wavetables......they then called their own process "Wavetable Synthesis" as well. This has led to quite a bit of confusion at times.

Why Waldorf called their process "Wavetable Synthesis" when "Wavetable Synthesis" was already a term in use I have no idea.

So like I said, in the basic sense, the Wavestation does essientially employ Wavetable Synthesis. BUT, it does not employ Wavetable Synthesis in the Waldorf sense."

rest of the thread here http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26673

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:51:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, chuck!

Now all we need is a microWave or microQ.... oh, soulidstate....!  :-D