hulika

Author Topic: help me build a guitar amp from an old organ with lotsa tubes!  (Read 3163 times)

Offline silmarillion09

• Philmusicus Noobitus
i have a 1965 baldwin organ with lots and lots and lots of tubes, a power amp and an actual leslie rotating speaker. the organ is working, but as i have a hammond already, and a few keys are missing, i wanna convert it into a guitar amp. can anyone point me in the right direction? who knows how to build a tube amp from old organs?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: help me build a guitar amp from an old organ with lotsa tubes!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »
i have a 1965 baldwin organ with lots and lots and lots of tubes, a power amp and an actual leslie rotating speaker. the organ is working, but as i have a hammond already, and a few keys are missing, i wanna convert it into a guitar amp. can anyone point me in the right direction? who knows how to build a tube amp from old organs?

two things: learn to read a schematic and look into point to point wiring. i built a tweed copy a while back and these are two skills that you need to know when building an amp.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »
wow...what about selling it and buying a guitar amp? if you do go ahead with your plans however more power to you and be sure to post pics :)
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 10:13:40 AM »
How about pics of leslie?   :wink:  I mean the leslie:-D
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:41:17 AM »
by the way, why would you tear apart a working organ with a leslie to make a tube amp? this seems like a gross misuse of a prized music piece eve if you do already have a hammond!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »
by the way, why would you tear apart a working organ with a leslie to make a tube amp? this seems like a gross misuse of a prized music piece eve if you do already have a hammond!

I was kinda thinking along the same lines, plus it's a Baldwin. Doesn't that account for something?

If tubes are available there, why not build a new guitar amp from scratch? The old tubes might be nearing the end of their service life anyway.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 11:35:39 AM »
Dude, what Hammond do you have?  B3, C3, A100, A101, A102, RT3?  Can we be friends and bandmates?  :-D  :-D  :-D /*switches on user-friendly mode*/

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »

I was kinda thinking along the same lines, plus it's a Baldwin. Doesn't that account for something?

If tubes are available there, why not build a new guitar amp from scratch? The old tubes might be nearing the end of their service life anyway.

true...true. a fully working hammond, wurlitzer or rhodes of the vintage kind is a prize to have that should be maintained and kept in good shape because those things appreciate in value even if you don't play them. around my neck of the woods, there are always vintage rhodes and hammonds that are in really, really bad shape but finding one in great condition because the owner appreciated what it was, is always a pleasure to see. it would break many hearts (including mine) if you gutted the poor Baldwin to make a tube amp that you could easily buy.

Offline silmarillion09

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 04:01:01 PM »
thanks for all the replied guys! i have an L-100 given to me by my bandmate who has a b3 back in cdo. apparently, hindi siya bilib sa L-100 lang na hammond, pero i love this organ!

@skunkyfunk: game! pero you have to play the hammond, as i don't play keyboards very well! hey, you have a nice studio right? /*switches on user-friendly mode*/

after hearing you all talk about the baldwin that way, i now feel like restoring it... but i still need a new tube amp!

its a theatre organ if i'm not mistaken, it has around 4 dozen 12ax7 tubes at the back, not including 12 big power tubes. its in full working condition (console lights included!) the only problem is when i bought it, it had 5 missing keys. the contact bars are still there, but i don't know where to get baldwin organ keys... does anyone know a repairman for old organs?

and btw, they really don't make em like they used to!

Offline silmarillion09

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
oh, and pics to follow, so that we all have something new to gawk at. and sir kitc, i'm just from QC!

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 04:34:14 PM »
oi gyte! just buy a tube amp man. leave the organ alone!!! hahaha
uy tagal ko na gusto makita yung stuff  mo ah especially the hammond! hehe

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 04:45:11 PM »
thanks for all the replied guys! i have an L-100 given to me by my bandmate who has a b3 back in cdo. apparently, hindi siya bilib sa L-100 lang na hammond, pero i love this organ!

@skunkyfunk: game! pero you have to play the hammond, as i don't play keyboards very well! hey, you have a nice studio right? /*switches on user-friendly mode*/

after hearing you all talk about the baldwin that way, i now feel like restoring it... but i still need a new tube amp!

its a theatre organ if i'm not mistaken, it has around 4 dozen 12ax7 tubes at the back, not including 12 big power tubes. its in full working condition (console lights included!) the only problem is when i bought it, it had 5 missing keys. the contact bars are still there, but i don't know where to get baldwin organ keys... does anyone know a repairman for old organs?

and btw, they really don't make em like they used to!

you can start by asking local piano tuners. those guys usually know of a person who stocks spare parts for pianos. when my parents' piano needed some work, they needed a couple ivory and ebony keys and the tuner guy was the person they asked.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 02:44:07 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:48:46 PM »
oh, and pics to follow, so that we all have something new to gawk at. and sir kitc, i'm just from QC!

PM me your location. Me and some of the keyboard forum/pro audio guys just might sched a visit sometime.

Offline silmarillion09

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »
eto na pics!

sir kitc: pm sent!

balta: sama kana kina sir kitc!

here you go!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:40:53 PM by silmarillion09 »

Offline silmarillion09

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 09:37:54 PM »
oh man the pics are too big! anyway, wiill fix that later..

addendum, the organ pala is a conn, not a baldwin, mistook it for another organ we had before. would the fact its a conn make any difference to your sentiments towards saving it?

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 12:47:11 AM »
 :-o wow....that looks awesome...and like a fire hazzard at the same time :-D

too bad about the keys...i would keep it for the fun factor but i would understand if you wanted to chop it up

been listening to juan garcia esquivel all day (brilliantly cheesy/quirky lounge martini music)  this looks like it belongs on that album:mrgreen:

In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 01:58:33 AM »
Esquivel was a man ahead of his time....  8-)

I was looking up the Conn and it says here that, quote: "Conn used an independent tone generator for each note and employed special keying gates to slow down slightly the attack of the notes, imitating the lag of a pipe organ.  This intentional slow attack and bold voicing of the Conn organ produced an instrument that bore an uncanny resemblance to a pipe organ for purchasers in the mainstream commercial market.  The Conn organ was famous for its string tone; if you closed your eyes, you’d think a real violin was playing."  Sound like this organ will be great for playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

You can find replacement parts for the Conn here. Just out of curiosity, how on earth does one break keys that thick?  :? Talk about heavy handed!  :-o

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 01:08:04 PM »
Good grief...save it !

Making tube amps isn't that hard anymore. In fact, I already collected parts and will be putting together 2 5Watt tube amps. It was the transformers that had me stumped before...but now that's solved :D.

Then up to 18 watts, then up to 50 watt marshall head.

Save the darn organ !
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633