hulika

Author Topic: bounce down question :?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
bounce down question :?
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:50:52 PM »
does the interface's a/d-d/a converters come into pay during bounce down?  in cubase we get to choose which channels to bounce and im guessing the a/d converters are still used, correct me if im wrong.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: bounce down question :?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
does the interface's a/d-d/a converters come into pay during bounce down?

No. Most offline bounces are native processes, meaning they pass through the cpu without passing through any A/D/A conversion. About the only time such conversion can occur is when you are mixing/mastering though analog summing busses or when you route the output of your interface back into a free input in order to perform a realtime bounce. The general rule is to avoid multiple A/D/A conversion over the course of mixing because the brickwall filters employed to prevent/minimize aliasing in the D/A conversion will have an overall effect on the mixes' harmonics.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 11:19:57 PM »
i see. thanks kit!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »

No. Most offline bounces are native processes, meaning they pass through the cpu without passing through any A/D/A conversion. About the only time such conversion can occur is when you are mixing/mastering though analog summing busses or when you route the output of your interface back into a free input in order to perform a realtime bounce. The general rule is to avoid multiple A/D/A conversion over the course of mixing because the brickwall filters employed to prevent/minimize aliasing in the D/A conversion will have an overall effect on the mixes' harmonics.

So granting you have a project file, and all raw tracks were recorded using a common A/D converter, if I mix those tracks with the same software/project file in the box say using Shinji's DAW, technically, it should sound the same if another one mixes it with the same software and same project file in another DAW with less-accurate converters, because all the processing is done in the digital domain?  It's the monitoring that varies?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
yes i think that's what Kit is saying. 

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 02:41:04 PM »

So granting you have a project file, and all raw tracks were recorded using a common A/D converter, if I mix those tracks with the same software/project file in the box say using Shinji's DAW, technically, it should sound the same if another one mixes it with the same software and same project file in another DAW with less-accurate converters, because all the processing is done in the digital domain?  It's the monitoring that varies?

right-o. the mix should sound the same on both your system and shinji's because of the nature of A/D conversion in the recording process. the only time that, in my experience, the monitor mix has sounded different is when you monitor through a dedicated A/D system. when I added the Rosetta 800 to my system, I started monitoring through that instead of the outs of the RME.  I noticed that there was a difference in the monitoring sound between the Apogee and the RME.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline astrobog

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 05:24:04 PM »
totoo yon. ako naman pag nagmimix ako kumukuha ng monitor signal direct from digi 192i/o, magka-iba ang sound pag dumaam sa control24 monitor section...
Shinji
Sound Creation Studio
www.soundcreation-ph.com

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 05:43:43 AM »
totoo yon. ako naman pag nagmimix ako kumukuha ng monitor signal direct from digi 192i/o, magka-iba ang sound pag dumaam sa control24 monitor section...

same here. i do wonder though if there is a proper way. I've worked with an Icon before they seem to use the monitor section. in my case, since I learned that monitoring from the i/o seemed to make sense more, I just stuck with that. i wonder if there is a correct way of doing this business.

then again, if it works to produce a good mix, it works:)
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!