hulika

Author Topic: Any doctors around?  (Read 902 times)

Offline SixTwo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Any doctors around?
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:04:35 AM »
so you've set up (or are still in the perpetual mode of setting up) your dream studio, with your dream equipment. you spend a lot of time (and money) in your studio. and you take precious tender loving care of it.

but, what do you do with the most important "equipment" in your studio --- YOUR EARS?

you've heard about vitamins that's "good for the eyes", "... good for the heart". but i really haven't come across something that's "good for your ears". you can google it, and you can read all about Vitamins A, B, C, and E.

i practice the practical advice of taking breaks often during tracking and mixing. i also read (and proved) that 6 to 8 hours is all your ears can take, after that, it's tired, even at moderate volumes. i also don't use iPODs a lot. i don't really subject my ears to loud sounds, and carry earplugs (just in case). cotton buds is a good friend, but not too much, since a doctor-friend also told me we need the natural wax to protect it.

so i'd like to hear what you do to maintain your most critical equipment?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Any doctors around?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:41:50 AM »
tinnitus is irreversible and there is no cure for it so it is best that you take care of your ears by pacing your exposure to loud noise, toning down excessively loud volume on earphones and giving your ears a rest when recording, mixing, attending concerts and jamming with band members. Constant ringing of the ears is an indication of hearing damage and can progressively get worse if not regulated. Occassional ringing of the ears is normal but take care to have your audiologist or otolaryngologist (eye, ear, nose and throat doc) take a look at your hearing if the ringing is persistent.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Any doctors around?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:21:04 PM »
took up one year of med school at UPl!  haha.

tinnitus does suck if your work involves music.  i used to have a 15 inch sub with a ported enclosure in my car.  kept havin that ringin sound even after i get out of the car.  threw the damn thing away, replacin it with a sealed box.  at least i got my hearing and my trunk back,

nowadays, i just enjoy brief periods of silence during my work - surf ka muna sa philmusic.  my advice, get good nearfields which don't tire your ears out.  it's a matter of personal preference, try out stuff at your friend's studio or the suking audio-tindahan.

also, try not to use those ear plugs which come with the ipod.  they have to be driven hard and your ears will slowly... die.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz: