hulika

Author Topic: current blues artist on your play list  (Read 2371 times)

Offline haringulan

current blues artist on your play list
« on: May 19, 2006, 05:04:46 PM »
who are you guys listening to lately?
i'll start...

"Curtis King Band LIVE - Caught With Our Pants Down"
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/curtisking
http://www.curtisking.com/

i got a copy of it a few months ago at tower.
i dont know how popular he is, but the live album is really fun to listen to. he does a lot of blues standards.
i think he's based in singapore, might want to check him out if you are in the area, i'd imagine he's a lot of fun to watch live based on the album.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 10:33:34 PM »
1. Larry Carlton - his 'Last Nite' album reeks of some soulful, gut-wrenching blues. Although not strictly classified as a blues guitarist, Carlton's trademark 335 tone and touch ranks him among the world's top blues gods.

Album highlights: his sparse, near-vocal inflections on 'Emotions Wound Us So,' and a more angular, triadic approach to the Miles Davis classic, 'So What'

2. Robben Ford - it's only been lately that I've 'discovered' his earlier albums: 'Talk To Your Daughter' and 'Handful of Blues,' and I must say he's pretty much worthy to carry on with the blues tradition.

His playing has definitely become more refined, compared to say his more jazz-fusiony adventures with the Yellowjackets.

I particularly admire him for not being too overly flashy too. Unlike his contemporaries who'd flaunt their chops every chance they can get, Robben displays a remarkable sense of restraint.

3. Kenny Burrell - basically a jazzer. Though not as widely-renowned as Joe Pass or Wes, Burrell got me hooked with his phrasing. Another good example of the 'less is more' approach ...
"No static at all ..."

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:50:17 PM »
*** POPPA CHUBY ***

8)
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 11:51:22 PM »
MILES DAVIS
John 3:16

Offline jazhombie

Re: current blues artist on your play list
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:02:19 AM »
scott henderson's -- dog party

Offline ysabella

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 08:33:08 AM »
Luther Allison live at montreux jazz fest...

e.c. from the cradle album..

s.r.v. anthology..

H.O.B. tribute to rolling stones

radiostationexp

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
BB King
SRV
Buddy Guy
Jimi Hendrix...... :-D

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
Robin Trower's "Some Days Blues" - the artist strays from his usual blues-rock oriented format and delves into more of the blues. A diffrent side to Trower -restrained playing... very B.B. King-ish note plucking; no univibe on the leads...it grew on me.

Robben Ford and the Blue Line's "Handful of Blues" and "Authorized Bootleg" - like Deacon BLues said, very restrained, very tasty...

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:07:14 PM »
pasali

Roy Rodgers' Blues on the Range

O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack

Larry Carlton's Sapphire Blue

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 06:28:32 AM »
bb king
eric clapton
eric clapton and bb king
buddy guy
buddy guy and junior wells
srv

jimi hendrix

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »
I don't know if you guys heard of LOS LONELY BOYS, they call their kind of genre "TEXICAN". Texas meets Mexico i guess. interesting fusion of latin and blues.
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »
I don't know if you guys heard of LOS LONELY BOYS, they call their kind of genre "TEXICAN". Texas meets Mexico i guess. interesting fusion of latin and blues.

Astig sila!! favorite ko yung "Heaven" at yung "More Than Love".

I do have an Allman Brothers Band song here..."Desdemona" from their 2003 album Hittin the Note...ibang klase talaga...warren haynes and derek trucks!!  :-D
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »
Luther Allison's "Hand Me Down My Moonshine." Straight acoustic blues, son Bernard on second guitar. Malupit ang interplay! And Luther's voice, full of emotion.

Shemekia Copeland - Live at the San Francisco Bluesfest 2000. Johnny's baby sings like no other baby!

Derek Trucks - Live in Canada May 2007. The guy is at it again!!! A great sounding audience recording.

http://backdoorbluescafe.multiply.com
"LAY DOWN MORE SORROWS" Another Night Of Soul-Stirring Blues Music@Backdoor Blues Cafe Oct.4 (Saturday)