hulika

Author Topic: SOS (selling-out situation)  (Read 2757 times)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
SOS (selling-out situation)
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:12:37 PM »
You're in a band, and someone spots you in a gig.  That someone offers you a management contract. Thing is, you have to alter some things a little bit... maybe expand your lyrics, add a member to thicken the sound... small things like that.

Then you find out that the manager has a tie up with a label A&R... they are friends and the manager can get a recording contract in a second.  Thing is, they've come up with a concept for your band: They want to match your band up with an existing (popular) band, which despite having the same influences as you (you cover some of their influences' songs), sound very different that how you thought your band has been (and has been sounding) for the past couple of years. In a nutshell, they want you to sound like (say...) The (early) Beatles, when you had been playing stuff similar to (say...) The Rolling Stones.

With your artistic integrity compromised and a record contract dangling down your face... what does an artist do?
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline IncX

Re: SOS (selling-out situation)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »

no way...

unless im in the US, and have a career that can give me better $$$ than what im doing now... not to mention the freedom to have a side band where the stuff i release and my image is not related to the company at all.

but here in pinas? theres no way you can have a career with a band. thats why most popular bands now are rich kids to begin with and even if they dont get real jobs, they have passive income flowing from interests, properties and systemized businesses their parents had set for them. they really dont need to work for the rest of their lives... unless a really strong competitor plans on a hostile take over.

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:53:37 PM »
Well, i guess if it concerns my band, as long as magkakasama pa rin kami sa band, kahit i-modify nila music namin, kasi nanggaling kami sa pop and we play for our audience, kaya konting adjustments na lang siguro ang kelangan. About the artistic view, ganyang lang talaga sa industry, you better go with what the company says or go indie na lang kung pasaway ka. Isipin mo na lang na kapag may kumuha sa yo, ibig sabihin pwede ka nila i-market. May star factor ka. The problem is, you can't really control your type of music. Pero kung kaya mong sumabay why not? Selling out is not really a question.... Pero don't quit your day job just for that. hindi pa sigurado ang career mo eh....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »
for me ok lang kung very minimal alng ang babaguhin. its one way of penetrating the music scene. at one point ar another ung mga bands naman talga they have to at least be RADIO FRIENDLY at some level. LEts say hypotheticall naka penetrate kana sa scene and have a hit song under your belt then thats the time na unti unti mong labas ung tunay mong sound. this is there are 2 types of musicians

1. Entertainer - a type where in they play for the people and only for the people
2. Artist - the type where they play becuase they want to express their artistic point of view.

my 2 cents
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 05:40:46 PM »
Okay.

My band has faced that. and the answer is that....we made our own record label. We absolutely did not, do not and will not change our sound for a record label deal - because that means that that deal was for something like our band, but not our band. I can't speak for others, because this is a very personal decision among band members and musicians. But in my case, I couldn't stand the fact that I will be a reasonable facsimile of myself in a reasonable facsimile of my band.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:03:41 PM »

no way...

unless im in the US, and have a career that can give me better $$$ than what im doing now... not to mention the freedom to have a side band where the stuff i release and my image is not related to the company at all.

but here in pinas? theres no way you can have a career with a band. thats why most popular bands now are rich kids to begin with and even if they dont get real jobs, they have passive income flowing from interests, properties and systemized businesses their parents had set for them. they really dont need to work for the rest of their lives... unless a really strong competitor plans on a hostile take over.
+1
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 06:20:17 PM »
I couldn't stand the fact that I will be a reasonable facsimile of myself in a reasonable facsimile of my band.

(I'm looking for an applause emoticon). Bumaon sa utak ko ito. Kalevel na siya ng "We don't need musicians, we need artists" by Dennis Balangue.

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »
Thanks for the words of praise. I've always been very pragmatic about my band's music - before that incident, I half-expected that somehow, we would modify what we were doing - or at least some songs - once we could get signed. But it was at that point, when we were faced with that situation, that really brought out what we all felt. All of us let the guy finish, told him in courteous words that we were turning down his offer, and then calmly and politely walked out.

I knew, at that point that if we did make our music for an audience, it would be an audience like us, who shared our dreams, who appreciated or was trying to appreciate our music. In other words, we would keep on going with what we liked to do, making music we enjoy playing.

Offline IncX

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:09:02 PM »

if i get a dedicated band together who doesnt have the wrong notions of playing music, id certainly talk to basscog and the ppl at tower of doom.

eventhough i am not into all the bands that come there, i can say that it seems like a fun label to be in.. none of those rock star crap, just playing music and respecting each others style.

jakobspiral

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »
Well, it depends on what you want. Your music or money/fame.

As for me, my music is not and will never be for sale. ;-)

Offline Domengik

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 05:01:10 AM »
Well, it depends on what you want. Your music or money/fame.

As for me, my music is not and will never be for sale. ;-)

Totally agree. Depende talaga sa gusto mo. Pero minsan dala na din talaga ng pangangailangan e.

But for me, my music will never EVER be for sale too.  Kaya nga naghahanap ako ng iba pang source of income para hindi mainvolve ang music ko sa financial aspects/problems ng buhay ko. I won't really consider it as a source of income or an option. This is the only thing that I do/have that separates me from this very profit oriented and "reductionist" world.  When I'm playing, I am alone.

Wag lang sana dumating sa buhay ko na kakainin ko lahat ng sinabi ko. Eto kasi yung gusto kong pakiramdam at paniniwala e. Wag sanang masayang..

:-D :-D :-D
"I was taught to think the next week or month or year will only get better than it is today. So I just keep waiting to see how great it will get!"
   --Stevie Ray Vaughan

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 05:13:43 AM »
thats the reason why we have a deal called "distribution", so that artists can come up with their own material, and let the company do the mass production.

thats the next best thing. :-)

Offline JaPoSkEE

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:55:52 PM »
basta ang mahalaga: maging totoo tayo sa sarili natin. kung ayaw natin may nagdi-dictate, wag tayong maging sunud-sunuran sa mga "kinauukulan". hindi naman "pride" yun or "closed-mindedness" eh. nagpapakatotoo ka lang. ikaw ang maestro ng sarili mong painting.   :-D

sabi nga nila, "walang sinoman ang pwedeng magdikta sa kahit sino (unless mali... hehe)"

buti pa yung ibang producers/managers, nagbibigay lang ng suggestions (nasa banda pa rin ang final decision). hindi rin naman masama "humingi ng opinyon" from 3rd parties eh. makakadagdag pa yun sa growth ng banda. basta pag feeling nyo eh labag na sa kalooban nyo, wag nyo na ituloy.... mawawala lang yung saysay ng pagbabanda nyo. na-experience ko na rin yan noon....  :lol:

"music is meant to be shared..."
www.facebook.com/paranoidcity

SUPPORT INDIE BANDS!!

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »
depende kung gagawin nila kaming hip hop e heavy metal band kami e wag na lang....
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline jpadua

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 01:26:45 PM »
Inigo, pare, I know what you feel.... if it will destroy your artistic integrity wag nalang pare...  it all depends if you are ready to face the fact na, they will be in control of everything down to how you dress... para lang makabenta ng album.  I know you know what I mean bro, we're sort of in the same situation hehehe... pero we'll never settle... unless all the terms are favorable to us.  I totally dis agree with changing, how we sound, how we look, down to what type of songs to play... de nawala narin yung identity namin. 

Selling out is a complicated word really, some people think, basta nag mainstream sell out na, but I dont believe that.  Kung ano yung banda mo, your sound, your look... thats your identity... selling out is giving up what your band is. If you get singed tapos ganun parin yung banda mo then you didnt sell out...

If management/label believes in the band then there is no need to alter anything, kung baga package na kayo... all they have to is promote and sell you... pero if they take control of everything, you will be mere pawns playing cause your under contract....

tsaka a small tip... medyo old school ang V?c?o? Records... (sorry didnt want to mention the label name) They will really do anything in their power to sell someone under contract by any means... meaning they will no doubt in my mind, do a lot of changes nessesary in their opinion - (old skool nga).

Pare... Never settle! if you really want the deal, ayusin nyo talaga yung contrata and fight for what your band really wants. if they dont go with it... wala silang tiwala sa artist.

tsaka regarding management... remember our gig... did "she" at anytime take care of us, talk or even give special attention? Kami wala bro... kaya dun palang nakita na namin kung ano yung possible future nun.. ehhehe..  If they really wanted to sign us (ligaw to sign), dont you think they would have made sure that they took care of us during the gig?

Bro I dont want to convince you otherwise, its a band decision, as long as your music stays the same, and you all agree, and favorable sa inyo. Then by all means.

Pare good luck! you have my support bro!
Epi SG ltd. | Epi Firbird Studio ltd. | Epi Les Paul Jr. | Fender Strat Plus | Avalon Silver series 200 Acoustic  | My Band http://www.myspace.com/thisisovertone | http://www.soundclick.com/jaypadua

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 04:20:39 AM »
i totally agree with basscog with the audience thing.. i would never, ever change the music that i make to fit an audience..

@basscog: simula ng sinabi mo un, sobrang naging idol na kita.. :-D
geeesh

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 02:59:20 AM »
i totally agree with basscog with the audience thing.. i would never, ever change the music that i make to fit an audience..

I'll be the first to admit though - it's very hard, especially when the temptation is right in front of you. Up to now, my band still has its share of temptations, but well, we just take it day by day, and we try to slog thourgh it all as best as we can.

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 03:21:04 AM »

I'll be the first to admit though - it's very hard, especially when the temptation is right in front of you. Up to now, my band still has its share of temptations, but well, we just take it day by day, and we try to slog thourgh it all as best as we can.

yes, thats true, if youre in the band scene tapos magaling kayo talaga, darating sa point na yan.. its up to you if youll accept the offer or not.. :-)
geeesh

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 11:33:57 AM »
Just a thought: If you really believe in your music, you won't compromise it for what the label wants (that you don't). If you compromise, you don't believe in your music that much.

Hmm....

Offline jpadua

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 12:51:48 PM »
Just a thought: If you really believe in your music, you won't compromise it for what the label wants (that you don't). If you compromise, you don't believe in your music that much.

Hmm....

Hey bro,  if you believe in the music, and you are satisfied with it, there should'nt be any changes done to it, but if the band agrees naman to the changes the label wants, ok din lang, it's not a grave sin! if you realize na its a good idea to change certain things (pero galing sa label yung suggestion) ok lang naman yun, important thing is that you believe that your music is not being compromised.  But if a label wants something changed, na di nyo trip, then thats a different story diba? pare dapat lang agreeable yung banda sa situation.

j
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:53:27 PM by jpadua »
Epi SG ltd. | Epi Firbird Studio ltd. | Epi Les Paul Jr. | Fender Strat Plus | Avalon Silver series 200 Acoustic  | My Band http://www.myspace.com/thisisovertone | http://www.soundclick.com/jaypadua