hulika

Author Topic: confessions of a mad man  (Read 1801 times)

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
confessions of a mad man
« on: August 09, 2007, 03:08:40 AM »
Many people have mimicked your image or their perception of your musical stance. What would you have musicians learn from you?

Forget about the clothes and the haircut and the moves, and then concentrate on the guitar playing. First, you've got to have that. I see a lot of guys out there - and it's like weird for me - and they've got it all down except the playing! (laughs.) I mean, hell, they look more like me than me! It's like fashion. It's all got to do with video and [gooey brown stuff]. Once you start to get the eyes involved with music, music will take the backseat, and that's what the video thing is. Why can't video find its own niche in life and get off music's back? This is not going to endear me to VH-1 or MTV, but they know how I feel about it. It's a conflict of the senses. You're gonna judge a record by a TV screen and some images with some [gooey brown stuff] little sound coming out of those boxy little speakers? I mean, how many people really have them hooked up to stereos? The way they deliver a record is with some semi-nude chicks, which I have no problem with, but not to sell my music. The music becomes like elevator background music, relegated. And of course, then you've encouraged people to become posers and not composers. Andy Warhol's little dream's come true: Everybody's a star for 15 minutes.

this is a long interview, but it says a lot about Keith... and a little bit about the blues...
http://www.geocities.com/abexile/keithintgpl.htm

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: confessions of a mad man
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:56:51 AM »
Chuck Leavell, prime keys session guy apparently keeps a blog, yes a blog!:

One funny thing did happen during You Can’t Always Get What You Want. Keith started the song
and Lisa immediately looked over at me and said "Is that the right key?!!” I quickly checked
and found that it wasn’t … we always do it in C, but Keith was playing it in B. Lisa has perfect pitch
and had heard the difference straight away, thank heaven! The mishap wasn’t Keith’s fault …
he had been handed a guitar with the capo (a small device that clamps on the strings of the guitar
and that can be moved around to allow for playing more easily in different keys and for other purposes)
in the wrong place … a half step down from where it was supposed to be. I quickly hollered at Ronnie
“he’s playing it in B!! in B!!” and also told some of our stage crew to go tell Darryl the same.
We all adjusted without much problem but it did keep us on our toes to have to play the song in a key we’ve never done before!

Offline brianb

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:50:50 AM »
The Keef is quite the blues scholar.  :-D

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »
Some bluesmen have been known to keep a sartorial style all their own (SRV comes to mind with that hat of his). And a few serious jazzmen have been serious fashionistas (Miles Davis, Roy Haynes). So it's not always "all about the music." As always, a case to case basis.

For any musician though, it's usually encouraged to look like a musician on stage, not look like you just drove to the gig straight from the office. :)
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 03:34:18 PM »
Some bluesmen have been known to keep a sartorial style all their own (SRV comes to mind with that hat of his). And a few serious jazzmen have been serious fashionistas (Miles Davis, Roy Haynes). So it's not always "all about the music." As always, a case to case basis.

For any musician though, it's usually encouraged to look like a musician on stage, not look like you just drove to the gig straight from the office. :)

There's a misconception with the old black bluesmen, in particular, that they liked looking the part of the "poor, old hobos".  Well, those dudes bought nice guitars, suits, and cars as soon as they can afford it, especially after they wax a couple of 78s uptown!  But more often than not, they were poor and it showed in their gear and getup.  Their consolation was the occasional promotional studio photo with the borrowed suit and guitar.

Muddy Waters came to Europe wearing fine suits that demonstrated his stature in bluesdom.  With his electric band, he wasn't always well received.  He came back the next year in overalls plus acoustic guitar and got standing ovations everywhere.  :-D

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 10:46:15 PM »
Muddy Waters came to Europe wearing fine suits that demonstrated his stature in bluesdom.  With his electric band, he wasn't always well received.  He came back the next year in overalls plus acoustic guitar and got standing ovations everywhere.  :-D

hahaha...

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 10:50:50 PM »

hey jim, I think what keith was saying is that if you dress the part, you gotta make sure that you can play the part too... I mean imagine if Stevie or more so Jimi showed up at their gigs in their favorite kimonos & hats and then played sucky guitar... I wouldn't think the kimono nor the hat could save the gig right? :-D

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
Great interview!  Thanks for sharing that, zann!   :-D

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 06:05:30 PM »
hahaha awesome :)
Are You Experienced