hulika

Author Topic: HOMEbrew v.s TONEbone  (Read 1050 times)

Offline ianz

• Veteran Member
HOMEbrew v.s TONEbone
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »
man can you guys help me out?

im really confused which pedal to buy  a homebrew "big d" or tonebone classic tube drive.. :? :? :?
any pedal owners out there? (homebrew and tonebone) that wanna share their own experience..

based on these categories versatility, quality and roadworthy

pretty much almost the same price sla (so out of the question na yung price)

any help would be greatly appreciated..  :-)

"im your hoochie coochie dodong!!!"

--D.D.S  Represent--

Chito

Re: HOMEbrew v.s TONEbone
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »
I'd say take the Tonebone Classic. I have one and it has served me well for over a year now. Been gigging with it since I bought it. You can dial in a lot of tones out of it. One thing that stands out for me, is how it responds to pick attack. Not sure if it has anything to do with the 12AX7 in it but I've compared it to my Homebrew PowerScreamer, Keeley DS-1 Ultra, MI Audio Crunchbox, and others, and that is thing that I cant get out of the other pedals. Mind you, each of those have a different tonal character. But if I'm asked to choose only one pedal, I'll take the Tonebone anytime.

Just my .02 cents in canadian funds...

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »
tonebone.................................

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:51:02 PM »
got the tonebone classic for a steal price of 7.5k!hehe. :lol:
dude panalo tong pedal na to,the major criticism about tonebones is the switch, in my case the super kind seller who sold me the unit for a low price modified/changed the switch so that it can function well. as sir Chito said, there's a HELL LOT of tones that can be drawn from this wonderful thing and for me the best part is that it's quite transparent as an OD, even at medium gain I could still hear the distinct quack of my EMG SA's at position 2 hehe. the top end switch blew me away the first time I played this pedal, panalo!

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:02:22 AM »
mi audio crunchbox na lang para wlang hassle!

Offline ianz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:53:20 PM »
thank you very much for all ur help guys!! :) very much appreciated po..   :-D

how bout from the homebrew "big d" owners? any inputs from u guys? :)
"im your hoochie coochie dodong!!!"

--D.D.S  Represent--

Chito

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:02:10 PM »
Steal ba pareng tet?  :-D I use to be the owner of fraudulentzodiac tonebone which i sold to him as a steal (like he said). I changed the switch because i was having problems with it, i actually still have 2 or 3 extra switches with me.

anyway, the tonebone is such a versatile pedal,  you can hear the transparency of the notes even when doing those power chords. The nice thing about the tonebone is its sensitivity to pick attack, it is very responsive. A lot of sounds can be found with some tweaking here and there, its what i would call a semi one trick pony if you will. Excellent semi boutique pedal for your money.

I've had the switch on mine replaced with a switch that Radial sent me and I haven't had any problems with it again.  From what they told me, it seems like they have fixed this problem with the switches since then. I wouldn't be concerned about it if you buy a new one.