hulika

Author Topic: pwede ba sa FX loop?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline tuyuta

pwede ba sa FX loop?
« on: August 23, 2007, 04:08:03 PM »
just bought a peavey prowler. i think i'd like to use the pre-amp gain than using dirtbox. my problem is variety of distortion. can i put my dirt pedals in the fx loop? is it safe for the amp?

salamats

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: pwede ba sa FX loop?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:27:04 PM »
not a problem... experiment away!

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »
Yup not a problem but I'd rather put it in front of the amp...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »
An FX loop is where you normally place time-based or modulation FX.  These include phasers, flangers, choruses, then reverb, and delay.  Placing a distortion pedal in the loop is not common, but there is no problem with trying.   :mrgreen:  BTW, beware of fx loops that take in +4dB levels that are meant for line-level fx.

Offline tuyuta

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 06:49:28 PM »
iniisip ko lang kasi kapag infront ng amp, that means i'm gonna use 4 cables. gtar---dirts---amp---send---return.  though i usually bring 4 cables all the time. nakatamad lang mag kabit kabit, tsaka dadaming kakalat sa lapag. hehe. ganun ba talaga?

sir skunkyfunk, pede pong paki explain kung ano po ibig sabihin nito: "BTW, beware of fx loops that take in +4dB levels that are meant for line-level fx." and how will i know kung anog dB level dapat na input sa fxloop.

maramings salamats

Offline trewzd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:54:06 PM »
iniisip ko lang kasi kapag infront ng amp, that means i'm gonna use 4 cables. gtar---dirts---amp---send---return.  though i usually bring 4 cables all the time. nakatamad lang mag kabit kabit, tsaka dadaming kakalat sa lapag. hehe. ganun ba talaga?

try puting it on a pedal bord

Offline bendedbeam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:03:01 AM »
An FX loop is where you normally place time-based or modulation FX.  These include phasers, flangers, choruses, then reverb, and delay.  Placing a distortion pedal in the loop is not common, but there is no problem with trying.   :mrgreen:  BTW, beware of fx loops that take in +4dB levels that are meant for line-level fx.

+1
Normally a drive pedal is placed as close to the guitar as possible, why? Because it responds with the volume you set on your guitar. The guitar output level is greater than line level, especially from high output humbuckers. If you will insert it after the preamp (in the FX loop) then that means the pedal is receiving line level signal which is what skunkyfunk is talking about. Line level signal has a certain max level which is only so much that it shouldn't distort the next stage in line, which are most likely modulation pedals/processors. You don't want to get unwanted distortion from devices which are not meant to sound dirty. On the contrary you'd like the drive pedal to do it's job which is to distort the sound thus you need a higher level signal as an input and you may not get that signal level in the FX loop.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:04:05 AM by bendedbeam »
---------------------------------
It's not the guitar's fault...

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 01:41:52 PM »
just bought a peavey prowler. i think i'd like to use the pre-amp gain than using dirtbox. my problem is variety of distortion. can i put my dirt pedals in the fx loop? is it safe for the amp?

salamats
san mo nabili bro?PM me kung magkano.tnx

Offline tuyuta

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:41:39 PM »
+1
Normally a drive pedal is placed as close to the guitar as possible, why? Because it responds with the volume you set on your guitar. The guitar output level is greater than line level, especially from high output humbuckers. If you will insert it after the preamp (in the FX loop) then that means the pedal is receiving line level signal which is what skunkyfunk is talking about. Line level signal has a certain max level which is only so much that it shouldn't distort the next stage in line, which are most likely modulation pedals/processors. You don't want to get unwanted distortion from devices which are not meant to sound dirty. On the contrary you'd like the drive pedal to do it's job which is to distort the sound thus you need a higher level signal as an input and you may not get that signal level in the FX loop.

Hope this helps.

yehey! may bago na naman akong natutunan. maraming salamats.

Offline brianb

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »
The guitar output level is greater than line level, especially from high output humbuckers.

Er, nope.  :-D

Instrument level signal such as what a guitar outputs is only on the order of 100 mV RMS, while line level is typically around 1V RMS. Thats a whole order of magnitude difference.

This is why you want to have as short a guitar cable as possible into your amp. Low level signals are prone to noise. Line-level signals can be run much longer, moreso if thru balanced connections.

Offline tuyuta

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:59:27 AM »

Instrument level signal such as what a guitar outputs is only on the order of 100 mV RMS, while line level is typically around 1V RMS. Thats a whole order of magnitude difference.

This is why you want to have as short a guitar cable as possible into your amp. Low level signals are prone to noise. Line-level signals can be run much longer, moreso if thru balanced connections.

ayan maraming salamats sa clarification. mukha ngang mas mataas ang signal strength coming from the line level kasi may "source" of energy talaga compared sa vibration ng strings to pups.

so pano po ito marerelate dun sa previous post ni sir skunky? sa pagkakaintindi ko kasi, ang madadamage e yung fx in the loop? dapat these fx can take in line-level strength signals?

btw, if guitar-dirt--->>> amp, saan na dapat isaksak yung output ng dirt fx, sa high o sa low input? since yung output from dirt will be greater than the usual signal straight from the guitar.

salamats

Offline bendedbeam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 02:35:12 AM »

brianb, thanks for the feedback...

It's good to know that we are reading a healthy piece of knowledge here. At least compared to other threads about guitars and amp supremacy, ehehe!!! Enlighten me gentlemen, when we encounter line-in/out is the signal through this line level or around 1V rms?

I'd like to highlight an excerp from an article which you can get here: http://home.pacific.net.sg/~firehzrd/audio/signals.html

The Line-Level
To minimise noise and distortion when processing sound, transferring it from one component to another, or reproducing recorded sound, there is a standard type of audio signal called the Line-Level signal. This electronic representation of sound is similar to the types used to drive speakers or coming from microphones and guitars. The only difference is in its strength. It is supposed to be rated at about 1 volt for professional applications, although I have no idea how they rated it. The professional term for this signal is called +4dBu.

Then some bright spark came along and said, "Hey, why should consumer products use the same sort of signal quality as professional products?" As a result, the totally redundant (but woefully popular) -10dBV signal was invented. This signal is rated at a tenth of a volt. There is actually no reason why there should be two types of signal. The two standards coexist in most studio setups, causing occasional conflicts.

Why was the line-level necessary? It is not so powerful to require high-power equipment to withstand the energy in the signal. In fact, line-level signals come out of just about every home hi-fi system (other than most amplifiers) so that they can be interconnected. It is also not so powerful that it would overload some circuits and cause distortion.

It is also not so low-power that noise begins to obscure all audio detail. As such, line-level signals are most appropriate for transferring audio information from component to component and sending to recording devices. How much power the devices use to record the sound is dependant on the individual method of recording.

I agree with the fact that line level may be greater than instrument level but also the bold part in the article should help the thread starter to decide not to place a dirt box in the FX loop. Cheers everyone!!!
---------------------------------
It's not the guitar's fault...