hulika

Author Topic: Hardware vs Software  (Read 2149 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hardware vs Software
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:10:42 AM »
The idea came to mind when i was talking to Starfugger over the phone.. "why not experiment on a track using your hardware and we will compare it with my software" ... so here is my invitation to Hazel..sige let's try it... the signal ( lets use a vocal track) has to come from someone here on the forum and not from the participants..ok?  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Hardware vs Software
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:19:22 AM »
ok sige :) kahit anong raw file lang para at least we know how far off the software is from the hardware ... we can try your la2a, diba may 1176 ka din? pwede din yon.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »
Hazel kakahiya mang aminin..oo meron ako  :oops:.. kakahiya in a sense na hindi ko pa alam masyado gamitin  8-).. gusto ko lang ituloy yung experiment na iniisip mo..
Music is art in sound...

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »
This would be a very nice test. And since you two are at it, why don't you try to check out this link:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=49&itemid=25669

It's entitled: Pro Tools vs Analog. Please do check out the downloadable files as well.
I believe that at the end of the day, it'll just be really a matter of preference wether to use analog or digital, hardware or software.

Cheers!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »
 thanks man,  i read the comments of the forum members here about the test that they took and the results they had but since we  ( the majority of the guys here) can't afford a "real PROTOOLS" setup and our equipments are not at par with those used in that Protools vs Analog test..a simple bahay kubo or better yet a hi, hello and goodbye will do..  8-) in other words, those were conducted by REAL PROS ( plus a full blown Protools ).. i guess my point is, will there be a difference if those two factors - hardware vs software was used by "us" newbies, hobbyist, semi pro or whatever you may want to call us and by how much in terms of sonic difference. sensiya na i think only 3 people here i know of is using a full blown Protools rig..
Music is art in sound...

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
No need to have a big set up. You can run the tests on PT LE's. It'll give you the same results.

I can offer our place as a venue for the test if you want. Though we only use LE systems, I believe we can still run the test there.

Just let me know when.

Cheers.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:31:41 AM »
Thanks for the offer but i am 10,000 miles away from you  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »
di bale..next time..sagot mo ang miryenda ha?  :lol:... isama mo na din hapunan..
Music is art in sound...

Offline astrobog

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:12:22 PM »
@baldo. Pare sagot mo pamasahe, kami na lang punta diyan!
@abusound. kumusta, nandiyan pa ba D-Command KO? hehe

shinji
Shinji
Sound Creation Studio
www.soundcreation-ph.com

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
No need to have a big set up. You can run the tests on PT LE's. It'll give you the same results.

I can offer our place as a venue for the test if you want. Though we only use LE systems, I believe we can still run the test there.

Just let me know when.

Cheers.

setup ka na rin ng midi controller bro.  para ma-test din yun RTAS virtual instruments, specifically structure!  still deliberatin the shift to protools pa rin.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 12:44:57 PM »
Dito pa D-command mo. Antay ka. kunin mo na ba next week?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 12:59:09 PM »

I'm not sure about things being equal. The HD system has better converters as well as a better clock compared to LE and MP systems so there's bound to be a difference.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »
I'm not sure about things being equal. The HD system has better converters as well as a better clock compared to LE and MP systems so there's bound to be a difference.
[/quote
Exactly..that is my point.. what if the tools we are going to use doesn't equal to those used in a bigger and better setup, maybe there won't be any difference or may be the other way - a night and day difference...
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 12:53:40 AM »
Shinji - naku ako na lang uuwi jan.. penge ulit soda saka beer ha?  :-D sagot ko pagkain, sagot mo pulutan.. 8-) hapi hapi hapi bertday, sanay malasing mo kami  :evil:
Music is art in sound...

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 12:55:52 AM »

oh, those converters.  i heard they're pretty good.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 08:48:11 AM »
shinji uses PT HD system converters and i have had the opportunity to sample these converters several times.  what i truly admire about his work is the CLARITY, openness, smoothness, and overall natural sound he derives right off the bat (tracking palang sobrang ganda na ng tunog!).  george massenburg feels differently about the HD converters though but who cares, haha.  as far as im concerned, HD system converters rock.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 09:48:52 AM »
well, as far as clocking is concerned, there's still a marked improvement on pro tools' converters when slaved to an apogee big ben. that's a definite advantage of software plug-ins over the hardware they try to emulate. they don't need to invest in very expensive a/d and d/a converters just to be able to use hardware processors. not that i would mind using hardware. i have a few of my own, and i do enjoy using them even during mixdown, although the use of hardware processors mess up the total recallability of a mixdown sessions.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 10:00:19 AM »
although the use of hardware processors mess up the total recallability of a mixdown sessions.

Unless you have midi control over these processors...
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 10:08:44 AM »
well, that is yet to happen on la2a's, 1176's, and most analog gear. it's really cool that the liquid channel has that feature.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============