hulika

Author Topic: Peavey JSX Mini Colossal guitar amp  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Peavey JSX Mini Colossal guitar amp
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:18:58 PM »

"The JSX Mini Colossal is a Class A monster in a nice, little box. It has what I always wished a small vintage amp would have: a pure, wide-open sound, classic tremolo, buffered effects loop, a unique power level attenuator, and a recording output that actually sounds like the the amp. Together with a specially voiced 8" speaker, the 5 watt Mini Colossal has a vintage tone that really rocks. It can run clean, crunchy, or down and dirty. It's unique design makes it easy to get a good tone fast, and its size makes it very practical. Whether practicing, recording, or even playing a small gig, this lively amp really sounds great." --- Joe Satriani
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
Re: Peavey JSX Mini Colossal guitar amp
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Has some really nice features built in and may just be perfect for home recording. Dont quite get the tremolo tho? Wonder how it sounds. $499 is a lot.

Was thinking of getting this, a zvex nano, an epiphone valve junior or the yun blackheart na 5W. Since I'm such a cheapskate I'll probably settle for the valve junior to get my feet wet on tube sounds at bedroom levels.

Offline Les Paul

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 07:13:22 PM »
$499? woah.  :-o
*fender squire fat stratocaster *marshall valvestate 8040 *zoom g2 *boston hm-100 *behringer eq700 *boston fl-100 *boston ch-100 *zoom 505 *customized PSU *customized pedalboard *boss ds-1 *picks, slide, blah blah blah...

Offline markflo

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:18:31 PM »
Hmmm. Ok kaya tunog nito?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:49:49 PM »
Hmmm. Ok kaya tunog nito?

Buti ka pa nandyan ka pede mong masubukan. Post a review.  :-D

Cant go wrong with the EVJ pero the JSX has all the features you'd want to mod sa EVJ.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 02:34:09 AM »
..too much money for an amp though.... we all know Satch relys on his pedals. He only needs a nice clean tube amp ..... so with any nice tube amp he sounds awesome.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »
How about this botique 4-watt monster at $289?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc89qquzEp4

Is this claim valid?

"PIC WILL UPDATED!  UNIT shown is very similar.

WILL FIT IN THE EPIPHONE VALVE JR (head or combo) or BUILD YOUR OWN CABINET FOR IT!

Think 1978/79 EVH.  Or perhaps Round and Round by Ratt.  Or even Appetite for Destruction.

This is designed as a drop in replacement for the *really* substandard stock Epiphone Valve Junior.  Just remove the back plate, remove the 4 screws from the top, slide the stock one out, slide this new one in, and voila, you have yourself a wolf in sheep's clothing.  This is an entire amplier head, and nothing from the stock Valve Jr is reused apart from the case.  OR, if you are good at woodworking, make yourself and dandy little head cabinet for it out of a solid wood.  I can give you some dimensions.

This is not your typical guitar amp.  It is a high-gain 3 watt guitar amp with a PP pair of 6AQ5 output tube.  I have built a ton of high gain circuits recently and this is the latest.  Truly world class high gain sound.  If you are into the Soldano's, Mesa's, Bogners, hot-rodded Marshalls, JCM900/2204, High Octanes, even Dumble overdrives of the world then this is absolutely in their league, and IMO, this elegant, simple, tested amplifier would not be out-done by ANYONE.  I spent an eternity tweaking the balance of this circuit, both the tonal balance and distortion balance.  I started with a Soldano slo100 circuit, then a Bad Cat X-treme Tone, then a Bogner XTC circuit,  then a Roccaforte HG100, then going back an tweaking cathode resistors, and coupling cap corner frequencies.  So the preamp circuit could be considered a cross between the HG100 and the Bogner XTC. The sound is a cut above the 5150's buzziness.  I am also very familiar with the Orange Tiny Terror and I would take this amp over the TT - mind you I really like the Orange but it just lacks a little grunt in comparison.  Please email me if you need any more info  Thanks for looking.  Shipping is $23.99 for US48 and Canada.  "