hulika

Author Topic: Tony Wilson, RIP  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tony Wilson, RIP
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:37:27 AM »
One of Manchester's favorite sons has passed on.  If you're not familiar with his contribution to the music world, I'd highly suggest checking out the movie 24 Hour Party People.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=271963&affid=100055&GT1=

British Music Mogul Tony Wilson Dies
Aug 11, 12:50 AM EST

The Associated Press

LONDON -- Tony Wilson, a music impresario credited with guiding a crop of bands from industrial England to the international stage, died Friday. He was 57.

Wilson promoted a host of influential musicians from his native city of Manchester in northern England, including Joy Division, New Order and the Happy Mondays.

He died from complications of kidney cancer, the city's Christie Hospital said.

Wilson's influence on the city, and on British music, is documented in the 2002 movie "24 Hour Party People," which charts the rise — and eventual fall — of Wilson's empire, which included Factory Records and the Hacienda nightclub.

Manchester-born and Cambridge-educated, Wilson's record label and nightclub were credited with making the city Britain's most vibrant music center through the 1980s and 1990s, spawning bands including the Smiths, the Stone Roses and Oasis.

Though Factory Records and the Hacienda closed down in the 1990s, Wilson remained a passionate advocate for his city, presenting a radio show for the local British Broadcasting Corp. station.

"He was a true free spirit and a passionate advocate for Manchester — the city, its people and, of course, its music," the BBC said in a statement.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tony Wilson, RIP
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 11:23:31 PM »
too bad, he rejected the smiths.. RIP

Offline ronnie james jeremy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:03:37 PM »
astig si wilson, visionary at connosieur ng cutting edge music

Offline fsandc

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »
Mr. wilson is just great.i cant wait to see the ian curtis' bioflick "control"
i wonder how they portrayed tony in it.its based on the book written by ian's widow, so i reckon it can be cheeky.
btw,24 hour party people is one of the best films on music ive seen.
regardless,of him not signing the smiths (im not sure if they actually approached him anyway) i think having signed joy division (later new order),a certain ratio,happy mondays,and the lot of em mancunian wonders is more than enuff for anyone to handle.
cheers and happy halloween
pls visit our offical site for various links, featuring our mp3s. Ayos:)<br />www.myspace.com/fsandc

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:18:43 AM »
Mr. wilson is just great.i cant wait to see the ian curtis' bioflick "control"
i wonder how they portrayed tony in it.its based on the book written by ian's widow, so i reckon it can be cheeky.
btw,24 hour party people is one of the best films on music ive seen.
regardless,of him not signing the smiths (im not sure if they actually approached him anyway) i think having signed joy division (later new order),a certain ratio,happy mondays,and the lot of em mancunian wonders is more than enuff for anyone to handle.
cheers and happy halloween

I saw Control yesterday.  It was a fantastic flick.  Anton Corbijn somehow demystifies Ian Curtis as a music legend.  He shows the JD vocalist as flawed just like every one of us.  This may have been what Kurt Cobain was exactly going through as well--taking pressure from all sides from his band, his wife, the press, etc.  I also like the inside joke that was inserted into the movie in the line about how Ian's situation couldve been worse; that he would've been the vocalist of The Fall (as a reference to the actor's role as Mark E Smith in 24 Hour Party People).  I was really moved by the tableu in the final scene of the movie.  It's set at a pub stall.  Seated was Gillian Gilbert, Stephen Morris, Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook, and Rob Gretton.  I loved how that shot alone (in spite of the somber look on all their faces) was a foreshadowing of hope and great music and experiences to come for all that were seated in the shot. The film is a great companion piece to 24 Hour Party People.

I highly suggest picking up the book version of 24 Hour Party People.  Lots of details were left out of the movie including the origin of those raver trousers as popularized by The Happy Mondays, Rob Gretton and Mike Pickering's experience of almost being beaten up by rowdy Manchester United football club fans/hooligans, a band named Crispy Ambulance, and even Morrissey's letter-writing campaign (he was then around 15 years old) to Tony Wilson regarding bringing The New York Dolls to the Granada TV studios to play at his show.  Fun times.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:20:31 AM by Deadwing »

Offline fsandc

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 12:53:16 AM »
Cool m8
anton corbijn's one hell of a visual artist.im sure its stunning.btw,is the dvd available at locally (e.g. pir8 stalls?) hehe
im just amazed how the spirit of the hacienda dint actually catch on here in the phils..well except for em "baggy troosers", which was adapted by em hiphoppers:-)seriously though,back in 87-90, when the happy mondays,stone roses,and other manc rockers we're ruling the uk scene,i dont remember any pinoy band actually playing along that vein.i guess, we could blame local radio too eh?oh well.
btw,the fall are pure class.love em!
pls visit our offical site for various links, featuring our mp3s. Ayos:)<br />www.myspace.com/fsandc