hulika

Author Topic: Shure SM58 Mic Torture-Tested: Takes a Licking…  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 Mic Torture-Tested: Takes a Licking…
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:40:46 PM »
Shure SM58 Mic Torture-Tested: Takes a Licking…

Quote from: Peter Kirn
The classic SM58 vocal mic has stood up to abuse before, but the Scandinavian-based Studio TV takes it to a new level.

Us Americans are wimps. Scandinavians know how to test music gear. As a metal soundtrack pounds away in the background, a Shure SM58 gets subjected to some serious torture testing, including:

• Being used to hammer nails
  • Dropped a couple of meters
  • Frozen
  • Dunked in water
  • Driven over by a car

And then something really nasty happens involving Heineken and a microwave.

Mats Ståhlbröst, diabolical creator of this insanity, explains:

We wanted to find out if the SM58 can live up to its [reputation as the toughest mic in the world] and decided to put it through a series of tests. PS Studio is Scandinavia’s leading magazine covering music production.

Of course, Shure had no part in these tests … wait, they actually did? (I’m going to start requesting review units from these guys!)

The Swedish Shure distributor supplied us with an SM58… and I think both they and Shure should be pretty happy with the results. This is one tough mic. :)

I’ll say. There’s a reason the SM58 is a favorite in live venues. You have my permission to keep this a secret and tell everyone to keep babying your mics, mind you.

Click on the link to watch the video and find out what it takes...

The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Shure SM58 Mic Torture-Tested: Takes a Licking…
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:58:28 PM »
That was a complete waste of some fine Heineken! But at least now I know why I won't let go of my SM-58.  :-D
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »
pretty amazing  :-D

magkakaron ba ng difference sa results kung nakasaksak sa xlr cable at may current na dumadaan sa mic. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:59:20 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline bhenard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »
Is that real?

it means you have to test like this if u want to buy a toughest mic :lol:

whew,...what a waste.
Roland,...Korg,...or Yamaha?
Need Digital Pianos/Organs/Keyboards?..0949-8708-620
Yamaha S90es,Kawai KS1 acoustic piano. Yamaha Baby grand.Roland FA06 Synth. Yamaha CVP-307 digital piano.Yamaha KA20 kbord amp.Roland HD-1 v-drums lite

Offline rockizta123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
multipurpose mic... :lol:
pwedeng pamalo sa cymbals, sa nananyansing na bouncer :-D :lol:
ayos!