hulika

Author Topic: Playing wav samples using an external MIDI controller  (Read 1529 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Playing wav samples using an external MIDI controller
« on: December 10, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »
I've made some sounds on my Roland JX-3P and I'd like to be able to migrate them to my PC. Is it possible to use these sounds as samples and play them (a ala softsynth) using an external MIDI keyboard?
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Playing wav samples using an external MIDI controller
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
yup. you will need a software sampler. depending on the particular one you may also need a host/software sequencer
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 04:48:47 PM »
I see. I presume Sonar and Cubase will do the sequencer jobs for me, correct? Will these allow me to run MIDI files and have them trigger the samples (instead of the stock MIDI tones) as well?

I'm not familiar with software samplers. What are some programs that do the job well?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 04:55:24 PM by titser_marco »

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
NI Kontakt for me is nice, BFD for drum sample. Better wait for KitC and marvinq's post. Mga Midi experts yang mga yan :D
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 05:12:57 PM »
Onga e. I've asked KitC similar questions before but alas, all the info I got from him was wiped along with other files when the old computer crashed.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »
I see. I presume Sonar and Cubase will do the sequencer jobs for me, correct? Will these allow me to run MIDI files and have them trigger the samples (instead of the stock MIDI tones) as well?

I'm not familiar with software samplers. What are some programs that do the job well?

yes sonar and cubase will do the job

try the ds404 its a sampler that computer music magazine released for free. its as simple as it gets but it will get you started

some of the good payware stuff is kontakt, halion...
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
yeah! magaganda mga pad ng halion :D
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 05:35:45 PM »
yes sonar and cubase will do the job

try the ds404 its a sampler that computer music magazine released for free. its as simple as it gets but it will get you started

some of the good payware stuff is kontakt, halion...

Waaah, the DS-404's only available to Computer Music readers! :( Are there any freeware soft samplers out there?

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 05:40:06 PM »
nge onga no...i got it from someone else e, i could email it to you...pm me your addy

but theres a lot on kvr! lots of weirder samplers too (will play your samples randomly etc)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:07:19 AM »
Halion is nice but it uses up way too much cpu resources for my taste - that is why I stuck with NI Kontakt for a while now. Triggering samples live for me is done a couple of ways - I use my Korg Kontrol 49 a lot of synth and pad triggering and the Zendrum for drum only triggering. I am an avid Battery and BFD user.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:41:52 AM »
If you use a soundblaster, download Vienna and make soundfonts from your JX samples. The soundblaster synth engine can be quite powerful plus soundfonts are usually portable to other sampler software. Look also for rgcaudio's free sfz player which can play soundfonts on audio hardware other than soundblasters.
For links to free samplers, just reference our Free Plugins and Soundfonts sticky above.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 06:33:06 AM »
Hmm, but right now I'm using the AC97 on the motherboard (while waiting for the Delta 44 to arrive). Is there anything that's similar to Vienna that would work with my current hardware?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
Try Synthfont's Viena which allows you to make soundfonts without a blaster. They also have a free soundfont player as well as tutorials on making soundfonts.

Try going to sf2midi.com - there might be JX-3P soundfonts there already.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire