hulika

Author Topic: latency inquiry  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Rodster

latency inquiry
« on: December 14, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »
i seem to have a prob with my finale 2k7. when i notate a piano piece...delayed feedback nya and mabilis yun playback

could it have something to do with latency as a friend mentioned?

pa troubleshoot pls.

thanks

rody

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: latency inquiry
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 04:28:16 PM »
Not necessarily. Latency is often a function of the soundcard drivers/hardware and your pc specs. Another probability is that you are using the MS GS synth, the bane of most live playing.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Rodster

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:20:21 PM »
should i use the creative soundfont synth instead of the ms gs wavetable synth?

should i just leave the latency worry behind?

im still looking for solutions as of my midi finale thing

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:45:18 PM »
should i use the creative soundfont synth instead of the ms gs wavetable synth?

Yes. The GS synth has a known latency anywhere from 100 ms to  about 350 ms... that's a third of a second! Definitely not meant for live playing although there is a fix for it here: http://www.1manband.nl/microsoftsynth.htm

Just load a good soundfont into Creative's synth. If you need better soundfonts than what came with your card, go to soundfonts.it or hammersound.com (presently down although you can navigate to the Sounds page then into the soundfont library).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Rodster

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:28:56 PM »
gosh, what can i say...not only are you a genius but generous.

last...i downloaded everything at latency fix... though i haven't tried downloading stuff at soundfonts...

i could only use one of the two synth right?

and if i download sfArk + sfP and/or soundFonts.it sources....how do i attach or load them to my creative synth...just a further and deeper tutorial pls...im getting there little by little =)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 12:52:02 AM »
You could use one of the 2 synths, or both if your system will allow. You can go hogwild and load a different soundfont into each synth, but there are limits to how much ram the soundfonts can use (can't recall if it was 64 or 128 megs, but it is definitely tied to the amount of onboard ram), as well as total polyphony - 128 notes if I recall. Last time I used my SBLive! was about 6 years ago so forgive me if I can't recall certain details. If you use any of the 10K1 or 10K2 cards (Live or Audigy), try to look for better drivers than the Creative ones. I tend to favor kxdrivers because of their lower latencies.

For loading soundfonts, look at the blaster's control panel. There's a tab where you can load other soundfonts (blaster users! help me here!). With kxdrivers, it's like the 4th level in the control panel hierarchy, IIRC.