hulika

Author Topic: Guild Starfire VS Ibanez JSM100VT archtops  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guild Starfire VS Ibanez JSM100VT archtops
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:20:29 PM »
...torn between the two...cannot find a store locally so I can try it.....any thoughts on these guitars?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guild Starfire VS Ibanez JSM100VT archtops
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »
i've tried and am a fan of the Starfire. Well made guitars. I don't currently own one but I have used them in the past and am quite familiar with the Guild electric's workmanship - I own a Bluesbird and a couple S-100s. What do you want to know about em?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »
i've tried and am a fan of the Starfire. Well made guitars. I don't currently own one but I have used them in the past and am quite familiar with the Guild electric's workmanship - I own a Bluesbird and a couple S-100s. What do you want to know about em?
....playability, sound, and craftsmanship.....

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 05:20:54 AM »
....playability, sound, and craftsmanship.....

playability and craftsmanship: the Starfire guitars are very versatile for doing all kinds of styles from rock to blues, the hollowbody design of the guitar lends a good balance to solid tone and sustain. the Starfires I've seen have come equipped with Bigsbys which work really well for playing Rockabilly and country type music and rock or jazz too. In comparison to an ES-335, I would say that it sounds a bit less mellow which could be a good thing if you want to use the guitar for more aggressive music that requires a more up-front, less subdued sound. the make of Starfire guitars (pre and post fender acquisition) hasn't changed the way the guitars are made from what I can gather but a notable thing about the physicial features of these guitars is that they do tend to be beefier feeling than ES-335s along the neck.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:38:35 AM »
playability and craftsmanship: the Starfire guitars are very versatile for doing all kinds of styles from rock to blues, the hollowbody design of the guitar lends a good balance to solid tone and sustain. the Starfires I've seen have come equipped with Bigsbys which work really well for playing Rockabilly and country type music and rock or jazz too. In comparison to an ES-335, I would say that it sounds a bit less mellow which could be a good thing if you want to use the guitar for more aggressive music that requires a more up-front, less subdued sound. the make of Starfire guitars (pre and post fender acquisition) hasn't changed the way the guitars are made from what I can gather but a notable thing about the physicial features of these guitars is that they do tend to be beefier feeling than ES-335s along the neck.
beefier like you mean... a Gibson 59 round neck?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »
beefier like you mean... a Gibson 59 round neck?
no, not that fat..i guess I should've said its a bit wider feeling as opposed to having the girth of a 59 neck profile because it does feel a bit wider than an ES to me. since I've got long fingers, wide fingerboards are something I really appreciate in guitars and those Starfire's (apart from being pretty light) have very comfortable necks.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 11:02:26 AM »
no, not that fat..i guess I should've said its a bit wider feeling as opposed to having the girth of a 59 neck profile because it does feel a bit wider than an ES to me. since I've got long fingers, wide fingerboards are something I really appreciate in guitars and those Starfire's (apart from being pretty light) have very comfortable necks.

cool...

heres a pic of the Ibanez Scofield sig......

and the Guild Starfire IV

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:09:20 AM by Phil »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
hot damn...i am a fan of the Guild axes but, man, that Scofield looks really, really nice. I wonder how it sounds...

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 03:13:46 PM »
cool...

heres a pic of the Ibanez Scofield sig......

Go for the Scofield sig! I know i would.(if i had the dough to blow)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »
hot damn...i am a fan of the Guild axes but, man, that Scofield looks really, really nice. I wonder how it sounds...
...looks nice.....and the seller is local. I read it has .13s and the nut is half brass and half bone.....wonder why. I recently played a SRV sig strat with .13s.....I like the .13s.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:28:13 PM by Phil »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 11:58:56 PM »
...looks nice.....and the seller is local. I read it has .13s and the nut is half brass and half bone.....wonder why. I recently played a SRV sig strat with .13s.....I like the .13s.

they flatwound 13s? if so, then it must mainly be for jazz because that guage offers a very mellow and jazzy tone. i currently have 13s on one of my strats but they are the regularly roundwound strings. as for the nut, that is a different combo I've never seen before...maybe it offers better sustain?