hulika

Author Topic: MYSTERY DEAD STRING ... SOLVED!  (Read 825 times)

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
MYSTERY DEAD STRING ... SOLVED!
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:46:59 PM »
I
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:02:09 PM by chromeknive »

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MYSTERY DEAD STRING ... desperate ... HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »
I suggest that you have one of our local luthiers check it.

EDIT: Oops. Ignore this post since you already had it checked.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:08:19 PM by Tasty »
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline IncX

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »

did you change the string? cause you might have a dead string in your hands ... happened to me just now... bought a set of roto solo bass strings... and the G string was dead.

if you bought it to elegee 3 times and he ddnt see anything wrong with it, then its the string... if its not the string, then i guess its something else...

i myself have that problem with my warwick... i have a mystery problem with one of my strings and the only way to cure it is to raise the action very high ...

hope youd find a solution to your probs

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:27:51 PM »
If the dead sound occurs at specific locations, as you pointed out, it's most likely that one of your frets is not leveled and the string is buzzing against it. That's my most educated (and from experience) guess.

It would also be nice to know what strings you're using. I used to use these Fake fender strings, and they were great before, but lately I've noticed that the quality dropped so significantly, my guitars that are wearing them now sound like gooey brown stuff. All loose and buzzy.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 10:43:27 PM »
HAHA i have the exact same problem with TWO of my guitars.

Bros, the G string is notorious for being "dead".  try a search on the net and you'll notice practically every guitar forum has one dead G thread!  although there are many explanation offered, the one that makes sense is in this article here:

http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0202Setuptxt.html

the quick answer: the unwound G is too slack...

the solution: a wound G.  it has the proper gauge so that the string has the correct tension :-D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:49:46 PM by tapslore »
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
Re: MYSTERY DEAD STRING ... desperate ... SOLVED!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
thanks guys! thanks tapslore! you hit it right on the button! the solution just came to me late last night after thinking about the article you referred me to.

incx, tasty and sir bamf : thanks for the ideas and insights. really got me thinking and helped me deduce and troubleshoot and approach the tapslore article with the proper mindset. i finally arrived at the god simple solution.

thanks to sir jon of elegee for putting up with my OCD. ayan sir, di ko na bibigay pera ko sa'yo three times a month. :lol:

the answer was :

from the nu-metal tuning of [ B F# B E G# C# ] ... i tuned to the metalcore/nu-metal tuning of [ C G C F A D ] ...    it fixed the dead string and improved the tone of the guitar overall. a few more purchases (locking tuners and a new pot and 3-way switch) and my baby will complete its transformation. i pride myself on improving my instrument and growing as a player simultaneously. (beloved project guitar ko kasi 'to hehe)

goodbye, nu-metal roots of mine...time to learn how to shred kahit paano. hello killswitch engage. show me your secrets.  :lol:

i started playing guitar in 1999. sorry, people...i grew up with nu-metal. :lol: not rapmetal ah! nu-metal naman.    incx, the VERY funny thing is the first guitar riff i DID learn was none other than the song you mentioned in the other thread...MY OWN SUMMER (or was that paengkee haha).

THAAAAAAAAAAAANKS GUYS! tapslore, if my son is born on this day some time in the future, i will name him after you. would you prefer tapslore or you actual first name? haha!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:35:37 PM by chromeknive »

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
Re: MYSTERY DEAD STRING ... SOLVED!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »
hehe glad to help bro :).  that dead 3rd string issue also got me going crazy before.  it got so bad i suspected the strings shipped to the philippines were old stock  :-D.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:31:41 PM by tapslore »
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18