hulika

Author Topic: jazz 101  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Overture

• Netizen Level
jazz 101
« on: June 28, 2007, 11:35:40 PM »
 im trying to learn blues and jazz po<bka nmn you can give me some tips,tska mga listening po... medyo my intro n ko,pero di ko n alam were to go from der...salamat po

william251082

Re: jazz 101
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:24:13 AM »
If you have great rhythm you can play anything.
It's not the notes you play, it's in the way you play it.

Anybody who has a problem about those statements above should watch and LISTEN to some Miles Davis live concert or any great jazz musicians' live concert to realize EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about.

LISTEN TO REAL PLAYERS NOT TO THE PRETENDERS!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:28:55 AM by william251082 »

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »
And who, pray tell, gets to sit in judgement and separate the wheat from the chaff?
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
And who, pray tell, gets to sit in judgement and separate the wheat from the chaff?

Ang taray. :)

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
Jazz?

II-V-I. (Aebersold)

Yup, good suggestion sir jaznrak. Aebersold is a good jump-off point to learn how to play jazz and improvise!

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »
Ang taray. :)

Ang daming nakatira sa Nagmamarunong St., Teacher's Village.

Parang ang sakit sa tenga ng mga hirit na mala "listen to the players, not the pretenders".

Who can say with absolute authority which is which? Certainly not I.

The most anyone can ever offer is a personal opinion regarding matters of taste.

One man's player is another's pretender. Vice versa too.

Mahirap na magsalita, that's all I'm saying.

Perhaps the wiser one gets, the less certain one is.

Perhaps.

Offline zensui425

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
Ika nga ni Mamang Albert Einstein, "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."
One down, One up.

william251082

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »
Ang daming nakatira sa Nagmamarunong St., Teacher's Village.

Parang ang sakit sa tenga ng mga hirit na mala "listen to the players, not the pretenders".

Who can say with absolute authority which is which? Certainly not I.

The most anyone can ever offer is a personal opinion regarding matters of taste.

One man's player is another's pretender. Vice versa too.

Mahirap na magsalita, that's all I'm saying.

Perhaps the wiser one gets, the less certain one is.

Perhaps.

I agree, no one can EVER say who's a complete musician or not, because music is not a 4-year course, it's a life-long journey.

My point is, take this for example, 'who are you gonna listen to when comes to music? Pat Metheny or some unknown theory guy?

Offline juscam

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »
puede bang makilala itong 'unknown theory guy' ng maipaliwanag sa akin tong lintak na pinag gagawa ni pat metheny.

the great pretender ni lester bowie...

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »
he he. that's why i don't listen to chrissie hynde and her band.  :-D
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »
I agree, no one can EVER say who's a complete musician or not, because music is not a 4-year course, it's a life-long journey.

My point is, take this for example, 'who are you gonna listen to when comes to music? Pat Metheny or some unknown theory guy?

And my point is --- some unknown theory guy might actually play some stuff which would make Metheny himself sit up and take notice.

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:46:42 PM »
And my point is --- some unknown theory guy might actually play some stuff which would make Metheny himself sit up and take notice.

Well said, sir aya  :-D Lots of great yet UNKNOWN (sadly) players out there who are absolutely KILLIN.

Bryan Baker i think is one example of a guy with a voice of his own and a unique sound.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »
I say we can listen to whoever we want to listen to. One man's "pretender" can be another man's "player".

A "pretender", or an unknown theory guy, can sometimes be interesting - I've known a few myself.

Ang sakit naman kung hindi - paano pa kaming mga unknown clueless guys? Hindi na ba kami worthy pakinggan nga mga mas magagaling sa amin? Kahit na very honest kami with the music?  :cry:

(haha drama.  :-D)

I say, as long as a person is playing music, he may be worth listening to.

But hey, to each his own.   :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
I say we can listen to whoever we want to listen to. One man's "pretender" can be another man's "player".

A "pretender", or an unknown theory guy, can sometimes be interesting - I've known a few myself.

Ang sakit naman kung hindi - paano pa kaming mga unknown clueless guys? Hindi na ba kami worthy pakinggan nga mga mas magagaling sa amin? Kahit na very honest kami with the music?  :cry:

(haha drama.  :-D)

I say, as long as a person is playing music, he may be worth listening to.

Exactly. A little bit of humility goes a long way.

I may appear to be in direct opposition to William but in reality my intent is to spare him the pain of being humbled by life itself. I know all too well the bitter pill of having humilty forced upon me.

If only someone had had the wit, the temerity and the authority to put me in my place at 25, I'd have been spared much needless suffering.

itchybrain

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »

Raymond Red is pretty unknown compared to Lars von Tier. I'd go for Raymond any time.  :wink:

La kasi ako kilala sa Jazz world e.  :-D

Offline ibanezman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
 :-D

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
Makinig ka lang muna siguro sa 105.1 Crossover - at least may idea ka ng tugtugang may improvisation, etc.  Very commercial stuff ito, sinasabi ko na nang maaga.

Offline Kipling241

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

there is only but ONE judge! And that is, the square root of Pi
Fnord.

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 12:34:24 AM »
hands down in agreement...

my two cents, open your ears to everything around you, even that "unknown theory guy"... take in everything, then play whatever you feel like playing... nobody can do that but you.
Thank God for music..
LF: Fender Frontman 25r