hulika

Author Topic: Cassette to DISK /cd  (Read 1148 times)

itchybrain

Cassette to DISK /cd
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:45:58 PM »

Dear Mods,

I want to save the lives of my beloved twisted red cross tapes and would like to transfer it to my harddrive. I just don't know how. I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks po.

PS:

Sorry kung may topic na ganito. I did use the search function but only one thread opened up and it's about VHS/VIDEO TAPE TRANSFER not audio cassette. I tried looking down the topics but had to give up coz i felt nauseous. :-D thanks.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Cassette to DISK /cd
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »
basically you need a reliable working cassette player with the heads cleaned. then you have to make sure that the tapes are in good condition . and fastforward and then rewind the tape again to make sure the tape does not stick and won't be eaten by the tape mechanism.

if you think your pc has a good enough built in soundcard then it is a simple matter of connecting the tape player from the headphone/line outs jacks to the line in jacks of the sound card (lime green) with the proper cable. then using windows built in application called "sound recorder". set the cassette player for a moderate level output and then make a couple of test recordings and adjust accordingly.

other methods are also possible...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

itchybrain

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »

Ei! thanks, bro. Will try it, sir. :-) I really appreciate it.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:21:02 PM »
oops its not a lime green color for the line inputs in the soundcard, but there should be a label there.

bear in mind that tape hiss is inherent in most cassette tapes, this will also be included in the recording and you may try to filter it out by using equalizer or other bandpass filters... sometimes with bearable results...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

itchybrain

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

Aaahh. Thanks again. :)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
ei ogie!

dalhin mo na lang dito mga cassettes mo... transfer natin! :D
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline raki

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »
..i'm not sure about this but i think the Windows sound recorder has time/size limit (?), not sure about that. And you'll also end up with HUGE .wav files averaging 50MB each..

i used CoolEdit (Adobe Audition na ngayon) to record one song off from a tape before, kung wala ka nun, you can use it's Trial Version, one time mo lang naman gagamitin eh, you'll be done before 30 days. Yun lang, disabled yata yung option to save in MP3. (you can use other converters for that or burn the .wavs straight to CD)

Despite that i'm recommending you use CoolEdit (Adobe Audition), kasi pwede mo i record yung 'hiss' and use it as a 'sample' to remove the hiss from the rest of the  song. (I dunno about any others that can do this, i'm pretty sure meron, pero eto lang alam ko gamitin). One pass should be good..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 05:24:41 PM »
..i'm not sure about this but i think the Windows sound recorder has time/size limit (?), not sure about that. And you'll also end up with HUGE .wav files averaging 50MB each..

Windows recorder does have a 30 sec time limit. The huge file sizes are not a problem if the end result will be cd anyway. Besides, you don't want to burn an mp3 to cd audio anyway; you will always want the unadulterated wav file as the source for cd burning.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire