hulika

Author Topic: doorbells,buzzers,toygun,cheap pianos,calculators. how does it work?  (Read 4182 times)

LouieAzcona

whats the system behind these sound-producing, day-to-day things? Where is the sound stored? please excuse my ignorance, its just that, sometimes, i find it amazing.  :-D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: doorbells,buzzers,toygun,cheap pianos,calculators. how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »
whats the system behind these sound-producing, day-to-day things? Where is the sound stored? please excuse my ignorance, its just that, sometimes, i find it amazing.  :-D

howstuffworks.com

LouieAzcona

LouieAzcona

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »
the piece that stores the "ding-dong" in a doorbell... what is it called?

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:35:36 PM »
sometimes its in a chip which has a specific function. its called an integrated circuit. meaning sensor and audio output are both included in one chip. the more socket pins (8 pin, 14pin etc) the more complex the function is. i would guess a ding dong bell would be similar to an alarm circuit in the sense that is a matter of closing or opening a (electronic) switch.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

LouieAzcona

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »
sometimes its in a chip which has a specific function. its called an integrated circuit. meaning sensor and audio output are both included in one chip. the more socket pins (8 pin, 14pin etc) the more complex the function is. i would guess a ding dong bell would be similar to an alarm circuit in the sense that is a matter of closing or opening a (electronic) switch.

integrated circuit! thanks! is it possible to program my own integrated circuit, here at home?

Offline ailes

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »
simply design a circuit with an IC in it.. check the basics of it.. done that during college..
Cookies in a Jar
Music online.. Web development..

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »
integrated circuit! thanks! is it possible to program my own integrated circuit, here at home?

now exactly what do you have in mind? program what?  an daming diy kit sa raon.  simple alarms, sound detector, doorbell, intercom...
deeco in raon or in cubao...

gotta learn the basics though... reading a circuit, getting the parts, and using a soldering iron properly...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »
I still have the traditional ding dong where you have two metal plates similar to the xylophone and a hamer is controlled by the polarity of electro magnet from a push button switch on the door.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »
now exactly what do you have in mind? program what?  an daming diy kit sa raon.  simple alarms, sound detector, doorbell, intercom...
deeco in raon or in cubao...

gotta learn the basics though... reading a circuit, getting the parts, and using a soldering iron properly...

i want to customize my doorbell's sound. i want to transfer a file from my PC to the doorbell.  :-D

LouieAzcona

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
simply design a circuit with an IC in it.. check the basics of it.. done that during college..

Gaano kaya kahirap yun? Lalo na saaking walang background sa electronics. Though marunong ako magsolder, at magrepair ng guitar pickups. Sorry medyo makulit. magre-research din ako. gusto ko lang magka-idea sa kung ano ang papasukin ko.  :-D

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
I used to subscribe to Electronic Enthusiast. This is a magazine which features several  electronic circuits of fancy and practical stuffs. I dont know if they still publilsh this. Try checking out Alexan. THey used to be only located at Divisoria but I've seen malls have alexan branches (one at the car park of SM north).

I built several projects from this mag. Even made my own circuit board using masking tape and that acid. I made a electronic drum, guitar fuzz tone, distortion, phaser, etc.

I am sure they have tons of doorbell projects. A programmable tone like you mentioned ... try searching the net.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »
I used to subscribe to Electronic Enthusiast. This is a magazine which features several  electronic circuits of fancy and practical stuffs. I dont know if they still publilsh this. Try checking out Alexan. THey used to be only located at Divisoria but I've seen malls have alexan branches (one at the car park of SM north).

I built several projects from this mag. Even made my own circuit board using masking tape and that acid. I made a electronic drum, guitar fuzz tone, distortion, phaser, etc.

I am sure they have tons of doorbell projects. A programmable tone like you mentioned ... try searching the net.

electronic drums? so without a module? gusto ko niyan!
will do. thanks man!

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
electronic drums? so without a module? gusto ko niyan!
will do. thanks man!

Not a kit. It was one pad you can strike. And one tone generator or something... where you have knobs to tweak the LFO and other things of the oscilation. I throw it away already. But it was fun and educational building it.

I think I still have a few issues of the magazines with several circuit project details. I will try to scan on them and see if they have what you need on doorbells. I doubt tho coz the issues are old and programmable digital devices isnt the in yet during those days.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »
i want to customize my doorbell's sound. i want to transfer a file from my PC to the doorbell.  :-D

he he gusto mo lang pala maglipat ng ringtone ha.... insert big smiley here

siguro meron voice recorder kit.... just record it and then how you play it back becomes a matter of trigerring it...

LouieAzcona

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 12:21:42 AM »
he he gusto mo lang pala maglipat ng ringtone ha.... insert big smiley here

siguro meron voice recorder kit.... just record it and then how you play it back becomes a matter of trigerring it...

voice recorder kit? as in ung mga i-aassemble mo pa na nabibili sa DEECo?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 07:42:35 AM »
Depends if you can find a doorbell with a programmable eeprom that you can burn the samples into; then you have to find/create an eeprom burner pa (kinda easy if you have the right gear). Google is your best friend in this case. Radioshack used to have kits that can do what you want... is the R-shack in P. Tamo still existing? Anyone?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »
Actually Radioshack was operated by RJ. You will still find Rdioshack branded products in some of the RJ centers.

Cheers.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »
yup i know that.  rj snagged the distribution for Alesis but without the support people who would be in a position to sell and inform prospective customers. ayun. baka meron pang alesis producst languishing in the RJ's bodega of surplus radio shack parts and alesis products.  alam ko meron din Radio Shack sa Davao. sayang.  hard to find parts that you don't find a raon.  its a marketing mistake which could have been avoided.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 03:17:12 PM »
Depends if you can find a doorbell with a programmable eeprom that you can burn the samples into; then you have to find/create an eeprom burner pa (kinda easy if you have the right gear). Google is your best friend in this case. Radioshack used to have kits that can do what you want... is the R-shack in P. Tamo still existing? Anyone?

nice. but whats an eeprom?

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »
its also an i.c. but programmable.  the bios chip in a pc is an eeprom i.c.