hulika

Author Topic: KRK or GENELEC  (Read 5469 times)

reycantong

KRK or GENELEC
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »
To those of you who had experienced the

KRK vxt (http://www.krksys.com/product_vxt.php)

and GENELEC 8040a (http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/8040a/),

which one will you choose? Which one is better?

reycantong

Re: KRK or GENELEC
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
Actually parehong maganda kaya ang hirap pagpilian  :?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:27:41 AM »
To those of you who had experienced the

KRK vxt (http://www.krksys.com/product_vxt.php)

and GENELEC 8040a (http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/8040a/),

which one will you choose? Which one is better?

i've used both but answering your question depends on what material you are mixing and how your rooms are treated to get the most out of your monitors. there really isn't one "best" monitor - you get one that enables you to best translate your mixes to a variety of systems. the NS10s from Yamaha are not the most accurate monitors but getting mixes right on those make sure that your mixes can be played well on hi fi systems as well as boom boxes. asking what is the best monitor is like asking what the best guitar in the world is...it varies and very subjective.

ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

reycantong

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »

Thanks for sharing.

You are right. But let's take it this way: In your current setup (or current material or project) you are working on, which one will you choose?

I've used several monitors over the years (JBL Lsr, Yamaha Hs50, M-Audio Bx5a) and was able to deliver good mixes. I just want to, let's say, upgrade to one of these two great monitors. Genelecs are more expensive than Krks, but what other factors will want you to choose between the two?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:40:55 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

You are right. But let's take it this way: In your current setup (or current material or project) you are working on, which one will you choose?

I've used several monitors over the years (JBL Lsr, Yamaha Hs50, M-Audio Bx5a) and was able to deliver good mixes. I just want to, let's say, upgrade to one of these two great monitors. Genelecs are more expensive than Krks, but what other factors will want you to choose between the two?

in my current work - industrial and heavy rock, i would go for the Krks. I have a lot of experience behind Genelecs (and I have a pair in my own studio) and they are accurate but the new KrKs (especially the Expose series) have a nice focused bottom end that delivers well for more aggressive material, especially on analog based systems that use tape. I would say that the same type of sound can be found with the Mackie monitors which aren't the most accurate monitors but they sound darn good with heavy rock, hard rock mixes and getting them right on those speakers can tell you that they would sound quite as good on some kid's stereo. At the same time, Genelecs are nice well rounded monitors that can deliver well on a variety of musical genres...just make sure to know if the bottom end or top is lacking in some mixes so you can compensate accordingly. The genelecs might be nice but they aren't as suited to bass and kick heavy stuff like dance music, I've found, so whatch out for the positive aspects of a monitor as well as its shortcomings and you should be good to go. You would be hard pressed to go wrong with either one so it depends on preference and what sound you like so I'd advise to give em both a go.

Whatever your choice, listen to the monitors first with a set of songs that you've mixed in the past. Krk or Genelecs, you need to know what you need from the speakers and you need to be able to bridge what you do on the console and how the mix is going to come out on a pair of headphones, stereo speakers or a boom box. For every set of monitors I've bought, I've always used a reference set of songs and continue to do so before i work a project in a different commercial setting because it will tell me the properties of the monitor and how you can adjust my hand at mixing a set of tracks. Just don't fall into the pitfall of judging a pair of monitors based on a name because this doesn't mean anything in the end. I've mixed as much on $50K worth of mains as I have on Krks, Genelecs, JBLs, ADAMs and custom Urei's and all of them are different so trust your ears and listen with an open mind...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:20:43 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »
i'll go with the Genelecs because i think it is an all around speaker, meaning it can be used on a wider range of musical types or genre. One thing i noticed whenever you do your mixes with the Genelec is... whatever you hear on them is exactly what what will be heard on other speakers. The bass and the treble is not cut nor accentuated.
PS
they are durable too.. imagine accidentally (unit fell) turning the volume on a Mackie Big Knob to its maximum while playing a song, the speaker was able to withstand the abuse.  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline forerunnermusic

KRK or GENELEC
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »
if you have time, i invite you to watch this video by Dave Hetric, Director of Sales at KRK.  It will give you a good insight on the design innovations applied to the VXT line.  Please take note that the VXT is not a simple upgrade to the best selling V-Series but a new direction of a great line of studio monitors.

I hope it helps in your decision.
Music. Our Passion.  

The Music Source-Ali Mall, Cubao/ T: 4377798      SPL Marketing-Raon, Manila/ T: 735-5440      Hifi Lounge-Festival Mall/ T: 842-8133      One Stop Music-Royale Place Mall, Commonwealth Ave./ T: 9317570/ 3912141

Offline forerunnermusic

Why hit makers at Hit Factory choose KRK
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »

get their opinion:

NR=1
Music. Our Passion.  

The Music Source-Ali Mall, Cubao/ T: 4377798      SPL Marketing-Raon, Manila/ T: 735-5440      Hifi Lounge-Festival Mall/ T: 842-8133      One Stop Music-Royale Place Mall, Commonwealth Ave./ T: 9317570/ 3912141

reycantong

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 08:58:35 PM »
Now that's what I call "advice from the greats". Thank you so much Abyssinisanson, Baldo and Forerunnermusic for sharing your knowledge about these monitors. It shed some light on me (before I shed some money  :-D)

I'll visit TMS for the KRK. Sadly, no stocks of VXT as of now.

I'll also visit my friend Ditoy Aguila for the Genelec (he is selling his 8040a for 70k).

Offline forerunnermusic

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 10:30:38 PM »
hi Raycanton.  The VTX6 & VXT8 are in stock, but are not usually on display.

Model                Retail
VXT-4              15,995.00
VXT-6              21,995.00
VXT-8              29,995.00

ask for your net price from TMS
Music. Our Passion.  

reycantong

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »
hi Raycanton.  The VTX6 & VXT8 are in stock, but are not usually on display.

Model                Retail
VXT-4              15,995.00
VXT-6              21,995.00
VXT-8              29,995.00

ask for your net price from TMS

Thanks sir for this  info. Will try to call phin at TMS again.