hulika

Author Topic: Some FATAL TECHNICAL flaws in the new Journey Revelation CD  (Read 2258 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Just got the 2-disc Journey Revelation album (HEY I THOUGHT IT SHOULD HAVE A DVD TO MAKE IT TRIPLE DISC!  :cry: )  So it went up to my highest expectations, and while I reckon Arnel as the perfect fit for these old daddy rockers , I have a few rants about the album...

THE CLICK TRACKS BLED THROUGH 'FAITHFULLY' AND 'OPEN ARMS'!

This could have been caused by several things:

1.  Kevin Shirley forgot to have muted the overhead drum tracks completely during the intro piano parts.
2.  While tracking vocals, the click tracks should have been on while Arnel was tracking.
3.  #1 and #2
4.  (I doubt if this were the case.) They recorded a click track on analog tape alongside a loud track in the mix.  Multi-track machines often have issues with "bleed" from side-tracks.  It could have occurred that there was a click track placed beside a track that was boosted way up in the mix.
5.  It could have been possible that #1-4 could have been acceptable IF NOT FOR HYPER MEGA COMPRESSION in the mastering stage.
6.  The mastering engineer forgot to "de-click".

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Some FATAL TECHNICAL flaws in the new Journey Revelation CD
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:04:21 AM »

is it really audible tik tak tok tok ?  :?

havent heard the songs off that CD yet
This is a forum siggy.

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:37:50 AM »
More of a hihat ung guide metronome. Not really that tik tik tik tok. faint but definitly audible.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
sa likod ng cd usually me notation na kung me problema sa quality nung cd e pwede sila tawagan.. in this case SOLI dapat yung pera  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
is it really audible tik tak tok tok ?  :?

havent heard the songs off that CD yet

VERY AUDIBLE.

reycantong

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:50:20 PM »
well we all have our own opinions. but for me, i don't wanna mess with a kevin shirley (producer) and george marino (mastering) project. para kaseng sadya na iniwan dun yun e. great ears guys... di ko pansin yun at first. the entire album for me is cream as usual. mas maganda nga lang mix n master ng ARRIVAL cd nila for me, pero fresher nga lang itong REVELATION. sadly, UNIVERSAL didn't release the 2CD/1DVD package.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:33:31 AM »
well we all have our own opinions. but for me, i don't wanna mess with a kevin shirley (producer) and george marino (mastering) project. para kaseng sadya na iniwan dun yun e. great ears guys... di ko pansin yun at first. the entire album for me is cream as usual. mas maganda nga lang mix n master ng ARRIVAL cd nila for me, pero fresher nga lang itong REVELATION. sadly, UNIVERSAL didn't release the 2CD/1DVD package.

Dude, I think this was not a result of taste, but rather a result of beating the deadline.  From what I have heard, Arnel cut tracks just a few days after being hired in the band.  They shot the DVD on his 3rd gig.  Imagine if they recorded NOW. 

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
it's released here?...got mine sa US and it has the DVD...I thought available lang siya sa Walmart...

LouieAzcona

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:08:10 AM »
once nasa taxi ako... may pinatugtog na local na kanta. acoustic guitar lang chka vocals... narinig ko click. tok.tiktiktik. tok.tiktiktik. ambilis pa naman.

sabi ko sa girlfriend ko... naririnig mo un? "ang alin?" sabi niya. yung metronome. nung una di pa niya marinig... sabi ko... "yung tok.tiktiktik. tok.tiktiktik."
oonga no. "pano mo narinig un?!" sabi niya.  minsan sana hindi ko nalang natutuhan ung mga bagay na yan para hindi ko mapansin! haha! pumapangit ung kanta eh!

reycantong

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:00:50 PM »
it's released here?...got mine sa US and it has the DVD...I thought available lang siya sa Walmart...

maybe UNIVERSAL made some deals to make REVELATION available in the Philppines. UNIVERSAL is Arnel's local label here in the Phils.

Offline konfront

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
AWESOME! This fact alone can prove to make the CD's you got collectors items.  there was a similar snafu with pink loyd's DSOTM.  they misspelled the tape op's name for the first few pressings and this batch became the most sought after of this multi-jigantinum selling album.

(i'm not saying we should strive for mediocrity and sloppiness though) :-D

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
Samsmidi and I tried to analyze the bleed and we concluded that this was off the monitor of arnel's vocal track. The obvious hint was when the reverb was  boosted on certain part of the song, the hihat metronome tagged along the effects. Obviously the engineers cannot do anything about it to take it off unless arnel agrees to retake the songs. But I think the band was off to several gigs when the mixing was being done. Or was arnel here in the philippines during that time? hehehe I heared he was home a few months ago on vacation.

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:22:19 AM »
very audible. world class production.... or not.

deadlines i suppose had to be met for them to 'do away' with that.

pero astig parin si arnel. onteng diction improvement pa pero hataw nonetheless. im so proud!
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline konfront

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 07:06:31 PM »
patay yung nag engineer nun.  back to making coffee runs and cleaning the studio after the session. :cry:

LouieAzcona

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »
dinig nga... pero kapag hinanap mo lang. Kung sound trip ka lang naman eh, parang wala lang.

sa open arms... sa pagsabay ng piano, (plus super reverb) parang wala lang
sa faithfully, parang hihats lang.

IMHO, its no big deal. and it would not affect the company's sales. at hindi babalik sa pagtitimpla ng kape ang sound engineer.  8-)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:36:07 AM by LouieAzcona »