hulika

Author Topic: constant jitter in recorded guitar track in SonarLE  (Read 1044 times)

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
constant jitter in recorded guitar track in SonarLE
« on: July 29, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
hi experts,

help lng po...

playback of a recorded a guitar audio track in a SonarLE in WDM, has a constant chirping or jitter...very annoying...
i was wondering where did it came from..
but all the matter is, how can i get rid of it?

tnx for any of your advise, in advance
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: constant jitter in recorded guitar track in SonarLE
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:14:45 PM »
First off, WDM is not very good with Sonar or any software that prefers ASIO drivers. 

Second, clock jitter is an occurrence in digital signal processing wherein you have a master clock that does not have very high accuracy.  This may be due to static change issues in your processing.

Anyway, what noise do you hear?  It might be a case of buffer underrun.  Try higher buffer sizes.  Are you using Guitar software like NI GR3 or Amplitube?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »
First off, WDM is not very good with Sonar or any software that prefers ASIO drivers.

Not true. Sonar will happily run using WDM or Asio. The soundcard and it's drivers are more of the determining factor, ex., some soundcard manufacturers are more adept in coding for WDM than asio however this is less true now than a few years ago. 

Anyway, what noise do you hear?  It might be a case of buffer underrun.  Try higher buffer sizes.  Are you using Guitar software like NI GR3 or Amplitube?

I'm thinking inot1105 is experiencing clicks and pops probably caused by a bad hardware configuration, or a stressed system running at too low latencies than his system can allow. Sometimes, certain chipset combinations can cause clicks even if the cpu and ram are more than adequate; for ex., I was reading about someone having clicks/pops even though he was using a quadcore Q6600 with 4 gigs ram. Turns out his firewire chipset was Via while trying to run a Firewire 410.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:45:52 PM »
Thanks sirs skunkyfunk & KitC...

I've tried recording with ASIO in Sonar & Cubase,
but both gives very undistinguishable recorded track.

So, i settle with the WDM driver. since the recorded track was ok.
now, althroughout the track, i would hear a short blanking noise or...
at a regular sound output, it kinda reduce the sound with a little noise, but doesn't affect the waveform.
its there at a constant interval.

i'm not using ang guitar sw or plugins, since it doesn't work in my sonar to start with.

just...

guitar->zoom707->emu0404->ibm t41 with SonarLE

i will try the higher buffer size.

thanks again sirs
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:44:43 PM »
I have to agree with kitC especially when you mentioned you were using an EMU product and I know KitC is a well experienced EMU user.

I had the same problem with my EMU 1820m before. Its that short dead sound while monitoring altho the waveform print doesnt show this dead sound (or sometimes faint). It turns out my sync card was having trouble with certain hardware on the system (for which I still have to figure out what chipset incompatibility it really is). I took out the sync card as I dont use to many hardware yet. But when I get smart enough to understand the hardware conflict then I will put it back as I will definitely need it in the future.

Its a common knowledge that audio hardwares gets several issues with other hardwares.. some sort of incompatibilites although most are not too obvious or devastating as others. Probably it is because there are hundreds or thousands of brands using different systems in building their machines and it would be almost impossible for developers of audio hardwares in testing them to almost all of these.

The digital audio world has yet to perfect its performance. But so far the imperfections are within tolerable ratings.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:49:28 PM by nolit »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »
now, althroughout the track, i would hear a short blanking noise or...
at a regular sound output, it kinda reduce the sound with a little noise, but doesn't affect the waveform.

You are using the 0404 USB, right? If the interval is fairlly regular, I'm thinking that your IBM is performing some power saving measures to the usb ports - one of the reasons why we suggest turning off all power saving features. You can do a 'blanket' approach by turning off all power saving in Control Panel, or you can go into the usb hub's properties and individually turn off power saving in the hub's power management.

Another reason may be because of IRQ sharing between the usb hubs and the hard disk, but this usually manifests itself as clicks. Still, it helps to investigate although there is no definitive solution except to try out different usb ports on your pc. Lastly, when experiencing playback problems, you can adjust the playback buffers in Sonar's Options > Audio > Advanced, use multiples of 128 kb to begin with.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »
thanks sirs nolit & KitC.

i'll do these checks...i'll just inform you for any result.

thanks again so much.

good day