hulika

Author Topic: Need help in finding a USB interface..  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Need help in finding a USB interface..
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:37:12 PM »
Hi guys.

I'm looking around for cheap USB interfaces that could serve my purpose.

I have no plans of going pro-level in terms of recording, but I just want to be able to record my takes over guitar backing tracks & post 'em on soundclick. :-)
I'm probably not anal over sound quality because I barely have recording experience - so I guess I just want to hear good tone on my recordings.

If it makes any difference, this is what I already have:
- an amp with a 'headphone out' jack
- Toshiba laptop (A200 series IIRC) with the ff. specs (again, if it matters):
         - Intel Core2 Duo CPU (1.73 GHz)
         - 2 GB RAM
         - 32-bit OS (Vista)
         - Riffworks T4 recording software

I've seen that Behringer makes some affordable USB interfaces, but they all seem to have bad reviews.

Thanks in advance. :-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:45:59 PM by Red_Strat »

Offline karlo

Re: Need help in finding a USB interface..
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:40:38 AM »
Someone's selling a cheap-ish M-Audio USB fast track on the pro audio classifieds, you might want to look at that. Don't know about the quality if its preamps but it should be enough for your purposes. The m-audio units seem to have a reputation for being too quiet, but I can't verify that for a fact

Or you might consider getting that little Behringer mixer with the UCA soundcard also advertised in the classifieds. That's a pretty cheap solution. You can go into the mixer and then run the tape outs into the soundcard

Of course, if you want to capture good tone like you said, there are many other things to consider.. like if you'll want to mic your amp or plug in direct, or if you'll need better preamps, maybe a direct box etc etc
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:58:06 AM »
The M-Audio Jamlab looks promising..
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/JamLab.html

Sa tingin nyo? :-)

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:50 AM »
For this, I can suggest the MBox 2 Family. You can choose between the MBox 2 Mini or a full blown MBox 2. They are both USB interfaces and can be purchased from JB music  and their dealers.

included in each package is the Pro Tools software and Ignition pack bundle plus additional plug ins including Amplitube for guitars.

Cheers.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion guys.. but those are a little out of my budget. I'm trying to look for interfaces below $80 as much as possible. :|

The Line 6 Toneport GX seems to be the best choice so far... tell me what you think:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/reviews?base_pid=241406&page=1&sc=date&so=desc

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »
I've owned them both, so I could say to you that the toneport gx sounds better than the jamlab, in terms of amp and effects modelling.  But the jamlab is more portable, you could easily carry it in your pocket.  Both are excellent choices for your objectives.  No need for those bulky interfaces if you just wanna plug and lay down guitar tracks.  Hope this helps.   :-)
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 12:00:47 PM »
That helped a lot bro. I have no problem with compatibility.. I'm not on the move anyway. :lol:

You've got PM.

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
wink wink, M-Audio Black Box. good enough for home use. plus you can gig with it if you get foot switches.

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,110254.0.html

Offline forerunnermusic

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 11:00:44 PM »

Consider the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol.  These have gotten good reviews and attention.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=ak1dj&ftu=a273e4a4ebeac54

call the outlets to get a deal.

The Music Source
Tel:                   376-4598; 415-0366
Address:           1021 EDSA, Veterans Village, Munoz QC
Email:               tms.edsa@yahoo.com; tms.edsa@gmail.com

Hifi Lounge
Tel:                   842-8133
Address:           U4059 Festival Supermall, Filinvest Corporate City, Muntinlupa
Email:               allan.hifilounge@gmail.com

SPL Marketing
Tel:                   735-5440
Address:           641 G. Puyat Street, Raon
Email:               spl.manila@gmail.com
Music. Our Passion.  

The Music Source-Ali Mall, Cubao/ T: 4377798      SPL Marketing-Raon, Manila/ T: 735-5440      Hifi Lounge-Festival Mall/ T: 842-8133      One Stop Music-Royale Place Mall, Commonwealth Ave./ T: 9317570/ 3912141

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »
Since you are a guitarist and following your concept of a home studio, I would suggest the toneport GX as the best that will fit you.

Lots of reviews on the net about this. Even on youtube.  Really optimized for guitarist. Although its only one(mono) input, but if you will not be using your foot pedals (with stereo outs) and instead use the gearbox which has tons of stuff for guitarist, you will definitely get better results than any other interface. Most interface are for general purpose and will leave it up to the user to employ outboard effects or additional softwares dedicated for guitarists.

I used to have a GX unit which I bought at yamaha for P3995. According to the sales person it was the last unit in manila since they actually searched all branches where it is still available. Hopefully there is a new stock.

BTW, I already sold my GX to a user here. I regret selling it but I needed money at that time. Its hard to let go with such a good product.

Just my opinion.... I dont want to sound promoting.

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »

once you get bit by the recording bug, there is no turning back  :-D :-D :-D

uupgrade ka lng ng uupgrade  :-D :-D
This is a forum siggy.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »
Since you are a guitarist and following your concept of a home studio, I would suggest the toneport GX as the best that will fit you.

Lots of reviews on the net about this. Even on youtube.  Really optimized for guitarist. Although its only one(mono) input, but if you will not be using your foot pedals (with stereo outs) and instead use the gearbox which has tons of stuff for guitarist, you will definitely get better results than any other interface. Most interface are for general purpose and will leave it up to the user to employ outboard effects or additional softwares dedicated for guitarists.

I used to have a GX unit which I bought at yamaha for P3995. According to the sales person it was the last unit in manila since they actually searched all branches where it is still available. Hopefully there is a new stock.

BTW, I already sold my GX to a user here. I regret selling it but I needed money at that time. Its hard to let go with such a good product.

Very helpful input bro.. :wink:
I know someone from Yupangco, I'll try to ask him kung may stock pa.

I think I've found my choice already.

I'm drawn to it because it's really affordable & reliable at the same. Plus, I can monitor the processed signal, not the dry one - unlike the Behringer! :-)

If I get lucky, maybe a GX will turn up fo sale in the forums!

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 03:47:49 PM »
once you get bit by the recording bug, there is no turning back  :-D :-D :-D

uupgrade ka lng ng uupgrade  :-D :-D

This is true.. but not always. Especially to some people who have friends or bandmates with their own setup. So guitarists will only need the thing for guitarist.

But I think when the thread author gets the bug, he will have much better idea of what to upgrade since he already have experience. It is wise to start on the affordable ones... especially the ones fit to what you need at the moment.

Oh by the way, I didnt notice you were running on vista. Make sure to check on the line6 website. or on any other website of the interface you want to buy. There are other interfaces that dont support vista.... yet.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:52:02 PM by nolit »

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
Nolit, they still have GX stocks.. same price. But they have a sale on Oct. 22! :wink:

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
get a used pod.  ang dami mo nang amp, ang dami mo pang epeks.  that's what i use for any scorin raket which needs rakenrol geetar.

there's a pod xt in the classifieds.  8k na lang.
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline noobie-doobie

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 01:52:38 AM »

ako bumili nito hehe the best toneport gx kung plug and play lang at simpleng recording lang hanap mo..