hulika

Author Topic: Blue Rats in another JAM4JORIC Oct. 23, Magnet High Street  (Read 600 times)

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
Blue Rats in another JAM4JORIC Oct. 23, Magnet High Street
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
Magnet at Bonifacio High Street on October 23.  The Blue Rats will once again be part of a benefit show for our good friend, Deltaslim, who is still recovering from his recent open heart surgery.  Six bands are slated to do a 45 minute set each (Blue Jean Junkies, The Rats, Hilera, Snakecharmer, Southern Grass and Powertones) and all proceeds will go directly to help pay Joric's medical bills (which is no joke, as you may have read in previous Philmusic threads).

Met Joric for the first time when the Soulbenders played at Magnet Katipunan with the Rats (I was still with Overdrive then).  I was already impressed with his passion for the blues, playing songs I never heard before as a newbie in the blues genre. He was particularly impressive with his slide guitar, which he played with so much flair, aplomb and excitement.

Working Stiff bassist John Flores eventually joined him with Soulbenders and I finally had the chance to jam with him a couple of times at Backdoor Blues Cafe.  He was so gracious and accomodating considering the fact that I was a neophyte with his type of music.  He gave up his guitar post and ask me to play instead while he concentrated on the vocals.  That was when I had the chance to play with Chester the Lickmiester and Ronnie the Kid on harmonica.

The blues, as I have learned, is not as easy as you may think it is.  It is more than the usual I-IV-V progression which people usually typecast it to be, nor is it just music for girls to do a burlesque act to.  It is in its simplicity where your imagination is challenged - making sure you do something fresh and innovative with each and every song.  And playing the blues IS fun. Even the most heartfelt tearjerker of them blues songs would still elicit smiles from the players and the audience.

And yes. The passion.  I felt all my pent up emotions of heartbreak and hatred all gushing out as if some floodgate was suddenly opened.  Likewise, I couldn't help but throw in my usual humor and famous sarcasm into few licks once every so often.

Imagine my surprise when they asked me to join the Soulbenders one time and play the whole night with Ruben, Snakecharmer's guitar player in their solo show at magnet.  I really enjoyed the evening, witnessed by honorable guests, Leo Guzman, Elwyn aka Backdoor Blues man, and Veggie Joe with their friends.

Somehow, I owe Joric a lot in opening my eyes to the blues.  He played a big part in expanding my musical chops which also gave me the balls to play with the Blue Rats (it's easy thing playing alongside Cowboy Santos, Joey Puyat, and Andy Locsin, I'm telling you.). But Joric showed me that you could play the blues as long as you got the heart, the honesty, and the humor.

After that memorable Magnet show, everybody found out, much to everyone's surprise, about Joric's immediate need to go under the knife.  More than the usual words of comfort and the prayers, his brothers in the blues music scene immediately set out the first Jam4Joric benefit at the Hobbit House.  More benefits followed courtesy of other friends.  But I distinctly remember the first one because two days before being admitted to the hospital, Joric still managed to attend the Hobbit affair.

Right now, Delta slim is still recuperating - perhaps a little longer than usual due to certain complications he had during post op.  But the guy's okay - last heard he's at home resting and is now itchin' to play again.  Unfortunately, he needs more time to get back in shape and avoid complications so we might have to wait a little longer.

As my small contribution to the man, I am writing this to my fellow Philmusic friends, asking for your support to help this ailing blues brother of ours.  Again, I am more than willing to share my time and whatever talent I can give in order to generate some more funds for the guy.  Please help me and Joric by showing your support and joining us next Thursday.

Oh, by the way, friends, do drop by early.  Unlike before, the Rats will play first that evening.