hulika

Author Topic: Is anyone interested in a foreign blast beat/metal drum clinician?  (Read 4088 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
People like Derek Roddy, Marco Pitruzella, George Kollias, Tim Yeung, etc?  I dunno how good they are at conducting clinics but how many folks will attend?  Para maiba naman...

Offline CDodrummer

Re: Is anyone interested in a foreign blast beat/metal drum clinician?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »
Yanic Bercier please :lol:
Duct tape has a light and darker side. Like the Force, it holds the world together

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »
gene hoglan para old school  :evil:

Offline 9_spiral

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
I'm dreaming to meet Romain Goulon in the future :-)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
I'm dreaming to meet Romain Goulon in the future :-)

Hehehe.  Marco MInneman was here too.  Necrophagist drummers ey...

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »
yeah +1 for gene hoglan! even though i like richard christy's drumming on death better. and oh siguro lahat nang pangalang nabanggit sa thread na to tataob kay john longstreth of origin!!! tapos na ang usapan. sheeeeeet.

but yeah, siguro interesting yang 2 na yan, along w/ george kollias and derek roddy.

that's it. di na ko interested sa iba (in the speedier side of metal) kasi yung iba may pagka one-dimensional lang.

sayang di uso doom/stoner metal dito. drummers ng solitude aeturnus pati candlemass galing din.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:52:07 PM by metalmuhlisha »
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »
pwede din ba si Aquiles Priester at Chris Pennie? :-)

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »
pwede din ba si Aquiles Priester at Chris Pennie? :-)
si aquiles magaling pero prog siya and i think yung ni-rerefer ng thread na to yung mga metal drummers in the extreme metal category. pero yun magaling si priester, angra's pretty "meh" for me but they're ok.

chris pennie is !@#$ing crazy. kaso may na-dl akong drum clinic niya sa demonoid dati, it was pretty uninformative, but entertaining and somewhat inspirational. kasi ang ginawa niya dun nag bigay lang ng time signature ng polyrhythms tas gagawa siya ng example nun. tapos playalong song. yun lang. pero luma narin kasi yun, dillinger days pa niya. who knows if he's a better clinician now. but i doubt it.

pansin ko lang puro mapex endorsers yan ah. *wink wink* hehehe.

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »
speaking of derek roddy, here's a video of him at namm 2009:

he's long surpassed the "just a metal drummer" tag imho.

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 04:52:06 AM »
si aquiles magaling pero prog siya and i think yung ni-rerefer ng thread na to yung mga metal drummers in the extreme metal category. pero yun magaling si priester, angra's pretty "meh" for me but they're ok.

chris pennie is !@#$ing crazy. kaso may na-dl akong drum clinic niya sa demonoid dati, it was pretty uninformative, but entertaining and somewhat inspirational. kasi ang ginawa niya dun nag bigay lang ng time signature ng polyrhythms tas gagawa siya ng example nun. tapos playalong song. yun lang. pero luma narin kasi yun, dillinger days pa niya. who knows if he's a better clinician now. but i doubt it.

pansin ko lang puro mapex endorsers yan ah. *wink wink* hehehe.

oo nga medyo prog si aquilles. naalala ko lang kasi ung footwork nya eh tingin ko bagay sa metal :-)

si chris pennie, oo nga, mukang masyadong technical.. nagkataon lang na mapex endorsee. he hehe..

si tomas haake pala hindi ko nailagay kanina..

Offline woodstockintheattic

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:54 AM »
+ 1 for The Atomic Clock.  :-) He's experienced in conducting clinics already so it shouldn't be a problem for him. There are a number of excellent drummers in the extreme music scene but we can't be sure how good they'll turn out as clinicians. Some may be informative while others might just be wanking around 90% of the time.
Go beyond what has already been written.

www.myspace.com/barbaromusika

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
+ 1 for The Atomic Clock.  :-) He's experienced in conducting clinics already so it shouldn't be a problem for him. There are a number of excellent drummers in the extreme music scene but we can't be sure how good they'll turn out as clinicians. Some may be informative while others might just be wanking around 90% of the time.

exactly. he's the godfather of the entire extreme drumming thing (time does not heal!), he's an experienced clinician, he's still got some of the fastest feet and definitely has the best clock of anyone in the genre (hence the monicker).

AND i prefer his drumming to any of the other "extreme" guys (including richard christy. the sound of perseverence had too many cutesy triplets that i could have done without). he never wanks around just for the sake of wanking around. every fill/lick has a purpose, and i love how he takes a fill/lick he used earlier in the song, then uses a variation of it that is twice as hard later in the song. there's a sense of structure and progression to his drumming that most extreme drummers going 200kph all the time never achieve.

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »
i'll go!

i watched those George Kollias (nile) stuff, and i like his views and perceptions.

i like those band drummers more than those drum solo ppl.

i really dont like drum solos.

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:19 PM »
exactly. he's the godfather of the entire extreme drumming thing (time does not heal!), he's an experienced clinician, he's still got some of the fastest feet and definitely has the best clock of anyone in the genre (hence the monicker).

AND i prefer his drumming to any of the other "extreme" guys (including richard christy. the sound of perseverence had too many cutesy triplets that i could have done without). he never wanks around just for the sake of wanking around. every fill/lick has a purpose, and i love how he takes a fill/lick he used earlier in the song, then uses a variation of it that is twice as hard later in the song. there's a sense of structure and progression to his drumming that most extreme drummers going 200kph all the time never achieve.
on the subject of being the best time-keeper, i'd definitely consider putting paul bostaph in that list. i hated his stint in slayer because he removed that raw, sloppy, open feel of dave lombardo's and replaced it with his spot-on precision. but now i like him because of his work w/ testament. he's a perfect fit for the band. i think it's his best work yet; the song "the evil has landed" is a modern thrash classic. their last album was one of the best of 2008.

OT: i think that was the point of death's last album though, wanking around like progsters (evident in chuck schuldiner's riffs, and i think richard christy was just following the riffs, like in prog). but yeah there's a reason why most people prefer death's earlier albums, and a some people the last album. although i think we can all agree that death's legacy is influential to any metal musician, and metal in general.

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:06 AM »
Romain Goulon, Derek Roddy, George Kollias... Kahit isa lang jan sa mga yan masaya na ko. :-D

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 06:41:09 AM »
on the subject of being the best time-keeper, i'd definitely consider putting paul bostaph in that list. i hated his stint in slayer because he removed that raw, sloppy, open feel of dave lombardo's and replaced it with his spot-on precision. but now i like him because of his work w/ testament. he's a perfect fit for the band. i think it's his best work yet; the song "the evil has landed" is a modern thrash classic. their last album was one of the best of 2008.

OT: i think that was the point of death's last album though, wanking around like progsters (evident in chuck schuldiner's riffs, and i think richard christy was just following the riffs, like in prog). but yeah there's a reason why most people prefer death's earlier albums, and a some people the last album. although i think we can all agree that death's legacy is influential to any metal musician, and metal in general.

individual thought patterns was more wanky than sound of perseverance (except maybe the tracks "scavenger of human sorrow" and "flesh and the power it holds"), but hoglan kept it grounded. anyway i think symbolic (also with hoglan) was their best record. just classic after classic on that one.

as for bostaph and lombardo, my favorite testament album is actually the gathering, with lombardo. testament never sounded as good before or since that album.

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 03:42:05 AM »
any of the FF:
D., GK, Longstreth

i asked GK before @ blastology regarding kung may possibility siya na mag drum clinic dito, there's a possibility naman suggest raw sa music stores here na sponsor niya rin.

Perfect Pitch dahil sa sabian, Firth kaso ang mga sabian cymbals ni GK walang available dito, stage hats lang ata, aax splashes, some chinas.

im not sure but feeling ko lang to ha, GK will be a pearl endorser na ata..

he removed gabriel drums from his sponsored list eh
same day he went from remo to evans
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
any of the FF:
D., GK, Longstreth

i asked GK before @ blastology regarding kung may possibility siya na mag drum clinic dito, there's a possibility naman suggest raw sa music stores here na sponsor niya rin.

Perfect Pitch dahil sa sabian, Firth kaso ang mga sabian cymbals ni GK walang available dito, stage hats lang ata, aax splashes, some chinas.

im not sure but feeling ko lang to ha, GK will be a pearl endorser na ata..

he removed gabriel drums from his sponsored list eh
same day he went from remo to evans
last time i checked his site (last week?), it had the pearl logo in it. guess that confirms it.

OT: willing to sell your george kollias dvd? ayoko magpaship dito malamang mahal at matagal e. :D

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
hahaha priceless etong dvd!  8-)
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline andreiandrei

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
hahaha priceless etong dvd!  8-)

pahiram na lang ako..  :-D