hulika

Author Topic: Is there an amp switcher that can do this?  (Read 900 times)

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
Is there an amp switcher that can do this?
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Switch between two amps and their effects loops
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:01:17 PM by brandey »

Offline john.doesnt

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Is there an amp switcher that can do this?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »
Your setup looks interesting.  What exactly do you have in mind that the switch will do?  How many switch states (positions) are you thinking of?
Piracy is not allowed here...

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:42:48 AM »
I need an A/B box that with only one switch can a/b between 2 amps while a/b-ing their effects loops  so I can use one pedalboard for both amps. Please help :?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:15:41 AM »
the GCX or RG-16 should be able to do it by putting both loops into separate "loop" routes in the switcher unit. you will also be able to daisy chain 2 or more units and control them with a ground control pro or a similar unit from CAE. these routes will be programable so it should make tap dancing live less of a concern. it does break down live though, you'll have a hell of a time trouble shooting..believe me:)

ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline john.doesnt

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »
The concept sounds fairly simple but constructing it can be quite daunting for a beginner (I'm assuming that you know very little about electronics).  If I'm not mistaken, your requirement is a switch system with two (2) states, A or B, that will connect amplifier peripherals (guitar & effects) to either switch state simultaneously.  You can do it with a 3PDT switch or a 4PDT (difficult to find) where you can include LED switch state indicator.  If you're on a tight budget, you can even use a 2-position rotary switch but you would have to bend down to switch states.  I can draw up a schematic diagram for you but I don't know how to use CAD.  I'm also quite busy at the moment and I'm here just to follow up on this thread.  Why don't you ask someone to make the custom switch for you.  This is a very easy project. 

Or we can expand your idea so that you can choose which input preamp of your amplifiers to use, return to your effects and have the option to send the output to the either amplifier.  This will require 2 DPDT switches, which is actually a lot cheaper than using one 3PDT switch.  Any custom pedal maker can make this for you. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:04:13 AM by john.doesnt »
Piracy is not allowed here...

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
The concept sounds fairly simple but constructing it can be quite daunting for a beginner (I'm assuming that you know very little about electronics).  If I'm not mistaken, your requirement is a switch system with two (2) states, A or B, that will connect amplifier peripherals (guitar & effects) to either switch state simultaneously.  You can do it with a 3PDT switch or a 4PDT (difficult to find) where you can include LED switch state indicator.  If you're on a tight budget, you can even use a 2-position rotary switch but you would have to bend down to switch states.  I can draw up a schematic diagram for you but I don't know how to use CAD.  I'm also quite busy at the moment and I'm here just to follow up on this thread.  Why don't you ask someone to make the custom switch for you.  This is a very easy project. 

Or we can expand your idea so that you can choose which input preamp of your amplifiers to use, return to your effects and have the option to send the output to the either amplifier.  This will require 2 DPDT switches, which is actually a lot cheaper than using one 3PDT switch.  Any custom pedal maker can make this for you. 

I actually built an amp a/b box before using a dpdt switch. its quite easy. I just can't figure out how to make an effects loop a/b box coz there are more cables to hook up. I have an extra dpdt. Hope someone can post a diagram for an a/b switch for two amp fx loops. thanks

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:17:51 AM »
4pdt at small bear. shoot them an email or give them a call. they ship worldwide.

edit: look for mahavishnu and ej_basses. they do custom work. they're very accomodating. extremely talented too. but re the 4pdt, best you get a lot to make sure. sell what you have left. to me.  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:19:35 AM by turiguiliano »
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects