hulika

Author Topic: tips on mastering guitar playing  (Read 5014 times)

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
tips on mastering guitar playing
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:38:45 PM »
any tips para maging kasing lupit nyo ako mag gitara?

salamat mga master:)

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:03:13 PM »
si steve vai ata or si joe sat yung nag aaral pa lang mag master mag gitara, pati daw sa banyo saka sa pagkain nag mamaster daw sya nang mga scales, (nabasa ko lang sa isang guitar magazine)
Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »
...it takes a lot of discipline, patience, hardwork, and most of all PASSION. :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 09:03:39 AM »
whew....ano scale ba pinaka maganda arawarawin major/minor, g,c...? o basta jam nalang?

Offline pjrodz

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:05:16 AM »
Quote from: markthevirtuoso
...it takes a lot of discipline, patience, hardwork, and most of all PASSION. :D

sir, i've been playing for quite some time na din...pero up to now hindi ko pa din matugtog ng maayus ang mga songs nila eric johnson, steve vai at joe sat. aside from the things you said...meron bang website or anything na magtuturo tlaga ng mga techniques? or do i still need to get a guitar teacher pa? hehe thanks! :)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
Quote from: meandmygun
whew....ano scale ba pinaka maganda arawarawin major/minor, g,c...? o basta jam nalang?

ear training
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »
While practicing scales,techniques,speed,vibrato blah blah blah make sure that you will always include ACCURACY.....mas masarap pakinggan kahit simple lang playing mo pag malinis.

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 11:33:29 AM »
+1 lykenhowl.. sabi nga ni troy stetina sa lessons nya..work your way up to speed and make sure you play the licks evenly and cleanly.

ako pang warm up ko.. scale contours. listen to alot of music and watch other players. but of course pinaghihirapan talaga ang pagiging gitarista.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 11:46:17 AM »
Quote from: titser_marco

ear training

+1 :D

..you can study thousands of scale pero if you can't hear what's happening and can't make 'em happen, you ain't making music at all. :D

...music has to happen in the ear first. :D

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 12:08:37 PM »
I am fortunate enough to have been blessed with good ears (kahit papaano) even before i learned all those technical stuffs etc.

....Before, i used to play along with my favortie songs and tried to improvise along with it without even knowing the name of the scale. But the thing there is that i was making my scale happen and fit into the song just by using my ears. later on, still without having technical knowledge then, i tried to understand the logic and the sonic characteristics of the fretboard on my own. I had to use my ears very well since i can't read notations (and really hated tabs) during those times.

I then wanted a li'l more milleage. So i stepped into the technical world. I found out what i've been doing was right all along the way (i was on the right track hehe) . Those stuffs helped me how to understand them more. :D

..you really don't need technical stuffs that much imho (unless you really want some  :D ). Although these stuffs will really help you understand music and make 'em happpen, still the foundation is still in our EARS. remember, MUSIC is hearing art. :D

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 12:12:21 PM »

ear training

..you can study thousands of scale pero if you can't hear what's happening and can't make 'em happen, you ain't making music at all. :D

may mga taong tonedef na habang buhay....... still they make an excellent guitarist though.....
Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »
dati hindi ko rin alam kung ano ang scale i remember dati jamming dun sa isang kanta ng yano yung "senti" 2 lang chords nun A-D-A-D lang basta ginawa ko konek konek ko lang yung mga chords tapos nakabuo na ko ng mga magandang melody.di ko naman alam ginawa ko nun. basta paulit ulit lang... then i wanted really to learn when i bought my very first lesson (xerox copy) monster lead guitar scales.. which still im trying to learn until now!

sabi ko nga listen to alot of music kasi dun mabubuksan ang iyong musical mind. along the way, madedevelop mo yung style mo.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 01:27:23 PM »

ear training

+ infinity
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 01:44:43 PM »
Quote from: pinkybrief

ear training

may mga taong tonedef na habang buhay....... still they make an excellent guitarist though.....

True. Unfortunately, they're the only fortunate ones.
:(

...or in some instances they could be excellent guitar players but not good musicians.heheh :D

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 04:19:28 PM »
Next sa ear training syempre yung ear-to-hand coordination.  Sabi ni Sting dati nung tinanong siya kung bakit si Dominic Miller ang gitarista niya, as musically inclined as he is, his talent ends in his wrists.  Hirap daw siya mag-gitara.

Magaling na exercise yung i-hum mo yung melody tapos try mo gayahin sa gitara.  

Ako walang pag-asa...  Kahit kaya kong tugtugin yung hina-hum ko, hindi ako makagawa ng magandang humming licks!   :(

Offline frosty_fingerz

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:57 PM »
Quote from: greasykid
Next sa ear training syempre yung ear-to-hand coordination.  Sabi ni Sting dati nung tinanong siya kung bakit si Dominic Miller ang gitarista niya, as musically inclined as he is, his talent ends in his wrists.  Hirap daw siya mag-gitara.

Magaling na exercise yung i-hum mo yung melody tapos try mo gayahin sa gitara.  

Ako walang pag-asa...  Kahit kaya kong tugtugin yung hina-hum ko, hindi ako makagawa ng magandang humming licks!   :(

+1 :D. I still need to ask our lead guitarist/bassist what key we're playing in so i can do the appropriate solo in key. iMHO, the best scake you can possibly get, is the minor pentatonic. then learn the major one, then you'll be kicking ass ASAP. i'm a true devotee in this scale. and even up to now, doing solos in the minor pentatonic, i can still have a chance with those damned shredders (though one can shred with this scale, just have REALLY fast fingers).

I agree with everyone else that ACCURACY is the most important thing in any guitarists arsenal. I used to do shreds however, my fingers couldnt keep up and i made a lot of muted sounds. so i sucked before. i did that in front of a lot of people pa..so iwas really embarrased and promised myself to practice more. SPEED will come naturally as you practice.like weight training, at first you'll die of exhaustion, but after a while, it gets easier. Then up to the point where its just a play thing to you then you go and look for other harder stuff. This is like learning guitar. i used to practice round 3-5 hours a day. i slowly improved, and my fingers began to get faster, and faster, and faster.

oh, don't forget. the true sign of a guitarist is not how technical or how fast he can get his guitar to go, its how he/she makes it sing, how they make it an outlet of their emotions. let your emotions go. let your guitar speak your mind/heart.

ang haba. hahaha. sorry. i just love my guitar so damn much.
"Nolite te bastardes carborondorum"

I live my life between Lion Shots and Chasers™

Offline vinokulafu

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 10:48:27 PM »
bro distance equals speed ika nga ni malmsteen gawin to pagnappraktis ka
ng speed, distance ng fingertips mo sa strings at ung distance din ng pick,
tapos yung paicking mo dapat hindi lumalaban sa strings, once na lumaban sa ung picking mo against the string sabit ka na.

Finger tips gamitin mo saka pakinggan at pakiramdaman mo maigi ung tunog ng  bawat nota.

Kailangan relax lang feel ang kailangan hindi power sa fingers

saka parati ka nood ng mga great guitarplayers like joe sat steve vai, malmstee, petrucci, greg how, paul gilbert etc para may guide ka.
at a lot of research
ako tuloy pa rin sa research
agree ako sa lahat ng  sinabi nila d2 mahalaga ung ear training at musicality.

Offline frzrsnatch

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 02:19:35 AM »
practice, practice, practice! and invest on a metronome.

also check out Steve Vai's 30 hour guitar workout.

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 12:42:52 PM »
mga pare ang dami nyo alam! salamat si mga tips ....coordination of mind, ears, fingers; right distance, right picking=accuracy

..Loooooots of practice...

accuracy follows speed...
sige babasahin ko palagi mga input nyo!

ang dami diko matandaan lahat....

les play music!

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 08:43:05 PM »
Passion - dito ko nabubuhay eh.

And when learning something new (song, solo, etc.), I don't rush it. I take things step by step. I don't move on to the next part unless I think I can play it cleanly. Cleanly as in swabeng swabe sa tenga.
That's why idol na idol ko si Santana. His notes are really clear.  :D

Offline red_hot

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: tips on mastering guitar playing
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »

ngayon ko lang nabasa toh heheeh well tama ka dyan....
other than that minsan kala natin ang bilis na natin when it comes to
scale pero question # pasok ba sa tempo o may tempo ba?, Malinis ba ? basta best talaga basic muna then kung tamad mag basa ng pyesa watch youtube hehehe swete ng mga player ngayon mas nanapapabilis ang lecture hehehe
kami nung una ang hirap una wlang budget hehehe, wla namang net and gear lang mostly nun eh distortion, amp and guitar lang hehehe as if ang tagal na panahon na hhahahahaa
God Of Sin

"Evolution of Dime"   Mic Foam For Sale http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,227373.0.html