hulika

Author Topic: Does the length of your guitar cable affect your tone?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline ralph123

• Netizen Level
Does the length of your guitar cable affect your tone?
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
I have the same cables, 3m and 9m strandtz cable with amphenol jacks.
Whenever i use the 3m cable im getting a good tone, has more treble i should say,
then whenever i use my 9m cable it's different, tone was not that good and it has more bass.

Do you think i have a problem with my cable? (Because both of them i've been using it for a year) OR ganusn lang tlga?

paki sagot naman po ng tanong ko ng maayos thanks! :D

Offline kasoy777

• Veteran Member
Re: Does the length of your guitar cable affect your tone?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
malaki effect ng type and length ng cable sa experience ko. kung di mo naman kailangan ng mahabang cable mas maigsi mas maganda. pero sa mga active pickups di masyado mapapansin kahit siguro wireless, pero di pa ko nakatry ng wireless. nabasa ko lang.  :-D
succesful transactions;
badbach66,ranjin, deremof,toybitz,diancarlo,coffee,grindcoresicondemned,tranquil,arie,misery,yourguy,bgarcia,upfront,nylon,nrm90,franzdean,brianlp,chiemartz,
randrzr,wholesaler

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
Yes, the length of cable affect your tone. AFAIK, you should always use cables not more than 5m (total length from the amp input).
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »
I have the same cables, 3m and 9m strandtz cable with amphenol jacks.
Whenever i use the 3m cable im getting a good tone, has more treble i should say,
then whenever i use my 9m cable it's different, tone was not that good and it has more bass.

Do you think i have a problem with my cable? (Because both of them i've been using it for a year) OR ganusn lang tlga?

paki sagot naman po ng tanong ko ng maayos thanks! :D

It's because of capacitance. A longer cable will have more capacitance (per foot) than a shorter cable. With this, more high frequencies are filtered out, thus your observation.  :-)

It's no problem actually. It just depends on which one works for you.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
Yes it does. Cable length is jsut one part of the equation, just like capacitance. The conductors used and construction contribute to the tone as well.

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Longer = more capacitance. More "loss of highs". Do experiment to see what works good for you in terms of tone & length.

This can be rectified via the use of a line driver (buffer) :)

Offline ralph123

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
i see thanks for all the replies. i was just thinking of buying a new one, kala ko kasi may sira na dun sa cable ko or naputol sa loob etc.
after all these years of playing ngayon ko lang napansin un. haha thanks guys!