hulika

Author Topic: WIN XP PRO SP2 VS WINDOWS 7  (Read 1344 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
WIN XP PRO SP2 VS WINDOWS 7
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:10:10 PM »
I was playing back commercial recordings on both Windows XP and Windows 7 and i noticed that Win XP sounded better than Windows 7..Is this possible???   Windows 7 sounded grainy for me.. Am i just hearing things???  :? What do you think???
Music is art in sound...

Offline rocker4ever

Re: WIN XP PRO SP2 VS WINDOWS 7
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:16:35 PM »
windows7 pagkakaalam ko lang sir puro bugs pa....

Offline RATBUMAN

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 02:33:48 AM »
Pareng Baldo - Anong tunog ng recordings kapag MAC OS ang gamit??

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
Pareng Baldo - Anong tunog ng recordings kapag MAC OS ang gamit??
hindi pa ako nagrerecord sa mac pare..pero ok naman kapag sounds sa Logic Pro ang gamit ko..Merry Christmas pare ko..i was about to text you pero nakatulog ako..MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! 8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
Let's not turn this into a mac vs. pc thread. If truth be told, both OS are not true realtime OS which is required for proper audio recording and reproduction. If there ever was a true multimedia OS, it should have been BeOS.

I have access to both win machines and mac in the office. Windows machines will have stability issues if they are not properly configured and have parts carefully chosen for compatibility. Some of our 'sampler' pcs have been working for years without issue, with hardware failure being the only fault encountered. Macs have similar problems with hardware, becoming unstable when drives or power supplies exhibit impending failure. What I hate about MacOS is that you can't tweak it for better performance, and it assumes that their drives do not need defragmentation at all.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:07:39 PM »
If truth be told, both OS are not true realtime OS which is required for proper audio recording and reproduction. If there ever was a true multimedia OS, it should have been BeOS.

Sir Kit, can you elaborate on this? I'm curious.

BTT, if there are differences with the audio quality between WinXP and Win7, it most probably be because of the driver, I think.
Surf's Up!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »
Sir Kit, can you elaborate on this? I'm curious.[/url]

From wiki: "A real-time operating system (RTOS) is a specialized type of operating system and always contains multitasking. They are intended for real-time applications."

I once read this article in Electronic Musician that explained how windows and OSX were not truly multitasking and multithreading, which is a primary requirement for audio. One of the reasons specialized drivers are developed for audio is so that the hardware may address and interact with the memory directly for quasi-realtime operation. You might say that one of the reasons we have latency is because of the OS. In order to make things appear real-time to us, the industry has resorted to ever faster processors and multiple core cpus to distribute the workload. While in a way, systems do appear to work very fast, they still do instructions sequentially, albeit in gigahertz speeds.

BTT, if there are differences with the audio quality between WinXP and Win7, it most probably be because of the driver, I think.

By all appearances, all data is represented as O's and 1's in either OS and the laws of binary math apply to both (or to all OS for that matter). But I still can't get over the fact when Marvin says Angee prefers the sound of Nuendo over Cubase, which is weird considering both of their audio engines were developed by Steinberg.

Does Win7 sound better than WinXP? I think the best way to compare is to mix the same project through both operating systems and see which sounds 'better'. I've been using Win7 for some months now and although that OS is... spiffier, I can't say that it sounds better. Much like saying OSX sounds better that WinXP - I have to say NOT in either case because there is no difference to my ears. It all boils down to hardware and their clocks.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »
i was about to bring this up. Whether it is OSX, Winxp or Win 7 -if your Motu does indeed have proper drivers released for it-there should be no difference in the audio quality because these factors are determined by your drivers and hardware considered all other parameters equal. I currently run WinXp and OSX Leopard on my DAWs at home and at other studios and there isn't a difference from what I can notice. On the homefront, I do not intend on migrating to Snow Leopard or Windows 7 until all driver issues are hammered out for my hardware and software. Just because they say a majority of current XP software may very well be operational under XP doesn't mean it will operate the same way under a guarantee and I won't risk my data or workflow because of that very word - may. I simply don't see my workflow changing very much as a result of migrating my entire working system to a new OS except that I can see more headaches resulting from the uncertainty surrounding such newly released OS'.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!