hulika

Author Topic: Help! i wanna produce a band!  (Read 3061 times)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Help! i wanna produce a band!
« on: April 25, 2006, 06:56:52 PM »
hi everyone. im planning to produce and manage a band.  im doing it for love of music and recording but i am so unfamiliar with how the music business works. of course i still want everyone to sign a clear cut contract to protect all parties involved.  can someone point me in the right direction please? where can i read up on things about the Philippine music business?  thanks!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »
anything at all?
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline Mechanical Dance

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 11:06:39 PM »
A producer should particularly be knowledgeable about the technical aspects of recording, and how to make a band sound good. You can be as hands off as you want, or you can go as far as the Matrix do and even co-write songs with the band.

Your input should mean something to the band and serve to make them better, push them forward. If they release an album and it flops, you'll be the one to blame, after all, you're the producer. As a producer, you have to be able to make them sound as good as possible, and rock as hard as possible.

Now, as a manager, you have to be able to keep the band in business. If you really want to get hands-on with this, you'll be out there to protect the band's image, book their gigs, make sure they get paid their due, and handling their publicity, if I'm not mistaken. As a manager, you'll have a say in what interviews they participate in, a say in the next direction they'll take, etc. Being a manager is just that, management. You're taking care of this band, concentrating on the business aspects of what they do, like the aforementioned.

This is more of a summary than anything, but it should serve to get you on the right track. Keep it up. Also, if you want to know about the Philippine music business, try talking to musicians who have been in the scene a while and know the ins and outs of things.

I hope that helped. :)

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 12:55:16 AM »
Bob Rock should be your role model.

NOT!

Offline tadhana

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:25:09 AM »
helo starfugger. do u have a band already that you're planning to produce? u have any contact # or something?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »
ok thanks for the info but im really hoping to learn about the praticulars ... a producer contract template would be very helpful.

@tadhana, yes i do have a band in mind already.  my contact information is right there at the bottom.  u may send a free sms thru my contact page @ http://geocities.com/soundkitchen_ph/contact.htm thanks!

Offline Mechanical Dance

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:29:02 PM »
Quote from: starfugger
ok thanks for the info but im really hoping to learn about the praticulars ... a producer contract template would be very helpful.

If you're extremely serious about it, hire a lawyer for the contract thing. ;)

Offline Lefthand

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 07:30:54 AM »
do you still remember spellingcontest?
Stealing Kisses. Daydreamer EP.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Help! i wanna produce a band!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 08:57:08 AM »
hi everyone. im planning to produce and manage a band.  im doing it for love of music and recording but i am so unfamiliar with how the music business works. of course i still want everyone to sign a clear cut contract to protect all parties involved.  can someone point me in the right direction please? where can i read up on things about the Philippine music business?  thanks!

I suggest don't just read about it... talk to actual managers and producers about the biz. For management, hunt down Lizza Nakpil (Rivermaya) or Day Cabuhat (Pupil). For record production, hunt down Raimund Marasigan, Buddy Zabala, Robert Javier, or Sancho...just my humble opinion of course.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »
hey, thanks pinoymusika.  at least i know one of those guys personally from way way back. robert javier was alpha record's producer when we recorded a single for a compilation in the late 90's. pinoymusika, is it possible for you to pm me their contact info? thanks.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 08:16:19 AM »
@ lefthand, yeah spelling contest rocks!

@tadhana, you rock! i've had the pleasure of working with these guys last night.  it's been a while since i have seen such talented musicians like them :)

good luck sa inyo!

Offline tadhana

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 02:07:29 AM »
starfugger, thanx for the good remark. we've had the pleasure of working with you also. grabe, she's got incredible skills & ears(our drummer was very happy with the drum mix)! we're looking forward to work with you again.i'll send the pix na lng to your email.keep it up..mismo!

Offline mistah_riddim

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 02:34:48 AM »
In behalf of Hi-Fi Indios, starfugger... or shall I say 'purple haze_' (wearing a purple shirt when we recorded).
YOU DID IT!!!
Excited nanga ko sa next session natin.
What you've cooked at soundkitchen RULEZ!
San man makarating yun thankfull kami sayo. You're skill is one of the main ingredient. (kakagutom ah) :D
Good Drum Sound ...My complements to the chef. :D  :D  :D

p.s.
Thanks for the kind words. Ang tamis mo talaga magsalita. hehehe :D
YOU RULE!!!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:54:47 AM »
aww. jamee talaga. salamat nalang din kahit alam kong gumaganti ka lang.  :lol:  frankly, my job becomes so much easier if the drummer is as good a player as you.  balanse lahat, lumalabas ng maayos yung tunog ng kahoy.  

im getting powered studio monitors very very soon.  hopefully your new demos will sound better than the last ones.  good luck sainyo talaga. you deserve a share of the spotlight, pramis!

Offline mistah_riddim

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 01:10:51 AM »
aww. jamee talaga. salamat nalang din kahit alam kong gumaganti ka lang.

Sincere  ako dun chef starfugger.
Maraming salamat. Sana mag dilang anghel ka. Thanks so much.

Anyway... For bands wanting to record their music, do it at SOUNDKITCHEN.
Good rate, good quality. It's like eating at your fave restaurant.
"SARAP NA BABALIKBALIKAN".
Please check-out the website.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 02:01:21 PM »
thanks for the plug jamee. i reallyappreciate it. hanggang sa susunod!