hulika

Author Topic: Best/Easy way to lay down drums and keys?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Best/Easy way to lay down drums and keys?
« on: May 27, 2006, 06:51:46 AM »
I only recently started playing around w/ Cakewalk Home Studio 9. I'm able to record gtr tracks but now would like to learn how to add drums/percussion and keyboards (basic lang) to my composition projects. These projects are just for outlining the basic elements of the song for use as study by the band; not intended as professional home-based recordings.

At this point, I only need to learn the basics, whilst working with Cakewalk 9. We also have a Casio CTK-591 keyboard at home that's Midi-capable and has drum patterns.

Hope somebody can shed light.  Thanks!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »
HS9 is very much a linear based sequencer and it can be compared to a tape based recorder. Because of it's linear nature, it usually expects midi to be in one continuous clip or a series of clips.

Cakewalk often supplies midi clips of several drum styles in their program folders. You can drag those into a project and copy/paste the clip multiple times for the length of the project. It will sound mechanical so you will have to edit to add fills and other nuances, breaks, etc. You can also add them in realtime with the keyboard though you may have to move notes individually if your timing is a bit off or use the quantize feature.

For keyboard parts, depends on what you want to achieve. For pads, its usually based on the key/chord progression of your song. No need for elaborate 2 handed chord pads; I've seen some pieces where only 2 notes of a chord were usually played. Of course, during choruses and codas where a certain buildup is required, you can complicate things a bit. For other parts with non-sustaining sounds, such as piano, just revolve the playing around the key of the song. Usually, you play around with the scale of the key.

The thing to remember here is not to overdo it. Try to start out with simple arrangements building up to a climax and always add some interesting elements when you find 'holes' in your arrangements. In some cases, a well placed break can add that element of tension.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:59:27 PM »
or you may also try Band in a Box which is a separate program.
in short its a "instant arrangement" type of thing where in you pick a style
and fill in the blanks, then presto export it as a midi file, which can be opened in cakewalk....

or you can try drum loops in wav or mp3 format which can get complicated if you want to align the sample/ loops to the bar lines in cakewalk..

or there are also lots of midi drum patterns floating around the 'net which can be downloaded as a midifile also.  quality will range from good to bad...  but there are also pro drum tracks sometimes recorded on a midi drum kit by session drummers...

using a midi files will require you to learn the basics in cakewalk. opening
a file, learning basic edits like copy/paste/quantize/delete/tempo change
etc.  which will make it worth your while if you decide to get into this whole midi thing.... lots of people in this forum will help you naman eh...

or as a last resort you can connect the casio keyboard to the soundcard via audio ins/outs and just play selected patterns and record them into
cakewalk. you will be just using cakewalk as a tape recorder and the recording won't be aligned into the bar lines (no midi sync) but hey at
least its a start....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline ronnie james jeremy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
CAKEWALK usually includes fruity loops sir, a sample based sequencer with which one can compose and sequence 4 to 8 (or more) drum patterns into loops, only drawback is that  the pre-packaged samples are sounds most useful for dance and electronica, this can be improved by uploading individual drum hits into the beat channels.  Yng vegas ng Radium, me sound sample library na me mga rock at metal na loops, na pwede ring i-chop chop at i-composite as sound waves.  Pareho me online documentation ang fruity loops at vegas, i think.  Bottom line is, for me, it is a tedious and time consuming process trying to program grooving drum sounds (using both fruity loops and vegas )  and trying to make it sound like it was played by an actual drummer so i reverted back to what i've always done since my four tracking days: use the trusty old drum machine in my case a zoom 123

Offline ronnie james jeremy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 12:59:04 PM »
If u like ,I can burn you a copy of the rock and metal drum loops from my discrete drums cd (free from a uk recording mag i bought at the up shopping center) in exchange for a few pointers on how to play slide guitar  :lol: cause i kind of really suck at it

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 01:18:41 PM »
Quote from: ronnie james jeremy
If u like ,I can burn you a copy of the rock and metal drum loops from my discrete drums cd (free from a uk recording mag i bought at the up shopping center) in exchange for a few pointers on how to play slide guitar  :lol: cause i kind of really suck at it

call!  i'm just in up diliman. we can do it after ofc or during lunch. :-)