hulika

Author Topic: Harmonica (Harp) Mics?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline tonnakpil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Harmonica (Harp) Mics?
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »
Does anybody know where can I buy a harp mic locally? Any help would be appreciated.  :-)

Offline okives

• Veteran Member
Re: Harmonica (Harp) Mics?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 05:51:23 PM »
Bro ton, try this Audiophile site :

http://www.audiophilecomponents.com/products.php?p_subcatid=17

check the Shure list.. they have the Shure 520DX "Green Bullet"... don't know if it's in stock though... :lol:

Hope it helps...  :-)
Check out our band sampler : http://www.myspace.com/3logy Rak En Rol !!!

Offline tonnakpil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »
Thanks Bro Okives! Musta na? Longtime no hear.  :-)

I've read from somewhere that the Hohner Blues Blaster is a real bang for the buck (compared to Shure GB). This Shure 520DX "Green Bullet" is really pricey for me.

Anyway, I'm not really after the "high-end" mics. I can't afford that yet. As long as it amplifies my harp, that would do.  :-)

Offline okives

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »
hehe.. ayos lang, bro ton..  :lol:

mas cheaper nga ang price ng Hohner Blues Blaster compared sa Shure 520DX unfortunately though, im not sure where we can find that Blues Blaster sa mga Phil music stores  :-D

i'll give you an update if ever i get some info on this...  8-)

Offline tonnakpil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:30:15 PM »
mas cheaper nga ang price ng Hohner Blues Blaster compared sa Shure 520DX unfortunately though, im not sure where we can find that Blues Blaster sa mga Phil music stores  :-D

i'll give you an update if ever i get some info on this...  8-)

You can say that again! Hohner harps nga wala dito eh... mic pa.   :x :lol:

Thanks man!

Offline masterwindu

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »
Common mics readily available in local music stores and highly recommended and used by prominent harp players are the Shure sm58 and sm57 (really easy to handle) models. Expensive nga lang. :-P

Have also inquired re the Green Bullet at Audiophile dati. Was told it is available but on “special order” basis (meaning more expensive).

Actually found most of the mics I use for harp playing in surplus shops and antique shops. Once got a decent sounding 70’s voice recording mic for p200. Hehe. They usually need a little work (cleaning, re-soldering of circuitry, cord replacement etc..). Sometimes frustrating because you get a 50-50 chance of the mic no longer working or even ‘salvageable’ (even if the seller says it still works). But it’s truly satisfying to get an old mic (especially the vintage ones) working again.

You’re right about Hohners being no longer available in our local music shops. JB used to have them. If anyone has any info where to get them (or other brands like suzuki, hering, lee oskar etc…) please, PLEASE share….

sam

Offline tonnakpil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
Common mics readily available in local music stores and highly recommended and used by prominent harp players are the Shure sm58 and sm57 (really easy to handle) models. Expensive nga lang. :-P

Have also inquired re the Green Bullet at Audiophile dati. Was told it is available but on “special order” basis (meaning more expensive).

Actually found most of the mics I use for harp playing in surplus shops and antique shops. Once got a decent sounding 70’s voice recording mic for p200. Hehe. They usually need a little work (cleaning, re-soldering of circuitry, cord replacement etc..). Sometimes frustrating because you get a 50-50 chance of the mic no longer working or even ‘salvageable’ (even if the seller says it still works). But it’s truly satisfying to get an old mic (especially the vintage ones) working again.

You’re right about Hohners being no longer available in our local music shops. JB used to have them. If anyone has any info where to get them (or other brands like suzuki, hering, lee oskar etc…) please, PLEASE share….

sam

Hi Masterwindu,

Good find! Where were you able to buy this? Antique shops? The only antique shop I know is in Evangelista, Bangkal. Yes, there is a 50% chance that the mic is no longer working, but I am willing to take that chance.  :-D

Yes, I am currently searching for a local music store where I can buy harps (my Hohner was lost at puerto gallera after a night full of beer.  :lol: ). The only harp I have is a Diatonic-C.

Thanks,

Ton

Offline okives

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 03:06:56 PM »
Bro Ton, you could also try "Pier"... Last time I was there ( which was a few years ago  :lol: ) I saw some surplus electronic items being sold ( recording devices, some beat-up and not-so-beat-up musical instruments  :lol:, A/V equipments etc.. ).. Maybe you could get lucky and find a decent Harp mic there... 8-)

RAON is also a nice hunting ground for Harp mics ( If you're not too afraid of the dangers that lies ahead  :-D )... That's where I bought my two Hohner Harps (Salonga Music Store to be exact)...  8-)

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 05:28:40 PM »
hehehe nabuhay ang harp blasters....

Naka bili ako sa Raon(last year<200pesos) ng 70's na dynamic mic. ganda ng tone sa micro cube. medyo feedback monster nga lang pag sa pro junior hehehe.

Pero mas gusto ko sya kaysa bluesblaster mic ko (bought online).
I think the blaster sounds a bit brighter than the DX520, althought isang beses ko lang nasubukan ang 520. Tsaka mas mahirap i-cup pag maliit ang kamay.

Ton and Okives, saan kayo nag-jam?
Masterwindu, kumusta na ang i-mic mo?

BTW..the best option is to just try tons of mics with your amp. Bit-bitin mo amp mo hehehe.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 05:42:35 PM by 430nmtune »

Offline masterwindu

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 01:43:58 PM »
Ton, got the p200 mic at a japanese surplus shop in Valenzuela. There’s a similar shop in Raon, selling solid state japan made amps (and yep, there ARE dangers. Hehe). Have had some good finds din in evangelista (pasay, right?). Last year, saw a pair of old Jensen speakers pro didn’t have cash and wanted to research more on them. When I went back for them closed na yung shop. Sayang. :cry:

Like okives mentioned, i’ve heard that pier is a good place to hunt for old stuff. Kaso, when a friend of mine was there last week mostly tv’s and washing machines daw. I’d still like to look myself though.

Hey 430nmtune, musta? My i-mic’s still alive. Had to abandon (for now) my second i-mic. Too busy with work. By the way, would you have any tips on buying harps/mics online? Sobrang scarce na kasi harps locally so I’ve been really considering the option of buying tru the internet.

sam

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 07:04:57 PM »
@masterwindu:

Currently busy ..lipat bahay...funny thing is that you find old harps nad other harp related stuff and you get stuck in your 'packing up'.
Online , I only buy from reputable sites. I think I bought my B.B. mic from amazon. Use visa pra meron kang konting protection. Kung harps lang i can email you if I will be in Manila and you can get them at cost.

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »
@tonnakpil:
kumusta na ang harp mic hunt mo?
have you tried the raon area?