hulika

Author Topic: Q> How do you cut through the mix without being too loud or too bright?  (Read 5874 times)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Q> How do you cut through the mix without being too loud or too bright?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
I feel that there are two ways to go about it:

a) Get a real toneFULL guitar and amp that does not need to be loud to cut thru OR
b) Tell the whole band specially the drummer to back down on the volume to let you cut thru

Option b) is easier than option a).

Since I used to play guitar and NOW am learning to play drums, I learnt that the drummer sets the overall volume of the band.  And if you cannot cut thru, then your drummer has poor skills in dynamics and overall musicianship.

Can't agree with FM55 enough. When folks say "your band is only as good as your drummer", the reference wasn't only in time keeping skills, but also with volume management.

A heavy handed drummer in a small area is frustrating to the listeners and players. The rest of the band's response to this (if inexperienced) is to turn things up louder.

A good group listens carefully. So discourse among bandmembers about volume and eq in the mix is very important. You'll notice with more accomplished groups is that they actually "back down" when it's a soloists turn. Listen to any Allman Brothers live recording. The rhythm section is as smooth and bubbly as a jacuzzi, slightly softening to "lift" the soloist, and responds to certain licks.

But when they hit the peak or climax of the solo, it's still controlled. There's a ceiling to the volume.

Talk to your band. Talk to the soundmen. Lift those mids as well, eq things during soundcheck.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline toybitz

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
you need mid hump!
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 05:47:11 PM »
same principle po ba if ang tugtugan leaning more on...let's say...doom/sludge metal?
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
Some points on this:
1. Everybody should listen to everyone. And make adjustments on the fly. This takes practice and patience.
2. Make sure your amp or monitor is tilted towards you or at a good listening angle. If its flat on the floor, you can hear it well until everyone plays.
3. Be patient with tweaking the amp.
4. Configure your EQ. Identify your EQ setting for each tone such as clean, crunch, lead. Sometimes even at the right volume, you still sound washed out in the mix. Mid or solo boost are the expressions that come to mind.
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline guitarnewbie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the way to cut thru is in your hands. both figuratively and literally.
1. buy a good guitar. you can try squier or epiphone for a start. but if you can save up, proceeding to gibson or fender will be better.
2. im guessing you're not the only guitarist in your band that's why you cant cut thru. so one way will be to play a different chord than the others. e.g. M7, m7, dim, sus, etc. with these chords, you will cut thru the mix with minimal changes in the other band member's volume

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
the way to cut thru is in your hands. both figuratively and literally.
1. buy a good guitar. you can try squier or epiphone for a start. but if you can save up, proceeding to gibson or fender will be better.
2. im guessing you're not the only guitarist in your band that's why you cant cut thru. so one way will be to play a different chord than the others. e.g. M7, m7, dim, sus, etc. with these chords, you will cut thru the mix with minimal changes in the other band member's volume

Wouldn't the singer have problems when someone adds extended chords over the progression?
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline guitarnewbie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
well you can always try it out during the rehearsals. there is no hard and fast rule regarding extended chords. personally, i try it first before using it during the actual performance. in my experience, they do not encounter any problems because the singers have the bass and keyboard playing the root chords for them

here are some techniques that i use:
1. extended chords are used mostly for chords with 7, and
2. no.5 in your chord progression. e.g. in the key of A, E is your no.5 chord. 

and if it does work, it works beautifully because of the added "flavor" to the overall sound.

3. you can also add slash chords e.g. C/E, D/F#. this is safer if you want minimal changes to the sound of your chords. but be careful in using these chords because it is "key" dependent.

hope this helps

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
well you can always try it out during the rehearsals. there is no hard and fast rule regarding extended chords. personally, i try it first before using it during the actual performance. in my experience, they do not encounter any problems because the singers have the bass and keyboard playing the root chords for them

here are some techniques that i use:
1. extended chords are used mostly for chords with 7, and
2. no.5 in your chord progression. e.g. in the key of A, E is your no.5 chord. 

and if it does work, it works beautifully because of the added "flavor" to the overall sound.

3. you can also add slash chords e.g. C/E, D/F#. this is safer if you want minimal changes to the sound of your chords. but be careful in using these chords because it is "key" dependent.

hope this helps

Sorry for being a noob, Some more question (medyo OT na). But I was just confused on the method of using embellished chords to cut through as it is new to me, So given I have a GMaj7 then I can add either a fourth or a ninth to make it more beautiful? and isn't the 5th a standard part of  whatever chord as it is the initial component of a triad? Slash chords are like adding a note over a triad as long as it is in key?

Offline guitarnewbie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
like i said bro, try it. let your ears tell you if it's right or wrong.

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
like i said bro, try it. let your ears tell you if it's right or wrong.

Oh, Thanks.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
The question of cutting through a mix is not an issue of harmony, but of sound in general. I don't agree with this approach simply because you're essentially deviating from the musical work's design just to be heard; sort of putting the cart before the horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline chernandez1

Again, thanks guys! These are some useful stuff. Some might work, some might not. We'll try it as a team here. I really appreciate how helpful you guys are. Thanks!
If there are encounters, there are partings as well

Offline slowspeeder

• Veteran Member
What I do is turn up the mids and the presence midway and adjust it from there, and I turn down the highs a bit. Then I engage the booster pedal during solos. a good amp is a prerequisite, I suggest valve type ( I recommend you invest on a very good amp as priority, more than guitars). '... nice sound sir, ang taba ng tone ng guitar mo...' is the comment I usually get with this. Then tell your drummer 'huwag manggigil...'  <_<
Gibson LP Std + Marshall Stack = Rock n Blues
JPP CA 4xx gLp/AF#3x a/s/p/Cc#&/MMc#x8

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
Correct! Itaas mo ang mids frequency. Dapat ang eq mo parang inverted V pero wag naman matulis ha. Then cut down your delays and reverb.  Basta babaan mo ang high frequency mo sa eq

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Correct! Itaas mo ang mids frequency. Dapat ang eq mo parang inverted V pero wag naman matulis ha. Then cut down your delays and reverb.  Basta babaan mo ang high frequency mo sa eq

Another good point. basic recording technique din to, more reverb = more backseat. delay = more atmosphere.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
I dont know much about the science on how sound travels, but try slanting your amp in a way that the speaker is looking at your ears.
Normally the amp is just standing there in front of your knee. But when I try slanting it, it cuts significantly. I dunno how you guys will find it.
That if you have access to a amp stand or a wall where you can lean the amp onto it
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:15:55 AM by pao2pao16 »

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
Nice insights guys. So it's more of the team being in sync than the individual skills right? cool cool.

very true!  :-D

well nothing more to add here, but i am an ardent believer and practitioner of the mid-y guitar sound. malakas pumalo drummer namin, at malakas din rhythm guitarist namin, but i can be heard soloing even if the rhythm guitarist is busy chugging away.  :)

if you have a wah (and your music allows it) you can use it as a kind of eq to find a sweet spot to cut / be heard. ala michael schenker / john sykes
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
In my experience playing in a band it's all about band dynamics... The band can let any instrument shine through as long as they play as a band

We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
In my experience playing in a band it's all about band dynamics... The band can let any instrument shine through as long as they play as a band

Quite true! Playing soft rhythm while the lead guitarist does the solo is the simplest way to cut through the mix. After the solo, the lead guitarist then lets the  rhythm be heard. Same with the other instruments. Everybody wanting to be heard at all times is the worst mistake in a band.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus

...The band can let any instrument shine through as long as they play as a band

Hear, hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline spanishsteel

depending on the situation, adding gain may not always be the answer for you to "cut through" in the mix. boosting mids a bit in conjunction with a slight increase in volume can help in most situations. to achieve this, i usually add an equalizer at the end of my fx chain set with the mids boosted just a tad, which i engage everytime i need to be heard above the band. hope this helps...
TRANSACTIONS:crosstrainer,nimrodthebomber,Gi9i,japaniman23,5thsunset,erie,wireme,poorsche,progressive_pilipinas,turiguiliano,yahoo!,mike.b.,j.pablo,Damuhongbata,
Psalm_tayo23,Smilelines,bamborger,spankyrigor,mahineman,ikingtan,sulayman44,chardiwinks,ETC..

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
On adding gain ... I used to own a D'Pergo strat... Really beautiful but wouldn't cut through the mix. I tried boosting with more gain but the more I gain up, the tone would get more compressed and lalo akong lumulubog sa mix.

After that, the more I appreciated having a cleaner and simple tone na galing Sa power tubes instead of tone dependent on pre amp gain.

The cleaner tone to my ears seems to cut better actually...

We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline jimny

• Veteran Member
The cleaner tone to my ears seems to cut better actually... +1