hulika

Author Topic: Teaching kids to play guitar  (Read 4658 times)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Teaching kids to play guitar
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 05:22:23 AM »
I would select songs that would keep them interested... like Spongebob squarepants song.... or you know, stuff that they watch sa tv. They have all kinds of how to play in YouTube.

yeah,i almost stopped around 15 because when playstation came out and started playing crash bandicoot like crazy, good thing games like Twisted Metal 1 and 2 got me to pickup the guitar again

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »
yeah,i almost stopped around 15 because when playstation came out and started playing crash bandicoot like crazy, good thing games like Twisted Metal 1 and 2 got me to pickup the guitar again

whats wrong with twisted metal??

i love the TM3 :-D
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »
whats wrong with twisted metal??

i love the TM3 :-D

nothing wrong with it, i actually would like to emphasize that it made me pickup the guitar again and play,

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 08:47:05 AM »
After ni Taylor Swift, Taylor Dane naman..hehe
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 08:48:25 AM »
After ni Taylor Swift, Taylor Dayne naman..hehe
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
My daughter is 8 and she's starting to play na din. I got her one of those short scale gut strings (around 2k sa RJ, 6k sa yamaha). It stays in tune pretty well and the intonation is ok din.

I first got her started on single note melodies (like twinkle star) so she could see (or hear) properly fretted notes and how to hold them down. Then I showed her a right hand exercise where she plucks p-i-m-a-m-i-p and holds down a note on the 1st string 0-3-5-7-5-3. She found it amusing enough (I guess because it sounds classical-y) to play it over and over for almost 2 months :lol:

Now she's doing open chords and I've been buying the local song hits mags and transposing her favorite songs to the chords that she knows (A, E, D, their minors and 7ths, C and G). Also, I've written down a "beginner's chord chart" for her where we avoid playing barre chords (for now) and move the notes around to and/or play fewer strings.

Its been working out good so far and I've learned a few Taylor Swift and Myley Cyrus songs (all transposed to A or D). :lol:

Good stuff. You gave me ideas. Hmmm... Myley Cyrus, Jonas Bros, other Disney talents, songs from Clueless, High School Musical, etc. Ok this will take a while... -)

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »
I found this topic interesting... naghahanap lang ako sa google, anyway taga bass place po ako. mag kwento lang ako kahit mahaba pasensya na. Just wanted to share.
My little boy is nine, inspired sya sa guns and roses particularly the appetite album. At madami pang new songs na emo ang tawag. Una nahihiya sya, kase usapan sa bahay bawal pag laruan guitars and basses. anyway... then nagroon ako ng project with this nine year old kid Luis. Feb 2009 ito nag start mag guitar in nov 2009 eto na sya, i played bass here pag nag live sya. check out his page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LuisMetalKid

This december, binili ko little boy ko ng classical guitar na micro sized like the ibanez sa sta. mesa. Great looking at great sounding low action and most of all can be tuned sa standard tuning. Anyway I choose the nylon string just to spare my kid for the hardship of pressing the strings.

Una tinuruan ko sya ng parts ng guitar at posture.
Then yung mga number sa kamay o fingers.
then chords,... dito na sya medyo na start ma frustrate dahil sa bar chords.
Para di sya mawalan ng gana, binili ko sya ng chord chart so he could study on his own. Sa Lyric Cubao P15 lang yun, made of card board.
At para ganahan sya makatugtog tried teaching him power chords. Naisip ko ituro ito kase madali kabisaduhin ng places sa fret at string na i press nya 2 lang palagi.
Isa pa karamihan ng kanta nya e power chords driven.
Open ako ng laptop then tinuro ko power chords ng narda ng kamikazee (Hit sa bata ito dahil sa tele serye na Darna). We played along with the song. Alam nyo kahit paulit ulit nag enjoy talaga sya.

napansin ko lang just as long as fueld sila with new songs they like to play, mag pursige sila, lalo na may internet at youtube. Sometimes diko alam yung song so I have to learn it to be able to teach him.

Gusto ko magtuloy ito, kase may discipline sila pag natuto ng musical instrument, at isa pa swerte sila kids dahil magaganda na ang mga beginner type ng instrument ngayon.

Yung Idea ng DAGA chords na nabasa ko somewhere here is true... Salamat
ton2x

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
nothing wrong with it, i actually would like to emphasize that it made me pickup the guitar again and play,

the tracks??
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »
^^May future yung LuisMetalKid, pero di dito, dapat punta sya ibang bansa.

Offline st_anger

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
I found this topic interesting... naghahanap lang ako sa google, anyway taga bass place po ako. mag kwento lang ako kahit mahaba pasensya na. Just wanted to share.
My little boy is nine, inspired sya sa guns and roses particularly the appetite album. At madami pang new songs na emo ang tawag. Una nahihiya sya, kase usapan sa bahay bawal pag laruan guitars and basses. anyway... then nagroon ako ng project with this nine year old kid Luis. Feb 2009 ito nag start mag guitar in nov 2009 eto na sya, i played bass here pag nag live sya. check out his page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LuisMetalKid

This december, binili ko little boy ko ng classical guitar na micro sized like the ibanez sa sta. mesa. Great looking at great sounding low action and most of all can be tuned sa standard tuning. Anyway I choose the nylon string just to spare my kid for the hardship of pressing the strings.

Una tinuruan ko sya ng parts ng guitar at posture.
Then yung mga number sa kamay o fingers.
then chords,... dito na sya medyo na start ma frustrate dahil sa bar chords.
Para di sya mawalan ng gana, binili ko sya ng chord chart so he could study on his own. Sa Lyric Cubao P15 lang yun, made of card board.
At para ganahan sya makatugtog tried teaching him power chords. Naisip ko ituro ito kase madali kabisaduhin ng places sa fret at string na i press nya 2 lang palagi.
Isa pa karamihan ng kanta nya e power chords driven.
Open ako ng laptop then tinuro ko power chords ng narda ng kamikazee (Hit sa bata ito dahil sa tele serye na Darna). We played along with the song. Alam nyo kahit paulit ulit nag enjoy talaga sya.

napansin ko lang just as long as fueld sila with new songs they like to play, mag pursige sila, lalo na may internet at youtube. Sometimes diko alam yung song so I have to learn it to be able to teach him.

Gusto ko magtuloy ito, kase may discipline sila pag natuto ng musical instrument, at isa pa swerte sila kids dahil magaganda na ang mga beginner type ng instrument ngayon.

Yung Idea ng DAGA chords na nabasa ko somewhere here is true... Salamat

nice story... ako sa june pa ipapanganak panagnay ko pero nakahanda na lahat yung guitar and amp nya hahaha, he/she must learn how to play the guitar haha

Offline lenpopz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »

+1

Ayaw ko ng maggitara. Anlupet ni LuisMetalKid!
Don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him.

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »

Madalas sa gig gabi e, medyo hassle sa kanya, at puro matatanda yung nakaka appreciate.

It's a show e, imagine a 9 yr old boy doing a shred. sometimes I scratch my Head during our rehearsals.

Thanks din po sa naka appreciate ng story ko. Now Almost a week na walang hawak ng guitar yung little boy ko. nag sound trip lang daw at psp, and we let him play outside too  :-D.
Mahirap kase ipilit e. sabi ko nga encourage niya classmate nya para may ka banda sya, hehehe...
ton2x

Offline mandarin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »
My daughter is 8 and she's starting to play na din. I got her one of those short scale gut strings (around 2k sa RJ, 6k sa yamaha). It stays in tune pretty well and the intonation is ok din.

I first got her started on single note melodies (like twinkle star) so she could see (or hear) properly fretted notes and how to hold them down. Then I showed her a right hand exercise where she plucks p-i-m-a-m-i-p and holds down a note on the 1st string 0-3-5-7-5-3. She found it amusing enough (I guess because it sounds classical-y) to play it over and over for almost 2 months :lol:

Now she's doing open chords and I've been buying the local song hits mags and transposing her favorite songs to the chords that she knows (A, E, D, their minors and 7ths, C and G). Also, I've written down a "beginner's chord chart" for her where we avoid playing barre chords (for now) and move the notes around to and/or play fewer strings.

Its been working out good so far and I've learned a few Taylor Swift and Myley Cyrus songs (all transposed to A or D). :lol

hi nutz

ayos yan ah.. my daughter is turning 2 this month. she is already aware of the guitar and can strumm /sing twinkle twinkle little star/ABC Song while i do the chords for her. i hope that she will be interested with CG (just like daddy). i'll share with you some videos when i have a chance.. hehehehe

best regards

joseph (ramos)

Offline renz13

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
paglaruin mo sila ng guitar hero ma iinspire sila
Taylor Swift.  :-)
+1 idol ko yan eh hehe :evil:.....lahat ng pinsan kong bata yan ang gusto ipatugtog sakin lagi....yung lead parts ng song nya medyo cool :mrgreen:hehe
Transactions: yahoo!, sinosimelo, pentagram x, BossingBoss, masterchoxter, r_chino18, Souljp21, Xelly, Atomo, steliocore, allanfig, captcalamares, cenchria

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

Its been working out good so far and I've learned a few Taylor Swift and Myley Cyrus songs (all transposed to A or D). :lol:

this is nice, would be a great bonding, quality time together  :-D

my daughter would go tinker with my gear whenever i am playing the guitar  :mrgreen:

btw, she's 3 turning 4 this year  :-)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:37:31 PM by changedmynametojimi »

Offline renz13

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »
kakatuwa naman mga story nyo.....sana may anak na ko hehe :evil: :evil:tagal pa yun 13 palang ako eh hehe legal age na po ba yun dito sa philmusic?
Transactions: yahoo!, sinosimelo, pentagram x, BossingBoss, masterchoxter, r_chino18, Souljp21, Xelly, Atomo, steliocore, allanfig, captcalamares, cenchria

Offline bianxraquel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2010, 12:55:11 AM »
hey, this is nice. a coupla years more and i'd look back on this thread to get tips because i would like my future babies to learn how to play instruments, be musically-inclined, one day.  :-)

i'd probably start early. like if baby is still in me, i'd play music and plop the speaker on my belly. that way when he comes out, he'd be all chillax. they say music that early helps with the baby's progress.

then if he/she turns 1 or 2 i'd buy those small nylon geetars. sure, at that age they wouldn't 'know' yet but hey, if they can slap it with their palms then that'd be great.

then if he/she turns older and can actually hold something properly without throwing the thing away or chewing on it, i'd buy a nice starter kiddie geetar, whichever is available. now, since i only know major chords and nothing else, i'd prolly get a tutor. and if in case the daddy is a guitar player, then there's no need. 

i'd prolly teach him/her piano instead, since i know how to play it more than i can play gee-tars. and the banduria, which is what i'm good at.

apart from that i'd buy all sorts of kiddie instruments, see what my future kid would want to play. if he/she wants to play all, that'll be so rad.

some people would say parents shouldn't force their kids into doing something they don't like just because the parents want them to out of their own personal frustrations while growing up, is something i would have to agree on. but if properly nurtured, in a good home and a loving family, and most importantly if the kid actually WANTS to play any musical instrument, then enforcement of skill/encouragement to play is appropriate.

oh can you post details of kiddie-sized musical instruments, how much, where you can buy them from, specs and the like? for reference of other parents and interested posters.

hmmm. nakakatulong din ba ang promil? si luis metal kid kaya, nag promil din?  :-)

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 02:52:05 AM »
pwede mo nang turuan ang kids mo na mag play ng guitar using full size guitar, si ana vidovic nga eh classical pa gamit, 52mm wide ang nut ng classical compared sa (42-48?) ng acoustic.

tignan mo nangyari sa kanya nung lumaki na sya:

sa experience ko sa pag tuturo ng guitar sa kids, they can take everything kakayanin nila lahat esp skills wise, ang pinaka importante is to motivate them, kasi mabilis mawawala interest nila pag hindi sinusubaybayan, na nangyari sa karamihan ng naturuan ko...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:00:26 AM by rainierito »