hulika

Author Topic: Is there a software for creating music scores?  (Read 771 times)

Offline amak

Is there a software for creating music scores?
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
guys wanted to know if there are any software to make music scores... i have this big dream of becoming a music score artist lmao..

any links? thanks! :-D
"The notes are all under your fingers, you just have to know and play them"http://www.myspace.com/dieagram

Offline bellhaus

Re: Is there a software for creating music scores?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 01:40:28 AM »
nuendo4

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »
If by scoring, you mean the score sheets? It's either Sibelius or Finale.

If you mean sequencing a score to a movie, there are several schools of though on that one. Nuendo is ok but is too expensive to be used for plain scoring; it's main strength is in audio post production since it lacks the proper midi tools initially, and most scores are usually done in midi. Cubase is more midi oriented and is used by a lot of famous composers, including Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams. Over here at Carmel House, Gerard Salonga and Marvin Querido prefer to use Cubase for their scores although when printing out the lead sheets, Gerard prefers Finale while Marvin uses Sibelius.

Another program that seems inclined towards scoring is Digital Performer, which seems to have very good cueing options, very important when syncing to film. Although all major sequencers have the usual sync options, this cueing option in DP seems unique to it.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline djshoi

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »
Try the instruments in http://www.bigfishaudio.com

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »
If by scoring, you mean the score sheets? It's either Sibelius or Finale.

If you mean sequencing a score to a movie, there are several schools of though on that one. Nuendo is ok but is too expensive to be used for plain scoring; it's main strength is in audio post production since it lacks the proper midi tools initially, and most scores are usually done in midi. Cubase is more midi oriented and is used by a lot of famous composers, including Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams. Over here at Carmel House, Gerard Salonga and Marvin Querido prefer to use Cubase for their scores although when printing out the lead sheets, Gerard prefers Finale while Marvin uses Sibelius.

Another program that seems inclined towards scoring is Digital Performer, which seems to have very good cueing options, very important when syncing to film. Although all major sequencers have the usual sync options, this cueing option in DP seems unique to it.

+100

Kit pretty much nailed it already. You can also use Logic, Ableton, or Protools.

In my case, since I know reason like the back of my hand, I use that rewired to Logic for the video for all my scoring  :-D