hulika

Author Topic: Buy used online (but w/o local service), or new from dealer (w/ local service)?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Used products in Ebay are more than half the price of the price that local dealers offer them, but is it more practical to buy recording equipment used online but not have service/parts locally, or buy new from a local dealer that ensures you of local service/parts?

I'm guessing that if you're a pro, buying from a local dealer is advantageous, because you will need service if your moneymaker breaks down; and since you make money off of the equipment, THAT pays for the premium. But if you're a home studio guy who does it for fun, will the premium be worth it?

So far, I'm having difficulty with a broken Presonus Firestudio Project that I bought used online. The local dealer (Modular Display Pro) will not accept it because I didn't buy it from them, despite me offering to pay for whatever service that they have to do to it (to the disbelief of my car audio repair guy... because it apparently isn't the case in the car audio world, with car audio products and their dealers here). So it will take a lot of money and time to ship it to the US, pay for repairing, and shipping it back. What it has done to me is that it practically disabled my home studio, and leaves lots of other  equipment laying around doing nothing. (Imagine my frustration... FU Modular Display Pro).

So, I'm contemplating about replacing it with a new unit. Would you recommend me to still buy online, or from a local dealer?
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline sl1200ltd

Hi, why not report your problem through email... address it to the U.S. Presonus http://www.presonus.com/about-us/contact-us/ main site, I know they will be the one to address your problem through your local distributor.  :evil:  :-D

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hi, why not report your problem through email... address it to the U.S. Presonus http://www.presonus.com/about-us/contact-us/ main site, I know they will be the one to address your problem through your local distributor.  :evil:  :-D

That doesn't answer the question, but yes, I emailed a few times and called na rin. Presonus requires the unit to be registered before they attend to tech problems. The problem was, the original owner had not registered the unit; because I bought the unit second hand, I don't have some info that is required for registration in Presonus. Bale, nadaan ako sa technicality. :(

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
damn, that's messed up dude. i think customer service should always trump whatever technicality there is. i mean registered or not, only presonus manufactures presonus. try going direct to rick naqvi, he's a easy guy to talk to  :-D . ako din i purchased my interface online, sobrang mahal kase sa modular display. another thing, dapat i accomodate ka din ng modular display kase sila representative ng presonus dito, i mean opportunity na yun para ipakita yung advantage ng pagbili sa kanila instead ng online diba, wrong tactic on their part. kakalungkot naman kung ganyan.

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
The 2 main reason why foreign companies assign local distributors/ resellers/ dealers: Greater sales coverage and localized support.
Most of the time you'll really find dirt cheap prices online compared to a local disty, this is because they are used units or does not include the other costs. With local disty, you must also consider things like shipping cost, custom duties and taxes (30% on electronic products + 12% VAT that local politicians put in their pockets) that needs to be put on top of the MSRP or Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. There's also this thing called currency adjustment since the products are NOT locally manufactured, but imported.

Now to answer your question, go with a local reseller. Because you don't want to be in a situation similar to where you are right now. If ever you decide to go on ebay, make sure that the product that you are buying is either registered or has registration details that you can use for warranty claims. As far as Avid/Digidesign products are concerned, we have what we call Transfer of Ownership for those products purchased 2nd hand.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:54:28 AM by abusound »

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
damn, that's messed up dude. i think customer service should always trump whatever technicality there is. i mean registered or not, only presonus manufactures presonus. try going direct to rick naqvi, he's a easy guy to talk to  :-D . ako din i purchased my interface online, sobrang mahal kase sa modular display. another thing, dapat i accomodate ka din ng modular display kase sila representative ng presonus dito, i mean opportunity na yun para ipakita yung advantage ng pagbili sa kanila instead ng online diba, wrong tactic on their part. kakalungkot naman kung ganyan.

Yea, that's what I meant by the car audio thing. My car audio guy told me a story of his client who had a similar problem as mine. What the guy did was call direct to the manufacturer (forgot which...Clarion yata) and complain. The manufacturer responded by instructing their local distributor to attend to the service request because,they said, that their company's reputation is at stake. Now, I've contacted Navqi via email,but I guess he hasn't seel my emails, because he hasn't responded yet.

@abusound...
Thanks for the perspective, and the suggestion.

I think the local retailer's POV and position against any blackmarket is well-known. I only guess that Presonus via Modular Display failed at "localized support". I guess I understand their position--if they encouraged repair of foreign sourced units, they might end up being just a repair shop and not a distributor, something that they apparently don't  want to happen.

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
precisely, it's the companies reputation that they should be protecting. besides, being an accredited repair shop is not a bad thing, they could make money on that  :-D

Offline sl1200ltd

or try sending your unit for repair maybe... Hong Kong or Singapore which is cheaper to ship.  :-)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
or try sending your unit for repair maybe... Hong Kong or Singapore which is cheaper to ship.  :-)

Right now, I'm going to send it to a Guitar Center store near my sister's place in the US. I called them and they said they'd accept repairs for it even if I didn't buy it from them. I'm just waiting for someone to go to the US, para makikisabay ako... tipid sa shipping.

In the meantime, my home studio can make do with an M-Audio Fastrack Pro. :)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
I just called JB and they said that they will accommodate servicing of units even if it wasn't bought from them. They will be the one to coordinate replacement parts, etc. NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Dear Presonus, you just lost a customer to Focusrite because of your local distributor. Not because of your product's features, but because of service.

JB = WIN
Modular Display = FAIL

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
I just called JB and they said that they will accommodate servicing of units even if it wasn't bought from them. They will be the one to coordinate replacement parts, etc. NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Dear Presonus, you just lost a customer to Focusrite because of your local distributor. Not because of your product's features, but because of service.

JB = WIN
Modular Display = FAIL

nice. in fairness, JB's customer service is really improving. that's good to hear bro. so ibebenta ko na ba presonus ko?  :-D