hulika

Author Topic: FILM (movie)/ Photography Schools?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
FILM (movie)/ Photography Schools?
« on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »
Looking for these type of schools. Can be short courses or the normal ones. From basic - pro. I believe there is one in UP and Asia Pacific. But Asia pacific's is kinda expensive. :lol:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:19:05 PM by higad »
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: FILM (movie)/ Photography Schools?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »
Looking for these type of schools. Can be short courses or the normal ones. From basic - pro. I believe there is one in UP and Asia Pacific. But Asia pacific's is kinda expensive. :lol:
College of St. Benilde.... Medyo mahal din yata.. im not sure eh.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline smartkat

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:06:15 AM »
There is only one Film Institute here in the Philippines, it's in UP Diliman. They train you to become film makers and not some person in a tv show.  :-D
Quote from: ning
ano ba meaning ng up?  :D

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »
There is only one Film Institute here in the Philippines, it's in UP Diliman. They train you to become film makers and not some person in a tv show.  :-D
its very academic there...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

Offline smartkat

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:59:32 AM »
UPFI is offering workshops every summer. They have different courses to offer such as cinematography, scriptwriting, scoring, etc. and it's just for 7,5k-10k under serious enlightenment of big time filmmakers. You'll even have a chance to get your hands on a 35mm goodies. If you want a crash course, Mowelfund would definitely help you. If you have a tighter budget, there are a number of free workshops all year long. You just have to watch out for it.

But I reckon to trust your own tastes, just watch a lot of movies. It's all you need. trust me.

itchybrain

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
its very academic there...

Alumnus here. I think you're referring of the Dept. of Film, College of Mass Communication, UPD. No offense meant.

There's also Mowelfund Film Institute. I guess they're still active but not as mcuh when i was still there.

You can contact MFI, 727-1915/61. UPFI, 925-0286.

To the TS:

I suggest you try entering workshops. Madami diyan from different organizations but  also research who the facilitators are. If you want to be a filmmaker, it's best to learn from the best (Directors, Cinematographers, etc..). Learn the basics of different department then specialize on one (ex. editing or cinematography).

Importantly, huwag ka sumabay sa uso, tol. Let your passion lead you to your dream.

Hope this helps.

itchybrain

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:39:52 PM »
UPFI is offering workshops every summer. They have different courses to offer such as cinematography, scriptwriting, scoring, etc. and it's just for 7,5k-10k under serious enlightenment of big time filmmakers. You'll even have a chance to get your hands on a 35mm goodies. If you want a crash course, Mowelfund would definitely help you. If you have a tighter budget, there are a number of free workshops all year long. You just have to watch out for it.

But I reckon to trust your own tastes, just watch a lot of movies. It's all you need. trust me.

No offense meant, bro. But how do you mean by your statement above?

I, too, love watching movies and I learn from them. But it's wrong to say you need not study the techniques in filmmaking.

Kaya di umaangat ang Philippine Cinema dahil sa misconception na lahat pwedeng maging direktor o filmmaker. Learn the techniques then create. It's way better that staring at a blank wall and dreaming.

Unless you are a genius.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:44:11 PM by itchybrain »

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:54:10 PM »
@badungga
just finished checking the site. I think I'm gonna go for it but not now. Tatapusin ko muna autocad class ko. hehe.

@smartkat
I think I would pick mowelfund over UPIF, not because I am into crash courses or I am too lazy to have the whole 4 years for studying another course but because someone told me that I have to get a grade/average of 2 just to get inside UP (which can be the easier part because maintaining 2 is going to be a problem). But if they do not require any high-grades to maintain, then I'd go for it.

@itchybrain
I'll put that in mind. Smarkat is right about watching a lot of movies. But that doesn't stop there. I really have to know the theories, learn the techniques and have it done in a proper way. Just like in music, if you want to learn to play/create jazz, you have to learn to listen to jazz first. But that does not stop there. Because if you already know jazz, every bit of detail that you could add into it would make it sound way better/different. Another step on how to learn to play jazz is to determine the best gears to use. Then learn the first step up to the last step on how to make 1 jazz song. That is why I need to learn the basics of filmaking and so on.

all:
Anyway, thanks for answering my inquiry. If you have more suggestions / tips about my topic or related to the topic, just post them here. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:04:59 PM by higad »
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline smartkat

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »
No offense meant, bro. But how do you mean by your statement above?

I, too, love watching movies and I learn from them. But it's wrong to say you need not study the techniques in filmmaking.

Kaya di umaangat ang Philippine Cinema dahil sa misconception na lahat pwedeng maging direktor o filmmaker. Learn the techniques then create. It's way better that staring at a blank wall and dreaming.

Unless you are a genius.

I didnt say technicalities should be disregarded. If I did say that, I'll be a hypocrite. Yea, FAVC reprezent too yo.

Falling in love first with watching movies is the crucial step in filmmaking. I've met a lot of people who are stuck in film school but lacks the heart of it. It's sad to say that most film schools these days are into much technicalities that they forget that extra oomph for improving. What I'm saying is, we need more groundbreaking films. We need fresh ideas.

Aaaaaand... I do have to disagree with you that Philippine Cinema is still in that spiral. The independent scene showed it's brilliance in filmmaking all over the world. Filmmakers like Brilliante Medoza, Khavn dela Cruz, Raya Martin among others took the whole country to that level of respect given only to the most talented artists in the history of film making. You above people should know that.

Hindi lang naman kasi director ang considered as a filmmaker. We need prod managers, gaffers, cinematographers, prod designers, scorers, and all that. Everyone can be a filmmaker as long as he or she has the heart and commitment for it. "Talent is easy to find"

I'm a "she/sis" btw.  :-D

okay yung mga workshops na inooffer ng karamihan. I'll update this thread if there are new ones. :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:42:51 AM by smartkat »

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »
I've always wondered about this as something I'd like to get into as well and as much as we do need foundations in learning, I asked one veteran director and he said "you really don't need to go to school to be a filmmaker. You just need the passion to do it."

I guess it's just the same like in music where we can have someone well versed and educated in theory but if his heart isn't fully committed to making and playing music, someone who studied by himself alone in his room can make something more of himself in the long run.

And before I get slapped by the more learned people here, I'm not saying schooling isn't needed. It's the reason why I visited the thread in the first place coz I'm curious about what's on offer  :-D

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 02:21:39 AM »
join workshops. learn the basics. search the net, and be CREATIVE...

itchybrain

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 09:01:14 AM »
I didnt say technicalities should be disregarded. If I did say that, I'll be a hypocrite. Yea, FAVC reprezent too yo.

Sorry what's FAVC?

Falling in love first with watching movies is the crucial step in filmmaking. I've met a lot of people who are stuck in film school but lacks the heart of it. It's sad to say that most film schools these days are into much technicalities that they forget that extra oomph for improving. What I'm saying is, we need more groundbreaking films. We need fresh ideas.

True. No argument there.

Aaaaaand... I do have to disagree with you that Philippine Cinema is still in that spiral. The independent scene showed it's brilliance in filmmaking all over the world. Filmmakers like Brilliante Medoza, Khavn dela Cruz, Raya Martin among others took the whole country to that level of respect given only to the most talented artists in the history of film making. You above people should know that.

True in our Independent Cinema. But as a whole not yet. Dante's success indeed helped our films to be noticed but do you think the whole lot of Filipinos would watch his films? Probably a few like us. We're on a roll again. "Again" meaning this has been done during my time. And until now the same thing. So what's wrong? You tell me. When was the last time that a mob would watch Filipino movies in our theaters? Manny Pacqiao's fight?

And what's wrong with mainstream directors like Mike de Leon, Joey Gosiengfiao and Topel Lee? Ba't puro independent filmmakers lang ba ang nagbibigay buhay sa cinema natin? Open up. You'd discover great things in mainstream cinema.

Hindi lang naman kasi director ang considered as a filmmaker. We need prod managers, gaffers, cinematographers, prod designers, scorers, and all that. Everyone can be a filmmaker as long as he or she has the heart and commitment for it. "Talent is easy to find"

Dear, argument yan since film school pa lang. If you want to be a filmmaker, make films. Period. The truth is filmmaking is a collaborative thing. True. So true. But the fact of the matter is my gaffer just wants to earn. So is my PA. So is my PM and my EP. Filmmakers have passion. These guys need work. See the difference?

But if you're thinking of careers after film school tama ka. Maraming careers. PM, AD, DP, etc.. Pero baka semantics lang na naman ang argument na ito.

I'm a "she/sis" btw:-D

Sorry I didn't know.

Well, this not the right forum to discuss these things, really. Let's just make films. Regardless if it is for mainstream consumption or intellectual masturbation. The most important thing is to make films. Diyan magsisimula magbago o umangat ang Philipppine Cinema. Kung maraming gumagawa ng maraming klaseng pelikula, mararaming manonood kesyo independent pa yan o mainstream.

I hope this is not too OT. Pero I believe this is important for those who wish to study filmmaking in the future. If you have plans of being a filmmaker, be ready to be poor after you graduate. :-D No joke.

Thanks for the time.

OGi Sugatan / itchybrain
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:04:19 AM by itchybrain »

Offline smartkat

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
OT:
@itchybrain

ooohkay.
FAVC means Film and Audio Visual Communications. It's under the college of mass comm in UP Dil.

I mentioned these directors because they exemplify the current independent scene.mmm. yeah.

I know it's gonna be hard and I'm dead beat excited to get out. Thank you for enlightening me Mr. Ogi Sugatan. :mrgreen:
 :-o

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 12:32:57 AM »
I make movies... Patay, Birthdays, etc... I direct also... Kasal, debut... I edit with premiere pro. export with canopus.

Then, we create music videos.... we help make Film Projects ng mga students, movie presentations for christian churches, reenactments of events... blah blah... but everything is made with basic knowledge ONLY... matched with CREATIVITY and PASSION...

... then research research and research on the net about the trends...join some seminars, youtube is also a great help... kung ano ang meron, ano ang wala, ano ang nawawala, ano ang magkakaroon...

PERO KUNG MINSAN, NAGHAHANAP TAYO NG CERTIFICATE.... So we look for schools...

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
There's a school also in Cebu.  Featured sa FTV ang mga ibang shoot nila.  They even have underwater shoot.

Offline Jayson77

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17:57 AM »
Oh, I think filming birthdays, weddings & debut is different from filming a movie.
Placement of lights, haze machines, railings and scopes are used, Metering of the subject from the lens. Magkaiba sila sobra.
J&J Virgo Sales Corp. Silkscreen Printing Inks and Supplies

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
haba na pala nitong thread. @smartkat and itchybrain, thanks guys, we are learning a lot from you. :D

@jaysonn77
yup, may edge kasi pag may certificate. hehe. pero that depends. shempre. for example, maghanap ka ng dalawang gitarista, tapos yung isa bigyan mo ng magandang gitara, yung isa wala, syempre, mas may dating yung may gitara. (sorry napaka-labo ng example) :lol: pero syempre, pag tumugtog, dun na magkakaalaman.

itchybrain

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 01:31:31 AM »
haba na pala nitong thread. @smartkat and itchybrain, thanks guys, we are learning a lot from you. :D

@jaysonn77
yup, may edge kasi pag may certificate. hehe. pero that depends. shempre. for example, maghanap ka ng dalawang gitarista, tapos yung isa bigyan mo ng magandang gitara, yung isa wala, syempre, mas may dating yung may gitara. (sorry napaka-labo ng example) :lol: pero syempre, pag tumugtog, dun na magkakaalaman.

Pero may certificate ka nga pero wala ka namang nagawang pelikula... Digs? Ito mantra ng MFI: The only way to learn filmmaking is to make films.

Offline junelle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 02:03:42 AM »
Sino nakakaalam magkano yung 5days na workshop for basic photography sa photo world manila?

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 04:30:25 AM »
@itchybrain

digs. kumbaga, parang yung kakilala ko, jangas nga yung soundtrip nya, dehins naman marunong tumugtog.

@junelle

check mo to:

http://photoworldmanila.com/workshops/

Offline smartkat

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »
There's a school also in Cebu.  Featured sa FTV ang mga ibang shoot nila.  They even have underwater shoot.

That's Bigfoot. They're known internationally but they are still so quiet in the scene.

Offline iarekevin

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
Asia Pacific Film Institute (Mandaluyog, beside POEA edsa)

http://www.asiapacificfilm.com/APFi_-_Pinoy_Film_School/Home.html

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
Photoworld Manila. :-)

Offline leygomz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
I have a friend studying at Marilou Diaz-Abaya Film Institute (MDAFI) at Beverly Hills Subd. Antipolo  :-) AFAIK 1year yung basic program nila, tas kung gusto mo magtuloy ng advance course nila another year ulit. Teachers are MDA herself, Mr. Nonong Buencamino, Dave Abaya (Bad burn), and many more. You can check their website at http://www.mdafilm.com/  :-) I hope this helps mga sir  :-)
I have the best seat in the house right between the guitar and the bass!!!